Author Topic: Contributor Guide - Suggestions!  (Read 758 times)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Contributor Guide - Suggestions!
« on: May 06, 2007, 09:08:07 pm »
I brought this up on IRC just a while ago, but the atmosphere there is rather confusing to keep track of something like this for too long :) So I turn to mah babeh - the forums.

I'm working on a "Contributor Guide to PlaneShift Art," a PDF booklet that is meant to be a much more thorough and updated version of our "Guide to 2D/3D Contribution" sticky. It will include things like naming conventions, keeping up a good organization and workflow, rules and guidelines (texture sizes, poly counts), and offer tips on subjects ranging from concept art to animations.

What I need from you before this thing is finished, are suggestions on what you would like to see addressed as interested contributors or prospects. This guide is not a tutorial - you're not going to be taught how to model, how to texture, etc. Hundreds of tutorials on these subjects exist online, and it would be impossible for me to jam them into one PDF (although I will provide many links to the very best of them). I'm talking more about PlaneShift or CrystalSpace specific questions. How to export, what the polycount limits are (both of which will be addressed), and similar. To make sure this thing will really be helpful for you guys, I need to know what documentation would make your lives easier. I've had to learn everything either on my own, or by bugging other people directly about the specifics - and it's been a tiring and grueling task I don't want others to have to go through. So what is missing for you? What information don't you have that impedes your ability to make your own PlaneShift-ready art?

Throw words at me, I eagerly await them.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

dying_inside

Re: Contributor Guide - Suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:12:14 am »
The basic outlines, model limitations, texture mapping sizes etc.

An "art style" limitations?

As in Planeshift has a specific look to it. Somthing about that? I;m not entirely sure what I'm trying to say other than discouraging people from submitting super shiny ultra realistic looking models to a game which doesnt have an ultra shiny realistic art theme.   That make sence?

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:16:56 am »
I know it's not a tutorial but seeing as it is important have where the poly count can be found on commonly use aplications and also the texture size (even though I've never had a problem with that). For concept art direct them to the fan art projet maybe? Names of people to bug, because no booklet will answer every question and problem that may arise.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 11:52:17 am »
I've mentioned texture sizes and poly counts in my original post, so let's not get repetitive :) Where to find the poly count is a good idea, I will keep that in mind. Names, however, may change over the course of time. I will simply mention a way of finding out who to contact.

Keep suggestions coming!
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:34:58 pm »
Tips on character texturization and humanoid modelling would be dashing, m'lady.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:35:57 pm »
I am not an artist, but I would suggest giving a visual example and breakdown of each type of in-game art asked for, using official game art.

I am going to borrow rast's submission as an example:

Simple Models should be in a format similar to this:

But instead, use the in-game mug as an example, and perhaps make the actual model available to study.

I am sure a great many people would also love to see a 'Grey's Anatomy' of one of the actual character models, UV, and skeleton. Or, better yet, giving them one to play with in their own 3D program. There is only so much you can learn by looking at a 2D picture of a 3D object. It would help greatly in 'getting it right' when trying to construct a model intended for submission.

Buildings, structures, and others would also benefit from visual examples. I guess this comes from my years of drafting and architectural design, where it is generally required to study someone else's work before you start your own. And easier as well.

Hope that helps. :)