Author Topic: IC Harassment  (Read 1497 times)

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
Re: IC Harassment
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 02:28:25 am »
Here is what I have at the bottom of Orgonwukh's description.
[In the unlikely case that you are offended by my roleplay, please tell me OOCly to stop it.]

Well, it is not unlikely, and people will be offended, IC or OOC or both. :) A better wording could be "The rude behaviour is part of my roleplay. If it bothers you OOC, please tell me and I will adjust."
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 04:11:18 am »
That would probably be best, but ruin the whole IC thing. But then again, why would you need such, as everything without [quotes] is IC and then should be understood as roleplay.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 06:07:04 am »
Here is what I have at the bottom of Orgonwukh's description.
[In the unlikely case that you are offended by my roleplay, please tell me OOCly to stop it.]

Well, it is not unlikely, and people will be offended, IC or OOC or both. :) A better wording could be "The rude behaviour is part of my roleplay. If it bothers you OOC, please tell me and I will adjust."

A good idea, but my char is not rude all the time. I once had something similar in my desc and people asked my why I put that into the description when my char is not offensive at all.

That would probably be best, but ruin the whole IC thing. But then again, why would you need such, as everything without [quotes] is IC and then should be understood as roleplay.

I experienced a lot of situations where people were offended OOCly by my roleplay, because they did not get the difference between IC and OOC. This OOC comment is in the description to adress those.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 06:17:38 am »
I am interested in this thread somehow because I had some similar situation yesterday.
I was in a tavern where some char's were talking about fighting each other (it was obviously an rp) and I r-played that I'm intoxicated and I was trying to reconcile them offering drinks. They reacted rather coldly and one of them (not including name because its absolutely unneccessary) told me to shut up. Considered this as a part of rp I was acting offended and tried to react by provoking them (in rp manner of course) then I was told that I'm doing [OOC]. Gee.. Is that really so? Is it really my fault trying to join up someone's other rp. It's a little bit strange to me. Including there was no great action between them and I thought I can join this situation (when acting is advanced and a lot of people perform some actions I'm usually sitting and watching their act).
Tell me is it me or them doing misinterpretation?

Thanks
In this case I think it would be the other way around. The fighters were disrupting your RP by fighting in a place where that is not generally OK, and then harass you icly and oocly.

ElWu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »
Oh, they were no actually fighting but they were arguing with each other MENTIONING a fight and provoking each other.

Maybe I just should have gone to do my rp somewhere else ?  ???

Velh Krome

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 07:11:19 pm »
Having such an addition in one's description surely is nice and kind and all - and to recommend!
But of course not everyone checks descriptions, not even for the last sentence in cases.

Also one should be aware of not everyone is wanting to roleplay, hence I always felt like having to make sure the other one's reaction, if insulted or annoyed, is indeed IC. So I ended up in tells with many people, debating and whatnot.
And as I said I kind of modified that char in the end, softer, politer, since I was more busy OOCly talking to people when playing that char, than actually playing that char. Was tedious.

In my eyes, with the only vaguely defined, hybridal state of Planeshift, where roleplaying is nothing you have to, or should, get into, playing controverse characters always will cause hassle and trouble, of that sort that always may leave doubts if the other player is a roleplayer now, is he feeling offended or not etc. - at least if you care at all that is, of course.

EDIT:
I havent gone through the Tutorial as of late, so perhaps there may be something similar now. If thats not the case:
How about adding a note, not to say a warning, that characters may cross showing impolite or rude manners? Kind of in that part where it comes to character-choice, question if one plans to play an evil char, and advices to be polite to others OOCly?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:17:52 pm by Velh Krome »

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 09:05:09 am »
I havent gone through the Tutorial as of late, so perhaps there may be something similar now. If thats not the case:
How about adding a note, not to say a warning, that characters may cross showing impolite or rude manners? Kind of in that part where it comes to character-choice, question if one plans to play an evil char, and advices to be polite to others OOCly?

I love this idea, Velh!
Maybe we can even take this a step further. All the NPCs in the tutorial are helpful, why don't insert a rude NPC as well? This NPC could explain the difference again by being rude ICly and helpful OOCly. This would also require that most of the conversation of the other NPCs will be put into brackets ;) (this is a little hint that in my opinion the tutorial does not distinguish IC/OOC sufficiently...)

Velh Krome

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:17:31 am »
Both I like:
1. Having Tutorial NPCs using brackets - actually never thought about it, but now that you mention it.. it would be nothing but consequent: A must!=P

2. To have a rude NPC! lol
Well, to include some learning effect, how about adding only a hint in brackets for that one, like [Remember what you learned about rude chars in the Tutorial?]. It could make people think.

On the long run I could think of people becoming more used to not always sophisticated ways of speech, hence (N)PCs may become more authentic - wouldnt Zak or Kisatol appear more threatening if they would talk more like.. well, you know?=P

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 09:19:23 am »
to keep things easier to find how about you add your ideas about the tutorial to http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=32678.0 and not this thread ;) last i looked this thread was not about the tutorial.

Velh Krome

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:21 am »
The Tutorial is only a sidenote on making people getting the idea of IC-Harrassment  ;D