Author Topic: fullbright gone  (Read 1016 times)

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
fullbright gone
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:19:22 am »
Is there a new equivalent to -fullbright in 0.4.00?  It is too dark to see half the time.  Unless portable torches are implemented in-game, I need a technical fix to let me see better in the dark.  (It has to be planeshift-specific-- I need to keep my monitor calibrated for graphics work.)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: fullbright gone
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:44:33 am »
fullbright does not work with lighter2 maps so now that most maps are lighter2 it no longer works sorry

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:04 pm »
Is there some way to adjust the lighting xml files so that everything is not so dark?  This is a game-killer for me.  Planeshift is essentially unusable now unless I luck into a mid-day gametime.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:21:02 pm »
Is there some way to adjust the lighting xml files so that everything is not so dark?  This is a game-killer for me.  Planeshift is essentially unusable now unless I luck into a mid-day gametime.

I dont think there is anyway sorry.

StitchedChin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:45:11 am »
Yeah this is a game killer and ruins the role playing experience.  Every RPG since the beginning of time has allowed characters a light spell, potion or a simple torch/latern to help them see.  And if that isn't available, some inherient trait to some races like night vision, usually for dwarfs or elves and I'd especially think it'd be available for a cat-like race.  Must be more difficult to program into a game than we think...

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 11:51:37 am »
this should be fixed soon(tm)

svuun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:19:44 am »
fullbright does not work with lighter2 maps so now that most maps are lighter2 it no longer works sorry

wrong.

using the -fullbright option works in in the BD map where without it half the maps is of black textures and is necessary to use that option. It also works in the gugrontid for a fact (i had left the -fullbright option left on in the planeshift shortcut by acccident) though that map is generally well lit.  i know a few users that use it.

if windows: make a planeshift shortcut and in the shortcut target field add -fullbright after the "planeshift.exe"

I can't vouch for other maps though so caveats for those.  Try it I guess and see what happens.  You lose all shadows and it doesn't look nice graphically but playability is far more important obviously.

just clearing up this myth about not being able to use -fullbright.

If you're on a mac I'm not sure how to help you but if you do know how to add -fullbright alot of mac users would appreciate it b/c it seems alot of them are wondering how.

there is another thread about black textures: http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=31713.0 that has a little bit of relevance and talk of another option "-relight"

Good luck and don't be dissuaded from trying planeshift if this works out for you.  Fortunately there's community and while someone might not be totally knowledgeable, the community as a whole is.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:22:48 am »
BD happens to be a non-lighter2 map ;)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

svuun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:24:06 am »
ah so must gugrontid be as well. ah well, was worth a try.

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:33:27 am »
I am using Debian, had this darkness issue too. Workaround for me was to make my graphics drivers rise GAMMA setting. It made my desktop a bit too dark, but now I can see Hydlaa entrance from Bronze doors road. You can probably make a very simple starting script before and after your game starts and stops to change the setting only when the game is on.