Author Topic: Guild Spotlight: Discussion Thread  (Read 13198 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Guild Spotlight: Discussion Thread
« on: March 11, 2007, 02:50:42 pm »
As always we here at the PlaneShift realize that a game is nothing without its community! We are lucky to have such great people surrounding this game already, so we are going to be holding bi-weekly Guild Spotlights to let newcomers know what guilds are out there.

Getting the spotlight is done via voting, split into two one-week sessions. First, send a private message:

• to the user “guildspotlightâ€
  • with your nomination
  • and your own character name

When the week is up, the nominations for each guild will be made into a poll and you can then vote for all the possible choices. You cannot nominate your own guild, and a guild cannot be chosen twice in the same year – there is a very large number of many good organizations and they should all be given the chance.

When a guild gets the spotlight, the leader will get an in-depth interview, giving you the chance to learn about the guild’s path to success, their structure and management model, inspirations, and their failures and struggles. There are both in-character and out-of-character components: in-character because above all we need to get a feel for the guild from an inside source, and out-of-character because at the end, we are all players with the same goal – to have fun!

The spotlight thread will be stickied for two weeks in this forum section, and given a permanent page on hydlaa.com, so consider it some very good publicity if you are chosen! ;)

Also feel free to use this thread for discussion of the idea :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:20:48 am by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Spotlight: Concept Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:24:48 pm »
some thoughts that jump to mind.

I can imagine that players will use alts, alt accounts, alliances and any possible method they can think of to get their guild the excellent advertising this would offer. How do you plan to see if they even have an in game character when they vote?

I can also see some people trying to make a joke out of it, maybe by nominating the latest 'soon to die' guild just to hasten their collapse when people see the interview.

What would happen if the leader of a guild was banned from the forums? that might be an interesting occurance ;)

Anyway, im sure you have thought about such things. :)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 03:32:18 pm »
Good concerns to voice :)

As people cannot register and send PMs automatically, they will have to stick around and make at least 10 contributions to the forum. It will cut out some of those too lazy to make the effort. Second, I could ask for each nomination to include the name of your character - and this I can check in a split second. Is there a chance alts will still be used? Definitely - but if I see some guild receive many nominations from characters I have never seen, and I check their in-game time and it turns out to be less than an hour each, I will put the nominations under investigation, and the guild on hold. Is that a bit better?

I can also see some people trying to make a joke out of it, maybe by nominating the latest 'soon to die' guild just to hasten their collapse when people see the interview.

That's not a worry I share. I think people will take this opportunity more for what it is.

What would happen if the leader of a guild was banned from the forums?

If the leader is banned from the game, the guild cannot be chosen for obvious reasons. A ban from the forums however does not affect this.

Nurahk

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 03:33:11 pm »
I think we can trust on the community to not be too dishonest about this.  And with only being able to be nominated once a year, I don't think it should matter.

What about organizations though, like the Dark Empire.  Can the IIA be nominated? or does it count as DE?

Please say it's seperate :P

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
An umbrella organization like the DE would not count by itself, but its separate branches would, and can all be nominated on their own.

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 03:40:01 pm »
Bi-weekly means a 26 guild cycle minimum doesn't it? Isn't it possible the spotlight will go out before the first guild becomes eligible for a second turn? Hopefully that will not happen. How many official guilds are there?

Nurahk

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 03:41:18 pm »
4 from the Empire. \o/

Well, soon.

Much more than 26 in all, I'm sure.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 03:42:21 pm »
There are at least 30 (closer to 40) guilds I know are active from our current stickied Guild List, and more are popping up all the time :] I don't think we're going to run out of material.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 03:54:16 pm »
Bi-weekly means a 26 guild cycle minimum doesn't it? Isn't it possible the spotlight will go out before the first guild becomes eligible for a second turn? Hopefully that will not happen. How many official guilds are there?

I can't think of all that many big active Guilds I see in game. Maybe 10 at the most. Not including the ones who don't even use these forums that much...
(Edit: Or not :P But most of the Guilds in the sticky I've never heard of, let alone seen in action...)

And hate to be the Guild that gets its spotlight during Christmas, or Easter, or one of those other holidays nobodies around for...

But personally I don't see how this would generate more interest than the regular Guild Threads. Most of the people who'd care the most are already devoted to certain guilds already...

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 04:02:58 pm »
I think it's a great idea. i wondered about that name when I saw it registered. I had no idea it was official though. I'd have expected some capital letters :P
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 07:02:18 pm »
I can't think of all that many big active Guilds I see in game. Maybe 10 at the most. Not including the ones who don't even use these forums that much...
(Edit: Or not :P But most of the Guilds in the sticky I've never heard of, let alone seen in action...)

And aren't you just dying to see this change? Particimapate, folks! It'll be really fun :]

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 08:15:15 pm »
I like the idea! Good job Karyuu. Helping the community as always.  \\o// 

I'll vote.
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 06:20:07 pm »
Looks amazing Karyuu!

You cannot nominate your own guild, and a guild cannot be chosen twice in the same year – there is a very large number of many good organizations and they should all be given the chance.

Good thing there's more than one Imperialist Guild to vote on then! *evil laughter*
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 10:21:08 am »
any non-enki that dont vote for the H'okyba da ojaveda for first is gonna die *insert laugh here* no but seriosly this might actualy be a good idea still sceptical of how its getting done. Also i feal this might just pormot the makeing of guild for the hell of it i know of a few guilds that have put a lot of thought into and aint as active as they once use to be as well *points to protectors amongst others*.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 10:32:33 am »
Good thing there's more than one Imperialist Guild to vote on then! *evil laughter*

That brings me back to the point I made about alliances, are the DE guilds allowed to vote for each other?

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."