Author Topic: New System Requirements.  (Read 8807 times)

botanic

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: New System Requirements.
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 04:24:10 am »
Yes it is.
I'm playing on a 3-years-old laptop here. If PS ups the hardware requirements, then that's it for me until I have another reason to cough up the 1000 Euros for a new laptop.

A 1000euro 3 year old laptop should be able to play PS (Intel driver issues could be a problem) the requirements were bumped up to 7 year old hardware, from 9 year old hardware...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 04:30:23 am »
The limit is less the age, rather the features. ;)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

botanic

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 04:40:16 am »
True, on another note could you test .5 on a GeForce MX and see if it works, it worked on mine but by now I have so much custom this that and the other it could be a fluke =/

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 07:33:46 am »
As already reported, in general it works even on a GeForce2 GTS. But with massive shader issues (overbright polygons, pitchblack heightfields).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 10:23:21 am »
So what can those of us with such cards do to determine if (1) these problems can potentially be solved, and (2) help solve them?

botanic

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:47 am »
bug me in #planeshift  ;D

Ligh if you can message me when you have some time I want to try a few things on the Geforce 4 FX you have  :detective:

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 06:32:35 am »
Hmm, strange error appeared for me too:
Code: [Select]
uldics@kaste:~$ planeshift
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 731: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed!
uldics@kaste:~$

This happens in first instant when game is tried to be started. Nothing appears on screen. System is Debian Squeeze (testing), on AMD processor 2.9GHz, built in AMD HD3200 graphics with proprietery accelerated drivers (2 days old latest dirver Catalyst 9.12 Release: x86 and x86_64, driver version 8.681 though catalyst says something about 2D driver version 8.68.2), RandR version 1.2, OpenGl version 3.2.9232. Yesterday I played the game, there was one update to the game. After that, it was able to start and I played it. No kernel, graphics drivers or anything with DRM or Xorg was changed on my PC since then. Compiz Fusion is working as before (just that you know, 3D is actually working).

I post it here, cause same error was in this tread. I hope this helps resolving the problem and I hope someone can help me too with this. If necessary, I can make new thread with this problem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 07:08:06 am by Uldics »

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 07:07:33 am »
it seems to be a bug in your distro with openal try disabling it

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 07:27:38 am »
You'r the man!!! It works now!  \\o//

In Synaptic I got two packages when searched for openal : libalut0 and libopenal1. First one removed, no dependencies affected (dont know why actually). But the libopenal1 asked me to remove two other games - warzone2100 and glest. But I dont play them anyway. I removed them along the libopenal1. Planeshift then started without sound few times. Then I did apt-get clean, wanted to reinstall libopenal1, but tried Planeshift and it had sound. Strange, but it works now with sound. Either it detected something other than openal to use instead or something.

nightwolf

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 10:17:28 pm »
Will RADEON 9600 do?

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 11:33:12 pm »
People are playing on that card. The search function told me this.  ;)

The problem is probably your driver, so please update it already  or have someone do it for you like we told
you on several other occasions today before asking the same question over and over again...
Or at least tell us which driver version you are using right now.
Disabling VBO in the PS options might also help.

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=36449.0 <- sticky post about drivers
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=32557.0 <- rather comprehensive post about how to run the game on radeon cards
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?action=search <- search function

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »
Tech ARP - Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro uses a RV350/RV360 chipset which supports Pixel Shader Version 2.0 -- yes, should be suitable.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 02:04:39 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Siteri Kidachi

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »
So the last version didn't work on this computer. Naturally the new one doesn't either.

Just to review, I have a fairly old laptop, its graphics are ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. It's old enough for the drivers for it to be part of the "legacy" driver set and Omega Drivers don't have anything for it. And the game's crashing on the loading screen after saying it needs hardware acceleration (Open GL). Is there a software solution for this or am I out of luck with this computer? (The game does work on another computer in my house but I don't usually have access to that one.)

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
So the last version didn't work on this computer. Naturally the new one doesn't either.

Just to review, I have a fairly old laptop, its graphics are ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. It's old enough for the drivers for it to be part of the "legacy" driver set and Omega Drivers don't have anything for it. And the game's crashing on the loading screen after saying it needs hardware acceleration (Open GL). Is there a software solution for this or am I out of luck with this computer? (The game does work on another computer in my house but I don't usually have access to that one.)

you're out of luck as a game like planeshift simply requires hardware accelerated rendering

Mike3423

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2011, 11:45:30 pm »
Will there ever be a downloadable version capable for the ipad?