Author Topic: winblows 7 release candidate  (Read 707 times)

Prolix

winblows 7 release candidate
« on: May 09, 2009, 08:30:12 pm »
yippiee! I'm so bored of living that I am actually installing this piece of junk. Anyone else masochistic enough to undertake this act of self-abuse?

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: winblows 7 release candidate
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:23:39 pm »
I have vista.. is even worse...
Ummm.... Klyros For BBQ!!!!!

Prolix

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:45:25 pm »
Aww booo wasn't nearly painful enough. :(  actually installed pretty smoothly hardware is obsolete.
Still gf4 is too old to be detectable as other than standard vga adapter, the 19 inch viewsonic was standard monitor so no fancy graphics.
Since there is no 3d can't install half-life2 or other old games I might have.
What is the point of a windows box that doesn't play windows games? I do not have any apps that do not have linux equivalents, I suppose I could pirate some but they probably wouldn't run too well anyway.

Gees that wasted only an hour or two what do I do now?

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 05:30:04 am »
Installing a very modern OS on ancient hardware == fail :P

Windows 7 works awesome here. Even my old laptop which came with XP and had a Vista Basic sticker runs it very smoothly with all the aero graphics on.
I also only had 1 crash so far, which was caused by Nvidia's beta driver. I like it :)

By the way, I regularly use Ubuntu on another PC and I can definitely say that Windows 7 > Ubuntu.
*runs from the fanboys and haters*
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Prolix

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:12:54 am »
Well I installed it on a a p4 2ghz. the Gef4 is a bit tired these days but it is still supported by nvidia somewhat. The 512 ram didn't help. Now if I stuck my 7600gs into that box it would likely be supported. All of the 3 boxes I have sitting around use AGP the other two are semprons a 32b and a 64b but none of them are likely to support xp mode.

Ps I don't like Ubuntu either. However buying new hardware because the master decrees it does not suit me. I get along fine with rpm based distros generally but that Linux has its challenges is unquestionable. Being free makes it more bearable.

neko kyouran

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »
I haven't had a single issue with it thus far.  and seems to be more stable imo.

Prolix

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »
Seems to be the way with Microsoft, they feel a need to release a real turkey every other upgrade ... vis 95, millenium, and vista. It is hard to believe but some people are still getting along with W98.
Well at least this will be good until mid-2010 without paying. I can't see myself using it too much though.

One problem I had had nothing to do with MS really, I started a download of Kaspersky AV for W7 but the server reset the connection. I Guess it was going to take too long or something, a couple hours or more.

Prolix

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:35 pm »
Just had my first major problem with this: I turned off the acpi in the bios and windows kept rebooting. Man I hate these power saving things, I had to do that to keep my screen from shutting off while playing movies in linux. What am I supposed to do change the bios every time I want to change the operating system I am using? I wonder how hard it would be to create a Xen virtual image of the win7 and to run it in linux... sounds like a lot of overhead to me.

Anyone have other suggestions?

never mind  seems it is a feature of the operating system. if you change the acpi setting you have to re-install.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:11:17 am by Prolix »

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 06:29:35 am »
i didn't have any trouble  with it. found and ran everything... didn't try ps with it. the one problem, for a given value of problem, is that it didn't take much  for it to peg out my priocessor, amd a couple of my older games wouldn't run.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.