Author Topic: no irc rules?  (Read 992 times)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
no irc rules?
« on: June 12, 2009, 03:09:20 am »
Why aren't there rules for irc? They say to follow the forum rules and that the channel is pg-13, which I follow, but I'm always getting in trouble, so obviously there are some rules no one is telling me about? I highly suggest making some rules for irc. I honestly don't really know how to act, and I'm not really an inappropriate person, so it confuses me that I tend to get in trouble.  ???

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: no irc rules?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:32:42 am »
When you join the IRC channel you are told as part of the join message "Behave respectfully.".  We are very tolerant and try to give those who are being problematic plenty of opportunities to correct behavior. (In extremely offensive cases the offender may be immediately banned.) If you ignore the warnings you are given you will have to deal with the consequences.

Good guidelines for how to behave respectfully can be found here:  http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=22698.0

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:49:19 am »
Think of it like going with a friend to visit their relations, behave politely and respectfully and you'll be fine.
IRC has been around for a very long time and there are plenty of IRC Etiquette guides online but here are a few points
  • Caps, not necessary and considered to be shouting
  • Sending more than 4 lines without reply
  • Ignoring/Disrespecting Channel OP's
  • No Swearing - PlaneShift has people from all walks of life and from a wide age group, so we ask that others keep the channel family-rated. This means no off-color jokes and no foul-language, either in spoken conversation or in your nickname or IP.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:14 am »
Assuming you are talking about #planeshift:
I'd advice to log into the channel and stay silent for a while while observing how the other members behave. If you see no difference between their and your behaviour, you should ask for an explanation of the reason of your "troubles".

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:34:00 am »
I'd advice to log into the channel and stay silent for a while while observing how the other members behave. If you see no difference between their and your behaviour, you should ask for an explanation of the reason of your "troubles".

If someone is caught logging-in, avoiding a channel ban, there will be consequences.

Elvi, not bad advice for someone new to the channel though.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48:32 am »

If someone is caught logging-in, avoiding a channel ban, there will be consequences.

Hehe I think I got banned for telling someone to "stop being so unchaste!"  ;D Thanks for the guidelines, but I'm pretty sure I follow them. Pretty strictly too. I think it must be a cultural difference that gets me in trouble. A lot of things fly where I live (redneck country :( ).

However, there is no Elvi here.  ???

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:07:09 pm »
when did i say something ::|

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:49:23 pm »

Hehe I think I got banned for telling someone to "stop being so unchaste!"  ;D Thanks for the guidelines, but I'm pretty sure I follow them. Pretty strictly too. I think it must be a cultural difference that gets me in trouble. A lot of things fly where I live (redneck country :( ).

Sarras,

You were banned for an accumulation of bad behavior and failing to stop said behavior when asked repeatedly by channel operators. If you wish to discuss your particular case in more detail you know how to contact the channel operators.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:33:54 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind is that if the topic in the channel drifts away from what you were talking about it's probably best to let it go.  :sweatdrop:

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 11:46:26 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind is that if the topic in the channel drifts away from what you were talking about it's probably best to let it go.  :sweatdrop:

Hey I'm not guilty of that!

Sarras,

You were banned for an accumulation of bad behavior and failing to stop said behavior when asked repeatedly by channel operators. If you wish to discuss your particular case in more detail you know how to contact the channel operators.

What? I'm not discussing that.

What I'm trying to say is that the rules on #planeshift aren't the same as here, so you guys need to make a set of guidelines specifically for irc. No offense, but it's not very professional to have no rules.

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 12:08:13 am »
Your concerns are addressed by the second and third posts on this thread.

Rizin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 12:53:23 pm »
Adjusting, and thanking Orgonwukh.  Sorry for the confusion Elvi/Orgonwukh.