Author Topic: Do gods feel remorse?  (Read 1420 times)

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Do gods feel remorse?
« on: February 14, 2009, 02:14:48 pm »
Laying on it's back, legs flailing for purchase on the humid evening air, the little beetle struggled in it's vain attempt to right itself. Unaware of how it ended up in this predicament, or of it's spectator; Jarleth sat and watched with morbid curiousity. The sense of power over the life of the insignifigant creature was a perculiar sensation for him, maybe this is how gods feel, possessing the ability to snuff out the existance of any of the creatures in Yliakum. If he killed the bug would he feel remorse? Do gods feel remorse?

He noticed her sitting on the fence, only in his periferal vision, but still he recognised her. His cheeks flushed slightly and he lowered his head further in an attempt to hide the fact. Of all the people in Hydlaa who he wished wouldn't know he had been crying, she was at the top of the list. With his head lowered his hair had fallen forwards, she was now obscured from his view. A double blessing. Milress, a year older than himself, tall for her age, and the target of the affections of all Jarleth's peers. Bold, smart, attractive, she frequently dismissed the attentions of the boys that would pester her. Jarleth never had, he envied those who had the strength of character to approach someone so unattainable.

As he raised his head a little to see if she was still there, watching, he flinched startled that she was now only a couple of meters away, looking at him intently. He knew how the bug felt, unable to escape, the object of fascination to a superior creature. He knew all too well that she could crush his heart as easily as he could kill the bug. Someone so perfect would feel remorse. Surely.

"What ya doin?" The soft tones of her voice knotted his stomach as they always did, a thousand thoughts ran through his mind, what should he say? What could she possibly want from him? Why did she have to speak to him now of all times? Had the others enlisted her, another joke at his expense? He sat silently, eyes fixed on the little beast wedged between the paving slabs, the empathy with it's situation all too vivid to him. Milress knealt down in front of him, with a flick of her claw she released the bug from it's predicament, Jarleth looked up quickly to see a satisfied grin on her face. Her attention returned to him, fixing his gaze for a moment, before his instincts took over and he bowed his head once more, avoiding eye contact. With a childish giggle she ruffled his hair, turned on her heels and sprinted away towards the fountain.

Relief that he could once more relax his guard, anger that he had not spoken, and desire. The ever present desire.
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Anumesa

Re: Do gods feel remorse?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:10:47 am »
Very nice  ;)

Mrokii

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 03:40:54 am »
Very well written. Congrats :)

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:57:56 am »
wow!!! awesome!! congrats!
Ummm.... Klyros For BBQ!!!!!

Taradiddle

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 03:07:43 am »
Well done! I enjoyed this very much.
Look to the road behind you. Did it improve as you passed?

D.Quire

• Wayfarer
  • http://tierussianwoman.w-ru.com/ - love calculator birthday
    • View Profile
    • lady bride
Do gods feel remorse
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 02:09:49 am »
Chaeronia - thanks for sharing this  I greatly enjoyed reading it 

I like the way you play on what you know is the cliche, and this further convinces me that your character is not fully mad.  I think it builds intrigue about the character very nicely, and I very much would like to see how this turns out