Author Topic: Player vs Player, Why not ?  (Read 383 times)

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Player vs Player, Why not ?
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:51:27 pm »
I guess there are many forum treads about the pvp already but since a couple of months, i noticed that the Champion Cup is less and less frequented.

1. I would like to know why ? I am curious. I know that many people like to level up their skills so i suppose it's not the reason. Is it because of the RP side ? For my part i participate to the Cup enterly ICly. It's possible. So what could be the reason ?

2. We could introduce some new formulas for Champion Cup or Yace (to be discussed) : Kiaerulf came out with a nice idea which would be to have "team color". Therefore it would be "RED" vs "BLUE" and not only "xGUILD" vs "xGUILD". This would permit to spice up the pvp activities proposed. We could then introduce a random team fight event where the referee would randomly create the team that will fight together in 2 vs 2 or more (exemple : Referee pick randomly Lumi to team with Kiaerulf vs Gonger to team with Haraun).
To see with a Dev if it's even possible (coloring name of the people / grouping in a certain way) ?

3. What do we do about the looted weapons ? What do we do about the Bow ?
We do know that the Bow is a weapon of mass destruction when the user of this weapon carefully choosed a precious looted bow with particular boosts. Up to 5000 damage in one shot (yes.). We also made tests and noticed that the regular 50Q or 300Q bows makes "normal damage". But for some, the bow user has still the advantage of beeing able to moove while shouting which (toward what Kiaerulf told me) make the weapon user incapable of killing him/her.
Should we ban the bow of our pvp event ? Should we ban the looted item of our pvp event ?...

Side Note : Apologise for the eventual grammar problems.
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Player vs Player, Why not ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:55:28 pm »
What Champion Cup? Nobody will attend an event they don't know about.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:05:19 pm »
It is always on the events page and bulletins abound.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 12:44:41 am »
Yeah. But those have always been there. You need to be actively advertising. Telling people and all that.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:12:42 am »
The champion cup occur all month and is aswell on the schedule of the event calendar in PS Main site.

Last time we posted in Gossip aswell.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:15:10 am »
My guild and I can help.  :devil:

Mouli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 03:42:04 am »
Talking about Fighting & PvP... 
Don't forget the coming Tournaments of the Hammers !! 
Saturday 9th - 8pm Team fight (2vs2)
Sunday 10th - 7pm Single fight (GMT time)
Inscriptions start on friday by the Festival
contact any Hammers

For more informations about the Festival of the Hammers:
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=41445.0

[Also some RP fight by the Festival]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:53:04 am by Mouli »
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians...

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:17 am »
Many different questions for one topic.
Yet, here are some thoughts.

Why is there no PvP?
  • pvp used to be quite popular, but much of that got lost during some rule problems (e.g. when finest armor was newly introduced and weapons became 100% useless)
  • people are not aware that these days, rules are not so bad at all for some pvp fun (e.g. complaints about stamina, although it can be an interesting factor.)
  • Grinding is cumbersome, and people don't know how much skill they need to "stand a chance"
  • Even if people know that skill gaps do not make such a big difference, they may want "fair" conditions, so they consider a need for maxed skills, which is daunting and counterproductive.
  • People have a vague idea that super-rare items can be incredibly powerful in PvP. Yet, these are extremely hard to obtain per definition. This situation was very different when there was common sense that crafted weapons and helms are "the" pvp gear.
  • Problems with ranged weapons? I suggest to have a look at PS#6132
Why is the champion's cup less popular than ever?
  • Actually, there was even less interest a few times earlier.
  • Team work > individual fighters. This was not true at all earlier. But since potion abuse is fixed and several spells can disable foes, a single player can no longer dominate the games. Yet, people may think this is still a one man show.
  • Guilds do not have much influence these days. When the player base grows, competitive game elements may get more interesting again.
  • Again: The cup is all about team work. The more players and groups, the merrier. This works best when player groups have a strategy how to cooperate.
  • Some players got annoyed when some spells got less useful, others when mental stamina became a bottle neck.
Groups and the cup:
  • A few years ago when there were more players in the cup, it was common that participating guilds formed blocks and alliances using /tell. E.g. some guilds agreed not attack each other unless all other parties were eliminated.
  • For this sort of game, it is better to have arranged teams than random ones.
  • Mechanics: Group battles are possible much like guild wars. This would allow to hold the cup in another area than the open PvP zone, and it would prevent some friendly fire.
RP and the cup:
  • There has been quite some controversy here and little consensus.
  • Some players (like me) tend to ignore death in the cup entirely and take it as an OoC element to enforce the rules. Ic perspective, people just leave the pit as they yield, or they get knocked out by a nonlethal blow. Just as you can have duels without killing each other.
  • Some players rp death as an element of the cup, which can lead to issues with how this interferes with the rules of conduct in the arena. E.g. Perlan once ]killed the champion and attacked people because he considered the entire event as against the law.
  • Some argue that death is and should be a serious matter: People that return from the DR and run straight to the arena or the tavern to celebrate and congratulate the winner cannot be credible.
  • I say everyone should be free to do what they like with their RP, but this death element may be a reason for some players not to participate.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:39:09 am by Bonifarzia »

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »
@Boni : Thanks Boni for your lights on the situation, you are the one to talk about pvp  :thumbup:
-We may have to work again on the Champion Cup rules to adapt to the new situation and changements made. (Maybe a new tread or an IG meeting?)
-For ranged : I never used bow myself so i can't really judge about that bugtracker suggestion. We might need to invite a bow user to our rules discussion.
-Of course you are true about the basical need of more players but we shall keep that game alive and running if we want our few newcomers to stick with us anyways. And it's not only a work that should be done by Devs. The players are a huge part of what can make this game alive and enjoyable.
-There is no excuse of OOC or IC in the Champion Cup, either "i am an RP-er and not a grinder". Here it's irrelevant, both "communities" can meet.
-You are perfectly right to bring the "death" problem in the cup. If only we have to settle some basic IC rules for that part then let's go for it. If we have to organise the presence of a Doctor and such brigade, it would be even better and funnier for the participants. We could even ask  some advices to Sarva on how to find a way not to be send in DR the day of the cup from a particular pit (idk random idea throwed here..)

@Kull : Ah yesss! Indeed! Bring them all  ;D Might be more then interessant.

Even if one doesn't like to PvP or don't feel like it then bring the RP-er in you and "sell potion" at the entry of the arena the day of the cup or "sell sweets and cakes" to the spectator, or whatever that can bring life.

Let's not forget that the champion cup is an EVENT.
To give an example that i know about  : Hammers fight in group and we are far to be all level 3545 in each skills right ? Our newest member participated in one of the last cup along some older players.

There is no restrictions and participating to a pvp EVENT (i insist on "event") is another manner to show how much active and present is your guild, even if only 1 or 2 personn are active at the moment.
You may die but you showed bravery, courage and honour (i start to speak like a real dwarf!)

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:29 pm »
Death before dishonor!

:whistling:btw, Lumi, you are a dwarf.

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:01:38 am »
"We who are about to die, salute you .... "
Again, I have found out Sanrai is not a PvP dueler  :o But she has fun anyway!

:sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 11:34:51 am »
Morituri te salutant!

We who are destined to die...

(^ A voice with norse dialect; now the Heavy Metal Umlauts suddenly make sense...)  :P
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:45:40 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty