Author Topic: Combat lag (freezing)  (Read 921 times)

Maju

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Combat lag (freezing)
« on: January 04, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »
A lot of people is complaining in gossip of very serious combat lag (freezing while fighting until either is dead or even later) and I used to have the same problem until a couple of days ago.

Actually I got the problem not at game start but later, after had been playing for some time. Narrow spaces and local lights such as lamps might have been increasing the problem, though I'm not totally sure.

I tweaked several things in graphics in search of better performance but what seems to actually work is disabling VBO (whatever that is), though I lose detail in some elements such as thin decoration edges (that become "pixelated") and models when in dark areas, that sometimes become even totally black.

I also increased antialiasing and anisotropic filtering (0 is default but makes no sense to me), tough checking now the settings, it seems it went back to default (zero) on its own. In any case, I don't think it's the real culprit.

I'm playing in an AMD-64 computer with an NVidia graphics card and Ubuntu Hardy SO.

Uldics

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Combat lag (freezing)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:46 pm »
I think this same combat lag is the same problem what I also experience with metallurgy. When I melt melted gold ores into ingots and back for some time, lag is increasing, starting at the change of item state (model) as little bit noticeable freeze moment. Whole game is frozen, including mouse cursor. With time the freeze length increases, so different freezes are just as one, starting with first changing slot ending with last. To add more info to the same, with time, my RAM usage increases, so I suspect some memory leak or some object not destroyed and staying in memory.

System is Debian Squeeze (Testing) 32bit, AMDx2 processor and graphics. The same is on another Windows XP, though cannot say anything about memory usage there.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:31:50 pm »
maybe it's caused by the on screen message but wow quite slow cpu then...

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:04:14 am »
The first sounds like http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?task_id=3748 . The second might be the queueu message thing problem stuff that weltall knows much more about.