Author Topic: New PS Review  (Read 597 times)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
New PS Review
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:49:31 pm »
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/planeshift/player_review.html?id=436661

Also, a different aspect that comes to mind is the ability to define your character pre-story. You can select who your parents were, what you did in your childhood, which deity you worship, how you were born and so forth. All of these then influence your starting attributes and abilities. In my opinion, a very nice extra that should be implemented into other games as well.

A very interesting feature is the ability to actually chat with NPCs. You could, for instance, say "Give me a quest!" and the NPC will gladly reply asking you to get him his breakfast. The chat-with-NPCs system even allows you to make choices and discuss different topics. Very nice implementation that has quite a bit of potential to it.

I pulled the quotes above from one of the added reviews nested under the main review. The main review displays a serious lack of understanding of how the project is structured and how the game itself works. The complaints basically fall into the "not enough graphics/functionality content" category as they usually do, coming from players who are used to getting their every whim catered to.

But there is a  pattern to the positive comments, and I thought the two above were interesting. So that popped up on a google today and looked like a recent review, so I thought I would post it here. FYI.

I checked the date on the review and it is actually an older review, but something changed in the google rankings and it came up at the top for some keywords I check on a regular basis. Google must be making changes internally. Sorry for that...

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:51:11 pm by verden »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New PS Review
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:28:16 pm »
Reviews don't usually pat PS on the back for being a volunteer-run project, because reviews don't give an A for effort. You get an A for being an awesome game, and PlaneShift isn't there yet, regardless of the awesome effort spent on it. Most positive write-ups are by players who have stuck around for several months and have found a reason for doing so. The negative are from players familiar with many other MMOs, and are looking for more than PS can currently offer.

Game companies are successful by catering to player whims. It's how they stay afloat, and it's why there haven't been any WoW-killers to date. No one does it as well. It's also why I found the following comment distasteful:

The complaints basically fall into the "not enough graphics/functionality content" category as they usually do, coming from players who are used to getting their every whim catered to.

That's usually what makes a game fun, as an enjoyable use of someone's time. Pretty graphics, and a lot of functionality. In general, dismissing players who want this might not be a good idea, because this is really what PS is striving to become. A lot of people really do make whine-like remarks about slow progress (and reading reviews with typos makes me want to dismiss the author's entire opinion, truth be told), but once you get past all the defensive reactions in your head, it's worth noting that their points are just as valid as the positive ones.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »
I noticed some guy had an awesome review.  TreadMeat or something.. no idea why he uses that name but, I bet he's hella sexy :P

Sexy writing, too
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:05:35 pm »
Obviously he's doing it for monetary gain.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.