Author Topic: Swine Influenza Outbreak  (Read 6926 times)

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: Swine Influenza Outbreak
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 10:32:14 am »
Why does this swine influenza thingy remind me of the Avian Flu which was supposed to have destroyed the world in an epic pandemic by now?
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Mathy Stockington

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:57:16 am »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103634553

I am unsure if the authorities are bracing for the worse because they really think this is a huge problem or they are making it bigger then it really is because they want the public to take note of it. In any case schools are being closed and people are being told to stay in their homes in certain areas.

Personally I think hand washing and other simple precautions like covering your mouth when you sneeze is advice we can all use to hopefully help the spread of the virus. Otherwise we have to wait and see how it all turns out. All we can do is hope that it will not be bad at all and the authorities are wrong.

Waterman thank you for clarifying the statement that was made so we have the correct facts. As for the baby who died; all we can do is pray for the family during their terrible loss.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards

Lokter Tarvitz

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Lokter Tarvitz- Reaver Pack Founding Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 11:02:41 am »
Um... as afar as we know Swine Flu IS basically a strand of Avian Flu, The thing with Pigs are that they can cath BOTH Avian Flu and Human flu. Now some unlucky little pig got them both, and a new virus was created with the potency of Avian Flu, but with the Human pathogens that allow it to be transmitted Human to Human.

And btw, biggest way of transmission is through sneezing, the virus is carried in water droplets through the air... SO! Sneeze into a clean tissue then get rid of it and wash your hands after, and if it gets really bad then go for a mask that covers your mouth and nose. So the water droplets carrying the viru cannot get in.

Team Fortress 2 FTW!

Prolix

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 11:12:25 am »
Humbug, it is all smoke and mirrors. A very few people get ill and already the flu vaccine makers are salivating at the thoughts of their profits.
Investigate TamiFlu and others before you let them stick a needle in your arm.
Drug companies are one of the biggest evils in society today. Cures put them out of business, treatments with adverse side effects create customers for life.

neko kyouran

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 12:17:52 pm »
"swine flu" has been around forever.  This happened in the 70s, the 80s, and now, now.  They've known how to deal with it for years now.  The strain in the 70s were worse, the strain in the 80s was easily dealt with. If its the strain like the one that went around in the 80s, then I'm not worried. If it's the strain that went around in the 70s, then I'm still not worried, because they still have seen it before, and know how to deal with it.  If it's a new strain, then I'm not worried; they'll figure out how to deal with it soon enough.

It's barely killed any real of amount of people, yet the regular flu strain has killed tens of thousands world wide already this year.  It's simply the media finding their new topic of the month to over play to try and play on the fears of the general populous so that they get more viewers.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 02:50:46 pm »
"swine flu" has been around forever.  This happened in the 70s, the 80s, and now, now.  They've known how to deal with it for years now.  The strain in the 70s were worse, the strain in the 80s was easily dealt with. If its the strain like the one that went around in the 80s, then I'm not worried. If it's the strain that went around in the 70s, then I'm still not worried, because they still have seen it before, and know how to deal with it.  If it's a new strain, then I'm not worried; they'll figure out how to deal with it soon enough.

It's barely killed any real of amount of people, yet the regular flu strain has killed tens of thousands world wide already this year.  It's simply the media finding their new topic of the month to over play to try and play on the fears of the general populous so that they get more viewers.

The difference is that this flu is killing young, healthy adults.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 03:04:33 pm »
Who knows of Chicken Licken? It seems we have only two points of view being shown here. One has the Chicken Licken slant, where people are suggesting the sky is falling down, while the others are saying that nothing much will happen, and it is the media who are the Chicken Licken's in this story.

I sincerely hope it is the latter that turns out to be true. But, I would much rather Governments and People prepared for the worst and it didn't happen, than not prepare and have it happen.
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Prolix

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2009, 04:42:49 pm »
how is it possible to be healthy when centers of population are generally unhealthy due to human activities?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 06:59:27 pm »
how is it possible to be healthy when centers of population are generally unhealthy due to human activities?
Healthy is obviously a relative term, and a person infected with swine flu is obviously less healthy than a person in a similar state of health minus the infection.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Anumesa

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »

The difference is that this flu is killing young, healthy adults.

Actually if you look at the majority of the deaths in mexico they say its over 200 but only around 7 have actually been confirmed as being from swine flu :P

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 08:06:13 am »
The swine flu is the punishment of allah for the faithless. No muslim country has been infested with swine flu so far.

Eurac

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 08:53:09 am »
Eurac sneezes.

Dermathil

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 04:55:58 pm »
Hi all.

Points that might be needed to be pointed out:

-The Swine Flu is not a Swine Flu, for the pigs can't get it. It is a Human Flu which mutated from a Swine Flu.

30 April 2009 -- From today, WHO will refer to the new influenza virus as influenza A(H1N1).

...And so will I.

-UK confirmed the first case of human-to-human transmission of influenza A (H1N1) on their territory.

A second person in the UK has caught swine flu without having visited Mexico, tests have confirmed.

The news follows the case of Graeme Pacitti from Falkirk, who was infected after contact with the first Britons to develop the flu, Iain and Dawn Askham.

The UK's second "onward transmission" case is thought to be a man in his early 40s from South Gloucestershire

Meanwhile, a new case of swine flu has been announced in South-East England, bringing the UK total to 13.

Director of Public Health for South-West England Dr Gabriel Scally said the Gloucestershire patient had not been taken to hospital.

"The man himself is as well as can be expected and he has been very effectively and very rapidly treated. Like many of the other cases in the UK, it has been a relatively mild illness for him," he told the BBC.

Symptoms of swine flu in humans appear to be similar to those produced by standard, seasonal flu.

Cases 'not connected'

In cases outside Mexico - where the virus is suspected in more than 160 deaths - the effects do not appear to be severe, although the death of a Mexican child has been confirmed in the US.

The World Health Organization has set its pandemic alert level at five but says it has no immediate plans to move to the highest level of six.

Earlier the Health Protection Agency confirmed that a woman from the Merseyside area and a schoolgirl in South-West England had contracted the virus.

Both had recently returned from Mexico.

The girl's school - Downend, which is also in South Gloucestershire - will be closed until 11 May and parents have been told to contact their family doctor if any child shows symptoms.

Officials said the two Gloucestershire cases were not connected.

-------------------------------------
------------
SWINE FLU ADVICE
------------
Use clean tissues when you cough or sneeze

Bin tissues after use
Wash hands with soap, hot water or gel

Another school in Paignton, Devon, also closed its doors this week after it was confirmed a 12-year-old girl had contracted swine flu.

Experts warned it was "inevitable" that more people would fall ill through onward transmission, as has already happened in the US, Canada, Spain and Germany.

Scotland's Chief Medical Officer Dr Harry Burns said: "What we will do is try and mitigate the rate of spread but it's inevitable that we're going to see more cases."

Mr Pacitti himself told the BBC he was really "disappointed" to find out he had contracted the illness.

He plays in the same six-a-side football team as the UK's first swine flu patient Iain Askham.

He said he had been given the anti-viral drug Tamiflu as a precaution after meeting him in a pub.

Now confined to home, Mr Pacitti said by telephone: "Today I started to feel better than I have done all week. I'm quite gutted.

"It started last Saturday when I started to feel like I had an upset stomach. From then my throat began to get sore.

"The worst was when I started to get headaches and feel quite feverish."

Scottish Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said Mr Pacitti's infection was a "significant development" but that the risk to public health remained low.

------------
CONFIRMED & SUSPECTED CASES
------------
Mexico: 168 suspected deaths, 12 confirmed
US: one death, at least 109 confirmed cases
New Zealand: 4 confirmed, 12 probable cases
Canada: 35 confirmed cases
Spain: 13 confirmed cases
UK: 13 confirmed cases
Germany: 4 confirmed cases
France, Israel, Costa Rica: 2 confirmed cases each
The Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong: 1 confirmed case each

"It is concerning but I have to stress that it doesn't mean there's more reason for people to worry," she said.

"We are still very much in the containment phase of this infection."

Of the 13 UK cases confirmed so far, all are thought to have responded well to treatment.

Prime Minster Gordon Brown, who was visiting an NHS Direct centre in Beckenham, south-east London, said the UK was in a good position to cope with the illness .

"There will be more cases, but at the same time it is treatable," he said.

"If we can get to people quickly, we can trace their contacts and if we can give those affected Tamiflu [anti-viral drug], then we can avoid the problems that we see in some of the other countries," he said.

England's Chief Medical Officer Sir Liam Donaldson has said it is impossible to predict how many deaths there could be in the UK until more is known about the virus strain.

Proud owner and founder of the Khazadi Bookshop.

Gravemind

• Hydlaa Resident
  • aka Nhil Sould
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 11:58:00 pm »
The most important thing is to BE PREPARED for a VIRAL PANDEMIC.

You know it's coming...
There is an alternative, more probable theory that 9/11 was in fact caused by Hanson's 1997 smash hit 'MMMBop.'

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 01:23:31 am »
actually, be prepare to recognize the symptoms in time to go to the authorities an be treated.... Is easy to fixed while caught in time fortunately!!!
Ummm.... Klyros For BBQ!!!!!