Author Topic: Daggers-Compared to other weapons?  (Read 2139 times)

Gledios

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Daggers-Compared to other weapons?
« on: October 09, 2009, 06:54:03 pm »
Im usually a stealthy dagger weilding character in the games i play, and i've noticed that the dagger is seems to be somewhat underpowered. This could be a reason why people who wield daggers as their main weapon are rarely seen. Perhaps a slight buff could even things out a bit. or maybe some sort of critical hit chance with one?

Shadow1490

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Daggers-Compared to other weapons?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:33:50 pm »
Probably because the various other skills usually used by stealthy dagger types don't work yet.
Optimists are just cynics waiting to happen.

Gledios

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:12:29 pm »
Im aware of that, it just seems that even with those they are still.... somewhat slow and and weak for what they are

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:35:48 pm »
Don't expect balance between different types of fighters in PlaneShift, you'll be very disappointed very often if you do.  Last I knew you could train axes 50 levels further than swords or daggers, and they have faster attack speed and higher damage than comparable weapons of other types.  Brown way can virtually insta-kill from ridiculous range, while blue way decimates an epic 1 hp per cast. 
In short, the combat system isn't finished, and I don't think they can really work on balance until after everything is working properly.   :beta:
Censorship FTW.

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile

zoran

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:45:38 am »
I don't think they can really work on balance until after everything is working properly.
Balance is part of making things work properly - getting the balance right before 1.0 should be a serious aim. Especially with a long-running Beta there would be a huge opportunity lost for getting balance right.

Of course, missing game mechanics can't be taken into consideration just yet (shield defense, ranged weapons, some more non-lethal afflictions, blunt weapon making). But the job of fitting in missing parts should become easier once there's a certain balance between the elements that are already in place. And the "feel" of the game mechanics could be evaluated over a longer period of time, allowing for early adjustments.

Overall, I find the page linked by Orgonwukh an interesting and accurate assessment. Perhaps the rules team could use a few helping hands?

perlyboy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 10:36:08 am »
Daggers can be used well. In comparison to other weapons, they surely do a little less damage, but make up for that with a slight faster hit (also see the character stats description under combat). You may find, that using daggers compared to the slightly shorter swords, such as short swords and sabres, they would do approximately about the same damage in the same time interval.

When talking about PvP: the use of daggers takes a different style, based on the speed of the dagger, named: the madman style by some duellers. The use of daggers in PvP to good success -in my opinion- takes a very experienced dueller, who knows what he/ she is doing, as other experienced may have the advantage to strike one hit and win with swords or axes. To succesfully use daggers in PvP, one must try and develop one's own stealthy ways as backstabbing, with use of the game's mechanics, as indeed: a skill like that is not implemented yet.

note: all info here is OOC, actual damage and speed not mentioned, cuz they are considered spoilers
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:27:37 pm by perlyboy »

kiou

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:50:14 pm »
um, no, daggers are slower, do less damage, and can be trained less than axes, they also have the shortest reach, and in general PvP in PS is all about who is using axes.

so yes its painfully un balanced, and yes it should be fixed
http://thewhitecorps.webs.com/
my guild website, still being worked on~
* kiou thinks gms should be elected and reviewed~
"Im very smart in some ways, and much stupider in infinitely more ways"

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 12:55:43 am »
in general PvP in PS is all about who is using axes.

Disagree, although axes are painfully overpowered.
Censorship FTW.

perlyboy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 01:02:45 pm »
um, no, daggers are slower, do less damage, and can be trained less than axes

false, daggers are faster, the other parts are true

kiou

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 03:55:17 pm »
the fastest axe, is the same speed as the faster dagger
http://thewhitecorps.webs.com/
my guild website, still being worked on~
* kiou thinks gms should be elected and reviewed~
"Im very smart in some ways, and much stupider in infinitely more ways"

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 01:17:53 am »
Daggers and Small Battle Axes are both useful weapons -- especially for beginners. How often did I tell them to avoid Broad Swords or Claymores: "You could be dead already before you can hit them."

But for a decent comparison, don't miss this aspect: Their value is a result of combat attributes, price, training costs, durability (faster attacks = faster wearout) -- at a different rate for different levels...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Boaal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:22 pm »
Honestly? Weapons in this game are pretty ridiculous anyway. You can dual wield claymores, that just about say's it all.
Everythign seems underpowered against a certain quality claymore, or some such, there aren't any focus to the weapon types, such as skills and whatnot, so the different types of weapon, past their initial numbers, aren't really neccessary at the moment.

I know combat isn't the mai focus of the game, but this is a thread about combat/weapons, thus I focused on it.