Author Topic: Something for merchants, thieves, assasins, animal tamers, mercenaries  (Read 1894 times)

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2004, 10:53:49 pm »
The only was this would work if there\'s more than one such pk zone, more than one road for merchants to choose from.. It\'d be pretty lame if same old road would be constantly used for such attacks.. At the same time, if there are safe roads that lead to same areas, no sane merchant (unless who likes risks) would take the unsafe road. So you are suggesting to have only one way of getting from one place to another and that\'s through PK zone?

swift

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2004, 11:01:26 pm »
Personally I\'m thinking that there should be at least three ways between major cities, towns and trade locations.  

Players should have the option of :

a) Take the main road.  Long, but you can travel fast (it\'s a good road) and safe from hijackers.  

b) take the secondary road.  Shorter, you can travel quite fast, but no guaranteed safety from pkers.  

c) Go off-road.  Short, but a caravan can\'t travel very fast here.  Player killers abundant here.  

This gives people the option of opting for faster travel, leading to higher profits, or slower travel in safety.
Ingame Names (CB) : Calcius Sakor, Timgiffney Calcior

Armenelos

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 10:48:16 am »
The reason the loot would be random is to cut down on some complaining hopefully, its easier to complain about a thief when he gets to choose the items he is going to steal but when what he can steal is randomly picked there would hopefully be less to complain about.  As much as I wouldn\'t want this it has to be fair.

Or as previously suggested in another thread, if you steal an item, the item stays with player, in this case a merchant, but the thief gets a \"ghost\" of the item which he could redeem for a certain amount of money at the thieves guild or where ever.

Tarachnul

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2005, 04:10:03 pm »
overall this is a nice idea but...

why is it ive only sen the idea of hirring gaurds only vaugly mentioned?

i mean theres already a guild dedicated to hiring its members out and hiring gaurds would in the end leave the merchant, trader, watchamacallit feeling much more at ease. this would also allow a position for fighter characters in your system.

Not only this but a band of theives could hire out their members as \"False\" gaurds along with the other gaurds in order to increase their chances of stealing the caravan.

(FYI i am in no way affiliated with the Mercenary Guild)

-Tarach
Uuma quena en\'mani lle ume, ri\'mani lle umaya; uma ta ar\'lava ta quena ten\'irste\'  
(Speak not of what you have done, or what you are going to do; do it, and let it speak for itself)

Black_rose

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • If I could I would, but I don't know how.
    • View Profile
    • My myspace is all I have
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2005, 06:38:24 pm »
I like this because,

in RL a person would have dificulty carrying one thing of armor but 50??? impossible. full armor should be highlyexpensive, and very hard to make in any state. mainly armor sould be vests and some forms of chain (harder to find).... and leathers. some grecko-roman armors would be easier to find/make.

well im putting this in a thread.
KABLUMMPPP!

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
dislike ghost part
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2005, 09:46:32 pm »
dislike ghost part entirely.

reasons:

. Some players would team with friends, loot each other, and become insanely rich

.  Looses all sence of reality, something must be lost

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms

DA-BOMB

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 10:30:35 pm »
This is all dandy for teh theives, but there has to be an upside for the smith, besides the obvious trade.

On way to do this works in with one of teh ideas i\'ve heard about mass iteams. Iteams beign insanly expensive but in low qunaties. So there has to be a BIG payoff for making teh trip. BIG. Mabye carvans should also move faster or not have fatigue (whenever its implemented).

Also, just for fun, have theives use a caravan and hide more theives in teh back. When the get robbed itstheif vs theif. Just had to say it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 10:30:55 pm by DA-BOMB »
Atlas

Nimfis Altmer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 04:13:29 pm »
Thats a very good idea indeed but if the caravan has to pass through a free-pk place what would happen if it was filled with bandits and thieves..Because if this idea was introduced ever single person with a weapon will wait outside and kill the merchants who come out...Wouldnt be very fun :P

But if you made the free-pk paths for instance Short-cuts
that the merchants could take then it would make a bit more sense.. having a key that the merchant weilds that can unlock his caravan is also good but what happens if the merchant leaves his caravan out there..The thieves/bandits would just guard it until he comes back..Make sense?

Other than those minor flaws its a good idea..Could use a few brush ups though. :P :D :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:14:20 pm by Nimfis Altmer »
O RLY!?

WizardsRule

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
$$$
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2005, 07:02:12 pm »
THe merchant should pay a toll to take the pk free paths

The evils of past repeat themselves in many shapes and forms

Nimfis Altmer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2005, 07:29:41 pm »
Take a toll. thats just stupid (No offence) how are they going to travel. what happens if they dont have any money but need to get to a place in a hurry. If they take the pk path all the players in the game would be there waiting for there caravan and then kill or even worse chase the driver off and guard his caravan for when he comes back
O RLY!?

TheRedMonk

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2005, 07:32:31 pm »
The toll idea is actually very good IMO.

If they take the safe way they have to pay for safe delivery and will also lose time since the way is much longer. The toll should be very high, as a matter a fact, higher than what it would cost to hire a group of mercenaries to protect the caravan. (this way the system is more balanced)

Taking the free but more dandgerous way has it\'s advantages and disadvantages as well. The way is much shorter and allows you to do several trips and, if you are lucky, even reach your destination without suffering any losses. Big problem is of course that you can run into enemies and lose a lot of the merchandise.

Good idea WizardRule! ;)