Author Topic: Tournament of Shadows  (Read 1833 times)

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament of Shadows
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 09:50:25 pm »
Inscriptions will close on may First!! Join now! enjoy the opportunity of fighting in the first mage/warrior tourny!!   ;) ;)
Ummm.... Klyros For BBQ!!!!!

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 04:32:16 pm »
Jaycol looks at the posting. "Is there a set place fo' da spectators ta watch from I wonder?" He wonders to himself. "and is there a list o' da fighters about somewhere that we can bet on if'n we wishes ta.?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:34:16 pm by jaycol »

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 11:23:18 pm »
Nhil passes by one of the tournament posters outside Kada-El's and looks at it for a few moments

"..... what the feck?"

Nhil facepalms and walks off.
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

gogort

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 08:48:50 am »
Yes there are places for spectators

and i will see can get pull a last minuite list of competors and post on pastebin.com or something

perlyboy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 10:33:43 am »

Feel free to talk to me about any of these things, I'd be glad to help you with your tournament.  I hope it's okay with other players if I drop a few names here, but I think these are some of the people whose opinions could be most helpful in sorting out problems with the mechanics of a mage/warrior team tournament:

Perlan, Ikon, Patuljaka, Svuun, Loyni, Dragonis, Phaat, and Hanace.
(and no, not all of them are friends of mine, they're people who are most familiar with these issues and PvP mechanics)

I am not against a mage/ warrior team combination per se... i have been in such a tournament myself a long time ago- having teamed with Railen, but i am against the rules of this tournament, in particular the usage of potions, and the difficulties that arise monotoring that... Secondly: the rule which states mages can't hold magic weapons. Thirdly: the location and specifically magic casting with i don't know how many spectators, is gonna make this location very impossible for combatants to fight

That is why I will not compete, I will spectate though, and wish all combatants good luck
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 10:35:29 am by perlyboy »

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 12:01:26 pm »
First I must say that is true.. potion managment and control is very difficult, but can be done properly... anyway if it gets out of control one will be defeated at the end never the less... Second, the weapons rule had change.. please read all post. and the location allows people to watch from above the players, in the second floor.. allowing players to have a clear space to fight...

gogort

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 12:05:00 pm »
Entrys for tournament of shadows are open this is a team event

1 mage 1 fighter per team we are located in death realm library

the rules are below hopefully this wont be too confusing

rules:
1 Players will be fighting against each others, one Magician and one Warrior. The magician can only attack
the other magician until is defeat it, when is defeat the other they can
attack the warrior. The warrios are able to attack anyone they want.

2 The use of potions of healing or mana is not forbidden but is controlled
-Magicians: full Mana via potions once, and full healing via potions twice.
-Warriors *CAN* use one full heal... no more
The use of potions is going to be controlled via groups, because moderators can see the increase of decrease of life and mana.
healings would be expected to be in one big burst doing anything else may cause
suspition and posably get you kicked out of the tournament

3 The use of Healing spells is allow, only of curse by the magician and cant use it on themselves, only on the warrior.

Use of weapons is allow, but DW mage's unfortunately cant use Laanx mind weapons, because they wont fit in any category....

5 The magician can use any kind of magic except Flying Stones

6 the fight has no time limit, although it wont last a lot. Wink

7 Leaving the Area of fighting would mean automatically discualification

8 the tournament is base on death match Winner advances and looser is out.

9 Prize would be given to 1st and 2nd because is in pairs. 40% for the winners and 30% for the second place.

10 The magician can use any kind of spell they decided. except flying stones unless in the brown way section of the tournament

11 Entry fee is 45k Trias per team!

12 mages may *NOT* ware any armour at all this includes helms and body
armour shields are alright tho and is perfered if you wish to enter the
tourny being that it stops you from attacking

Brown tournament: same rules but the magician is able to use flying stones and in rule #2:

The use of potions of healing or mana is not forbidden but is controlled
-Magicians: full Mana via potions twice, and full healing via potions 2 times
-Warriors: full healing via potions once - and mana is not needed since warriors cannot cast spells

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
For those who did attend I really appreciated your support.... They FC was nice...

For the rest.. I did new the tourny wasnt perfect, but was the best we could do it... Some always complain about the lack of events and stuff IG, but when they have it they dont take advantage of it. If anyone is interest in use the modality of tournament you are welcome to do it... For me I wont plan anything like it again...

Also thanks for the GMs that help me very kindly...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:51:41 pm by Xemmas »

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2009, 03:38:56 pm »
Don't be too discouraged, it's not easy to plan an event, and a lot of work goes into it.  It's always nice to see a player try, if it had been a GM event I'm sure you would've had at least 30 participants, but as a player it's not quite so easy.  Even if it didn't turn out as planned, there's no reason not to try again later.
Censorship FTW.

jaycol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://salonatest.sa.funpic.de/CoD_banner1.jpg
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 07:33:40 am »
*As Vannaka has already said don't be discouraged by it. I did get the chance to stop in game  for the beginning of it(Weekend company). And I think you adjusted well for the players that did come.

You took the effort and the time to plan and test your activity(event), and did an excellent job of it.  The planning was done well, the advertising was done well, and you were well prepared to see it through.

However, numbers do not make the event successful. Entertaining the people who participate does. You and your group adjusted the plan for those that came. You fell back on what as called a back up plan(whether planned or not) providing entertainment to those that participated as you promised to do. You also had every intention to continue the original plan if the situation changed. That's good organization guys!

I, for one hope that you, and your group take a step back and reevaluate the Tournament you planned. Ask yourselves, "How do we generate player interest?", and come right back at it. Maybe smaller this time, focusing on the individual groups. Hold a warrior's tournament, and plan a magic user's tournament, then maybe a mix and match (a match of warriors, a match of mages), start a fight club, and work your way back to the Tournament of Shadows 2.

The interest is there you may have to draw it out some.

For those who did attend I really appreciated your support.... They FC was nice...

* So, pat yourselves on the back guys. I think you did a great job at presenting this.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:36:20 am by jaycol »

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 07:46:17 am »
Unfortunately by pure chance this event happened at the same time as the OSP event, I am sure these two events are likely to attract different types of player, and I would like to say that I am personally grateful for the fact that it has shown that PlaneShift can support multiple playing styles at the same time. I do not think that many more attended the GM event than your own event, so that should give you some satisfaction.

As Jaycol says, the aim is to entertain people, that is what this game is all about, and I am glad to see that you guys have taken the time to try and inject a bit more fun into PlaneShift.

:thumbup: \\o//
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.