Author Topic: What PlaneShift Is  (Read 1393 times)

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
What PlaneShift Is
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:59:05 pm »
Since intimation is the best form of flattery, I have decided to take Tuxide's idea and make a counterpart for it. After all, it's only fair that there are both available to new players to read:

I came up with an idea to make a "What PlaneShift is" thread a couple weeks ago, so here it is.  The idea here is to come up with a list of objective perceptions of what the game is, so newer people can read it like an FAQ.  Other people were discussing the same "PlaneShift is ___" topic on the fan channel today, but most of the opinions were subjective and I think we can achieve higher quality and more meaningful results on the forum.

This is modeled off of similar community websites and open source projects that have a "What _____ is " section as part of their FAQ or About pages.

Here are some rules to this thread:
  • If you are adding a new entry to this thread, then your post must follow the pattern "PlaneShift is _____" followed by a decent justification as a defense.  Your justification should be more than one sentence or as long as it takes to defend your entry, and it shouldn't be any more than a couple of paragraphs.
  • Commenting on entries is allowed, as long as your comments are MEANINGFUL.  We don't care if you agree or disagree with an entry unless you can contribute a new opinion to the discussion.  We are shooting for a thread of high quality; don't taint this thread by writing every other post on it, and no backseat modding either.  Also, this thread is not for writing books.
  • No nonsensical or subjective entries.  Entries must be meaningful and objective, and entry content must be decent enough for people to want to read.
  • Juxtaposition is fine only if you can justify it by providing a rigorous and meaningful comparison.
  • No ambiguous or vague entries; we don't want to confuse people who read this thread with double entendres.  If it can be interpreted in more than one way, then be more specific.  No astroturfing either.
  • For God sakes, don't post anything on here without reading the OP.
  • If there are any good ones then we should consider moving them into the OP to make them easier to find.

Addeline

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: What PlaneShift Is
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:27:04 pm »
Since intimation is the best form of flattery

I'm sure you meant to write "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

:D

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:55 pm »
PlaneShift is what it is.

Until people build it to be more than what it is, it is going to have to be what it is.

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 01:41:38 am »
PlaneShift is attracting too small of an audience.

The relative stasis of the player base is clue enough.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Xemmas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 12:18:56 pm »
Planeshift is roleplay  :D
Ummm.... Klyros For BBQ!!!!!

Satha

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Satha's Quarter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:49:07 am »
PlaneShift is a place to be creative.

You can be creative by simply playing the game, coming up with a character to play and etc.
You can be creative here on the forum, e.g. the art section and by discussing new ideas for the game itself and such.
And you can be creative by joining the team and actually making stuff to be put into the game.
And more, I'm sure!

*Signature Pending*

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 10:23:46 pm »
PlaneShift is a good place to learn English and meet people from around the world.

That statement is pretty self-explanatory.

BLERGHtrue

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:09 am »
Planeshift is where average joe can also contribute to the development of the game they enjoy.
You don't need a phD in Programming to make a difference. [/point]
The fun doesn't revolve around grinding, either.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:19:52 pm »
PlaneShift is a physics/psychic phenomena in which you switch, change, or "Shift" from one dimension or "Plane" to another.

Some scientists also use the term to define a change between flights at an airport.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:54:03 pm »
Planeshift is set apart with a diverse and helpful player base.
Planeshift is blessed with diverse and helpful devs & gm's.

Ahanien

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16:14 pm »
Planeshift is very empty at the moment. I hope that changes.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 02:43:02 am »
@ Ahanien: That really depends on the daytime. Try at times when America is online, especially during the weekends. But true - a lot of people don't play anymore, for one or another reason...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Zalera13

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 03:40:52 pm »
A game, a grand masquerade...  That is honestly pretty much the first thing i thought when i figured out the purpose of the game.
You know you want to lol. You know you do. Give in to the lol. YOU can not fight the power of the lol!