Author Topic: RP school  (Read 656 times)

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
RP school
« on: June 18, 2011, 11:37:20 am »
I was wondering if any experienced players would like to organize a RP school in order to help noobs learn.

Ebonwumon

• Hydlaa Resident
  • lol b&
    • View Profile
    • DEPOT WAREHOUSE!
Re: RP school
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:40:57 am »
Gently put, I think that idea is dumb. I don't think people should have to attend school to play a game. RP should be taught naturally, by doing it, sucking at it, then having people help you fix it.

I am most certainly NOT the one known as Perriwinkle or Overtherainbow

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 01:34:56 pm »
As valid a point as Timmy here makes (...don't used to me saying this Timmy) it would be nice if such a thing were to work out. However, in my experience, such things often don't work for a variety of reasons, at least if done in game for hands on learning. However, I would suggest trying to make RP Guides like some here and posting them on the forums. This is no catch all fix but it does have a few advantages.

If you post on the forums, the guides are around for others to read at their leisure despite timezone differences. If you break down guides into small chunks instead of tackling the whole of RP you can start discourse that might better answer the questions of new players. Also, you can have informative posts on the forums again so it can be an all around win.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 02:02:44 pm »
I think everyone has their own style of playing. The best way to learn is to pay attention to how others play, and to try different things out. keep what works and drop what doesn't. there might could be some basic guidelines on how to RP politely, no godmodding, giving others a chance to react to your actions, etc. could be created and I'm sure already has.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:50:29 pm »
school = mass mind-control

do you really want that, catlemur? i'm astounded.

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:50:56 am »
Well... If not intuitive, a RP will suck. So I believe a school is kinda pointless; there are no such things as technics in RP, or only minor tricks but not what to make a class.

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 03:23:18 am »
school = mass mind-control

do you really want that, catlemur? i'm astounded.
You seem to have forgoten my char's main goal:World Domination

Shock

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 06:05:42 am »
I hope this adds to the discussion.

I am a new player and one thing I feel would be very beneficial to myself and perhaps others is some sort of speech style guidelines. This would include tips to reflect the intelligence level of your character (lack of specific vocabulary and grammar), additional vocabulary that isn't common in modern speech and even vocabulary specific to Yliakum and it's localities. I also see a need for some location information to help players develop a background of where their character was born/lived specifically. I was only able to find a handful of locations and still barely know anything about the place (Homestead) I chose for my first character. I understand of course, that we are limited by what information we are provided/have already attained; or are we not? How much information can we "create" about the world for our characters and what kinds of intellectual creations will be respected/accepted by the community?

I do feel there are a number of gaps in the readily available knowledge.

The guides I have read for roleplaying simply state the intrinsic elements involved, such as "creating seperation" between yourself and your character, immersing yourself in the experience, speaking only about things your character would be aware of, etc.

I did a lot of searching and read what I believe to have been the majority of available information on this subject here on the forums, but I'm not perfect so pardon me if I've missed anything.

Sidenote: School, education and mind control are all seperate concepts. Education and mind control can both occur in school, but true education is about empowerment and creating intellectual malleability in the minds of individuals.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 07:33:12 am »

The PS Wiki is a good stop if you haven't been there yet. It would provide answers to many of your questions.

- Nova