Author Topic: Concept on PVP  (Read 418 times)

openstar

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Concept on PVP
« on: December 29, 2004, 09:28:37 am »
Long time playing mmorpg i have a bit of experience about pvp

First thing about pvp is to have a Bank system i will explain why later on.

i dont think a full pvp server will be a good idea, it quick kills the game like on DAOC pvp server. Newbies cant progress easily and it decourages them.

But on the other hand the best game i know was Ultima Online due to is PVP and PK system.
Let me explain the concept and propose to adapt it.

on UO nearlly all server maps where pvp area and when u died u drop all u stuff on you. that can seems foolish and i dont propose that but It gave a greet interest to the game.
because even the strongest char could die crossing land and drop all his stuff. so each time u go away from city u have to wonder will i take all my best stuff to be powerfulll and kill monsters or players or should i take normal stuff not to loose my best stuff ?

on the other hand u had a color system to distinguish a peace full player (blue), a player that just commited an steal or an attack on another player in the last 5 minutes (grey) and a full pk used to kill players (red)

That system gave an other great interest.
It could seem interesting to be a pk to take stuff from other people but ...
 Being a pk u become red and visible, and then u cant go in cities any more because guards will kill u on sight
AntiPK will have no trouble to identify you and hunt u.

Another thing was that when u died being a pk (being red) u lost 10 times more skills than a peacefull player will loose. a PK could loose hundred hours of play when dying.

All that contribute to a game made on PK guild, hide in contryside, AntiPK hunting them and other player.
For my part i had no guild and pk used to help me at the beginning seeing how poor was my stuff... gaving stuff they loot from stronger player.

What we can tell about all this is the following :

Full pvp is hard to handle and quite risky for the game if not very well equilibrate.

NonPVP could be a bit anoying for those who want to have an evil or chaotic rp... World is not always good
and pvp system make fear take u before ur pc and give a real interest to the game

What i propose :

Keeping in mind that pvp should help game by giving a fear dimensiion to players who choose peacefull path, giving the possibility to players to choose an evil path, making new guild aim on PKing and Anti PKing i propose a mixed solution :

* some newbies area could be non pvp
* some high level area could be full pvp
*others area could have a percentage of tranquility that guild could pay to increase or decrease in order to make them pvp area or peacefull area

* player could drop money and sometime an item when duying from pvp to give an interest for pk

*a color system could help to recognise pk giving fear to peacefull players and permitting to identify Pk easily, which is at disadventage for PK players

* When a PK dies from whatever kind of death he could loose much more skills and experience than non pk in order to have less PK. Being a PK is a hard job and a real choice of life. ur not a pk just because ur stronger than the others.

* A Wanted system could be implemented. this could permit to put money on someones head and will be at disadventage of pk because we ll quickly see antiPK hunting PK for money

* A bank system could be implemented to put ur best stuff and money to a safe place before travelling.

Hope that could help to give a better idea of PKing concept.

Keep in mind : PK helps the game but Being a PK should be a real choice of life and a hard path.

2old

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 06:10:44 pm »
Some interesting ideas there.

I do like the fundamental philosophy that PK is a \'hard road/path\'

This would mirror real life (any point in history) where murderers were shunned and hunted (unless they were the nobility).