Author Topic: death?  (Read 1700 times)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
death?
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:13:07 pm »
Characters don't really fear death. criminals simply slit their throats when they're trapped. heroes are killed in battle and come back a minute later for revenge. people can die up to 5 times a day and think it's trivial. however, somewhere I read that death is a big deal. so I have a few questions.....

1. why is death actually bad?

2. why don't players acknowledge that?

3. in the Octarchal Decree, what is meant when a law says death? true death or just dying?

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: death?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:39:49 pm »
Hmm, to point 2: There was / is a (player made) rule to stay in the DR for some time after you died IC. Just that no one follows it since it might mean extended boredness  ;)

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:25:18 pm »
It is easy to identify a problem.

Propose a solution that players find agreeable and we'll consider it seriously.

Mekora

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:30:28 pm »
I'd say its all about how the players see it while IC. Personally what I do when I die, I say, a little bit of my soul is torn. This brings a terrible effect. It is all about how you RP the situation.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »
can someone actually answer my questions? lol.....

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 04:48:08 pm »
You should just remove the exit from the death realm.
Censorship FTW.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 04:54:09 pm »
1 The answers to that are in game: Read to succeed.

2 Players ignore it because they CAN at this time.

3 True Death.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 05:00:10 pm »
As of now, It's up to the individual to play out his or her Death Realm experience.

Archon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »
A solution that may have been proposed already might be losing progression points, a percentage of what said player has. If that isn't enough, and they continue to abuse it, it might be a good idea to have the progression points removed with increased percentage the more they die, as well as a HUGE amount of those points being removed for suicides, as that shouldn't be taken lightly and the "easy" way out really shouldn't be so easy..

Getting out of the DR is easy, but what if it people who die and come back, don't exactly "come back". Instead of being whole, they become a "spirit" of sorts, requiring them to say, do a quest, to physically return to the realm of the living. This could also give room for hauntings and such in RP, but taking a decent chunk of energy from the "soul" when they talk (seeing as it wouldn't be easy for the dead to communication with the living.) Nor would they be able to attack or interact with objects (If someone isn't actually "there" they shouldn't be able to do anything)
Knowledge is infinite, but not invincible.
Now, nothing but a simple writer, waiting for tales.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »
There was this FFA PvP with full loot game that I played that had an interesting death penalty for murderers:  When you die, you could either take statloss or you can go to "prison".  In this sense, "prison" was a giant dungeon that took four or five fully-leveled characters to break out of.  Or you could wait in prison until your term (which could last days or weeks) expired.  I believe such a system helped encourage others to roleplay with their alts in the meantime, until either they had a big enough party to break out of prison or their term was up.

perlyboy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:48:47 pm »
I come from a time where the death realm was used as a shortcut from Ojaveda to Hydlaa, hence the curse of Dakkru was invented.

I don't think extended measurements for dying should be used.

Planeshift was not programmed to have a hardcore players section as where players would perma die when they die [similar to di@blo II hardcore], it's simply not the idea of the ones that made Planeshift.

Also: when new players die [and they tend to do that], i don't think any sane person would have them wait for a few days to be alive again, you would loose new players like that.

Note: all stated here is OOC

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58:47 pm »
I said statloss only applied to murderers; depending on your religion your god would probably not be nice to you under certain conditions.  In other cases you would take lesser punishments.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 01:23:33 am »
A solution that may have been proposed already might be losing progression points, a percentage of what said player has. If that isn't enough, and they continue to abuse it, it might be a good idea to have the progression points removed with increased percentage the more they die, as well as a HUGE amount of those points being removed for suicides, as that shouldn't be taken lightly and the "easy" way out really shouldn't be so easy..

Getting out of the DR is easy, but what if it people who die and come back, don't exactly "come back". Instead of being whole, they become a "spirit" of sorts, requiring them to say, do a quest, to physically return to the realm of the living. This could also give room for hauntings and such in RP, but taking a decent chunk of energy from the "soul" when they talk (seeing as it wouldn't be easy for the dead to communication with the living.) Nor would they be able to attack or interact with objects (If someone isn't actually "there" they shouldn't be able to do anything)

but then you have to take in account the players who die because of glitches. just earlier today, I died because I was hopping down the path leading to Gugrontid. not ten minutes later, I got stuck between a roof and a ledge, /unstick didn't work, so I had to /die. and there have been even worse instances. one time I was climbing up that rock face to the left of the BD, just got out of the watchtower, and POOF! I randomly teleport 1 mile into the sky and fall to my death.

here's a proposal.... why not just tell players to act like death is, you know, bad? obviously PS takes forever to implement things, so why not just post a few ooc notices around cities?

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »
keep insults and mockery out of the forum please
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Archon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 02:02:05 pm »
Heh.. I'm curious how you ended up between a ledge and a roof. I don't have many problems like that, I usually stick to the paths, it's a good idea to be careful. With more of a consequence, folks would use a bit more caution. Death should be feared by all, after all.. It's death... :)
Knowledge is infinite, but not invincible.
Now, nothing but a simple writer, waiting for tales.