Author Topic: Dandelion wine  (Read 432 times)

netforce10

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Dandelion wine
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:35 am »
So, I went and got the brewing quest, it asked me to make 3 dandelion wine barrels and 3 barrels of another wine. Since I know how much an annoyance it is to make (quite a bit less so than certain items from other skills but still) it got me musing pointlessly:

So according to a random recipe dandelion wine takes about 2.3 liters(230g) of dandelions to produce 3.75 litres of wine.[1]

In PS both the weight and size of dandelions are 0.1(which presumable is in kilogram and litre respectively as can be seen from ingots, assuming the metals are the same as their IRL counterparts. There are other items which don't follow this however.) so it would take between 12 and 123 of the ingame dandelion items to make a barrel. Or if the 0.1 is a placeholder then since it takes 75 dandelion to produce about 20 litres(not accounting for the barrel) then the volume and weight for a dandelion should be 0.16355.. ~= 0.16liters and 0.016kg respectively.

Meanwhile irl wine take ~40kg of grapes to make ~23 Liter(might be vastly different depending on specifics). Both Terevan and Joopiner berry bunches are 0.5 in weight and volume so you would need about 70 of them to make barrels of 20 litres as opposed to needing only 15 of them as is currently the case.

Personally I don't really mind that dandelion wine takes a lot of dandelions since it makes some sense, however the 15 pots of hot water on the other hand are annoying. I would instead either use the dandelions directly in the fruit press or use a mug of hot water instead of a pot of hot water.

Personally I would also increase the amount of terevan and joopiner(juiceberry and macca aswell I suppose) you need for a barrel of wine. or alternatively decrease the amount of dandelion you need. I'm more a fan of the former although it would "necessitate" 400 strength more than it already is.

The current economy makes the following point a bit moot so it doesn't really matter, however I would still like to see an increase the price of wine, especially dandelion wine. For barrels of ~200q the prices are as follows(storage withdraw tab)
Terevan: ~3800   (15.2C)
Joopiner: ~3600 (14.4 Circles)
Juiceberry: ~1300 (5.2C)
Dandelion: ~1200 (4.8C)
Macca:   ~1100   (4.4C)

So terevan/joopiner cost about three times as much yet they are easier to get since you can buy them amass from an npc a bit outside the forest. Dandelions/juiceberries however need to be picked up/gathered and their supply is more limited so they should cost more from a game mechanics perspective. There can ofcourse be good IC reasons why such wouldn't be the case.

Similarly 300q teas go for 675.(storage withdraw tab) I'm using 300q ones since it is relatively easy to make 300q teas while making 300q wine is (almost?) impossible unless I'm missing something(like high quality water buckets).

So a barrel of wine divides into 5 bottles and a bottle divides into 4 goblets or 20 goblets in total. each goblet would then cost 180 tria or three to four times less than a tea. Alternatively you could look at how much tea you could make with the dandelions required for a wine barrel, 75 teas. so 50,625 tria (202C) meaning that wine is 40 times less or so. I suppose you could argue that that's how it should be however since teas give buffs.

Basically I think it would be good to replace the "pots of hot water" with "mugs of hot water" or remove that step entirely, furthermore increase the price of dandelion wine to something more similar to joopiner/terevan or even more than those. Similar with juiceberry and macca although to a lesser degree. I would also make all the wines take roughly the same amount of ingredients as is currently the case for every wine except dandelion(same with melomel and ciders for that matter).

Anyway those are my thought on the topic
Larili Soriol

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
Re: Dandelion wine (carts and assisted carrying)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 03:48:08 pm »
A tangential thought of mine:  if vehicles were added in the UE version, then players could pull carts around to carry their barrels.
Strength would only be needed to load and unload from carts and elevators (i.e. the rooftop).

It would be fun to code in an ability that allowed you to assist other players with heavy loads:  activate the ability, then one of you grabs the heavy item and places it in a special inventory slot; maybe this would look something like the window for trades.  While the two or more are carrying, if any player moves outside some radius from every other player in the carry-group, and if the mass of the item then exceeds the total strength of the group, it is then dropped at a point equidistant from each player.

Pardon the digression.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn