Author Topic: Death and progression points/skills  (Read 2939 times)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Death and progression points/skills
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 04:28:48 pm »
Quite simply and its been stareing people in the face - you lose your memory IE your progression points and random levels in skill.

trust me it was considered. a longer period of time for the curse was considered as well. drakku's curse is where it is for a reason. part of it is to keep the whining to a minimum. even then the uproar when it was introduced was tremendous. something on the level that you are proposing would be like... i'm not sure of the metaphor but it'll come to me. things sit where they are because that is where they best fit.

but that doesn't mean that such is ruled out. many things are planned(tm) for the dr, and some will be shown sooner(tm) then not.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 07:39:06 am »
As the age of players is so high (compared with other games), I say that penalty should be high, so people ARE afraid to die. The skills taken is very good idea,. I just want to add, that removed level amount should be in percent, not in amount of levels. Because to regain say 5 levels at level 80 is much harder than than at level 5. So experienced players would be more scared of death. Another gain would be not scaring away new players, as they loose not lets say 5 levels and drop the game, but they loose say 10 percent of their gained levels. 10 percent for beginner to get back is quite doable. 10 percent of experienced player takes maybe a month. How many percent would be decided by GM, so they can see what amount works best.
Another thing would be desirable - when you die, you can be looted, but just for regainable items (buyable, craftable and not quest items, at least until player count in game isnt 5K ;)   ). And be lootable by anyone in proximity, so in guild fight some items could be gotten back buy guild members. How about that?

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:07 am »
a bit tricky given that your are bodily transported to the dr.

besides if you weren't we could always bring back that old, and currently abandoned, death concept that a fatal feild surrounded you after you died. breaching the field meant that you died too. wuold have been cool to see a dead chain.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 07:52:40 am »
Sorry, suggestions about loosing skills if you die can only come from powergamers and from people who have enough spare time to play this game for hours, IMHO. Someone who spends most of his time roleplaying or someone who is just a casual gamer does not have the time to regain lost skills that easily as the powergamers I see around so often.

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 08:56:30 am »
Ok, the bodily transportation could be delayed for some 10-20 seconds. Or  that half an hour, hehe!!! Just joking ;) If nobody loots in that time, then all items stay on you.

Mrokii

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 09:55:41 am »
As the age of players is so high (compared with other games), I say that penalty should be high, so people ARE afraid to die. The skills taken is very good idea

nope it's not, imho. As others already said, every permanent loss of of pratice points or skills will be extremely frustrating and it will help nothing. Instead, one the following things will happen:

1. If you are a power-leveller and just do RP sometimes, you will most probably reduce your RP to regain what you have lost. After all, that is what pure powerlevellers do, right?

2. Weak characters will get extremely frustrated because they do not have many skills anyway and they will feel as doing the same thing over and over again (actually, this is what they will be doing). All in all, this would only drive many players away, I would say.

3. Implementing static effects will lead players to be more careful, but is this really what you want? It will make players only fight monsters they really know they can handle (If they know about that at all, and as far as I know, you need a certain amount of int to be able to know that).

This may a bit off-topic, but I really have the feeling that more and more ideas are brought up that demand changes just for the sake of realism. This is still a game, and as every game it should be fun to play it. Additionally, it is *not* a game that should be based on pure realism. If I want like to play such a game, I would choose "Sim City" or something like that. Each and every decision should be made on the basis, that most players have fun playing. Frustrating them without any real cause will only make more players turn away.

And a last remark about the death-penalty: In contrary to what it may look like, I have no problem with the way it is now. I had no problem with it when it really bothered me because my character was weaker. And I would also have no problem with a larger death-realm, maybe one with changing exits or something like that. But every permant removal of skills is (imho) way too much.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:17 pm »
The whining caused by the 30 minute time out is already too piercing for my taste.

We'll take it under consideration.

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:05:07 am »
The whining caused by the 30 minute time out is already too piercing for my taste.

The penalty can be useful, when i were under its effect i was able to train some weapon on such NPCs which i would kill in an instant if have all maxed stats :)

tadill

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 06:20:57 pm »

return the person to the place they died from ie if you die in bd well you spawn there that would stop folks from abusing the /die
and keep the penalty perhaps shorten it. but still keep it

citizen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:29 am »

return the person to the place they died from ie if you die in bd well you spawn there that would stop folks from abusing the /die

Now thats a really good idea! It eliminates the gain shortcutting thru DR.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 04:11:26 am »

Yeah, really great idea. Let's asume you died from an Ulbernaut attack and as soon as you leave DR you are back to the same deadly Ulbernaut again. So you have to introduce a time when you cannot be attacked. Or you have died by hitting the cavern floor in BD. Are you sure that there is a way up from there? And list of things to solve certain drawbacks goes on and on... I prefer simple solutions so I'm still for spawning in a safe area and the settlements offer this more easily then any other place.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 05:48:45 am by Kaityra »

Prolix

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 09:24:26 am »
Just eliminate the spawn points completely and create a long arduous dynamically generated path through to the burial wells. That way clawing your way out of the Death Realm really is a chore. This could be done by making a number of relatively short maps that connect randomly to each other with a small chance that the connection is to the exit map. If you are really lucky you might get out after the first map but 10 or more would be more common.

Kaityra

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:57 am »
Just eliminate the spawn points completely and create a long arduous dynamically generated path through to the burial wells. That way clawing your way out of the Death Realm really is a chore. This could be done by making a number of relatively short maps that connect randomly to each other with a small chance that the connection is to the exit map. If you are really lucky you might get out after the first map but 10 or more would be more common.

I can already see thousends of threads from new players with titles such as "Can't get out of DR...need help".  ;D

Prolix

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 10:44:54 am »
Well if you assign a map counter it would be pretty easy to put an upper limit on the number of intermediary maps you have to pass through. You could even have a weighting factor so that differing initial conditions result in different odds of hitting the exit map. For example the first time you pass through the DR when you are low level you are beneath Dakkru's notice and you have at most three intermediary maps, relatively painless. If your first trip comes after 100 levels of skill/stat training you are more noticeable to Dakkru and so have a maximum of ten intermediary maps. If you have the same number of levels as the previous example but you have been through the DR a number of times your maximum might be thirty. Other factors might work to reduce the increase the chance that the next map is an exit map so that although you might have a high maximum the possibility you actually need to pass through the maximum is reduced.

tadill

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 11:00:32 am »

Yeah, really great idea. Let's asume you died from an Ulbernaut attack and as soon as you leave DR you are back to the same deadly Ulbernaut again. So you have to introduce a time when you cannot be attacked. Or you have died by hitting the cavern floor in BD. Are you sure that there is a way up from there? And list of things to solve certain drawbacks goes on and on... I prefer simple solutions so I'm still for spawning in a safe area and the settlements offer this more easily then any other place.
well that could also be solved by having 2 spawn points in each map in bd would be the entrance to that area. and the eagle head you just spawn to the closest point where you die.