Author Topic: Campfire lag  (Read 786 times)

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Campfire lag
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:01:32 pm »
Since the 0.5.0 it runs fine, except few places: up in Gugrontid city, middle of Ojaroad 1 and few others I get heavy lag. I sat distance to max and min, no diference in lagging places and normal places.

Then today I noticed it lagging also in half of Ojaveda. And I discovered it was caused by burning campfire, someone had left on ground. As soon, as I took it in my inventory, lag stopped. When I sat it down again, lag reappeared. And the lag is like few (3to5) frames per second, keypress reaction is after few seconds. And because of this lag, I cannot turn precise, keypress has to be long enough to make a turn some 30 degrees at least.

My system is Debian Squeeze (testing), kernel 2.6.30, 2GB RAM, AMD 2.9 GHz double core processor, AMD HD3200 built in graphics card with proprietary driver.

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Campfire lag
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:16:29 pm »
hehe... back in SB an explorer had set a campfire on an inverted stalagmite next to Gugrontid. That's probably why it's lagging there.

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 02:00:31 pm »
yes dynamic lights are a big hit on cpu and gpu. you can disable it by lowering the setting, or removing an xml with a name similar to effect. maybe i'll have a look at adding some option to selectively disable only it in place of disabling it only on lower setting (altough lately i get it anyway must be some magic in my config). but that will wait january if you don't rebuild at least

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 03:22:54 am »
Rename art/itemeffects.xml to some other name so that PS can no longer find it (in your PS installation folder). This will disable these effects and gives a HUGE performance increase.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.