Author Topic: Player Enforcement  (Read 1468 times)

bloodedIrishman

Player Enforcement
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:41 pm »
If a player is obviously breaking the rules of roleplay, then you have several options at your disposal.

A) Courteously remind to the player what they did wrong and what is best to do instead.

If the player does not listen and correct their mistake:

B) Report the player to a Game Master.

They will be dealt with.

Do not simply ignore them.

Enough said.

None of this whining about lack of dev enforcement on roleplaying, it's a community effort to reverse the wave of 'bad roleplay' or whatever it is.

Descriptions
1. "This male dwarf has invisible wings of an angel and casts demon arrows." Clearly, these abilities are out of settings.
2. "This female kran has a body-builder body." There are no female kran, and the use of the words 'body-builder' are out of settings.
3.  "This female dermorian gives you a seductive look, and you are allured to her vivacious scent and voluptuous body that arouses you." One player cannot determine another's response without consent.

Griefing
1. Player X harasses new players at the Hydlaa plaza and spams challenges.
2. Player X leads a Dlayo Gladiator and has a player killed.

Naming
1. There is a character named Kat who is a female enkiduai.
2. There is a character named XxXDestroyerXxX.

Roleplay fighting
1. Player X casts an epic fireblast that consumes everything in fifty yards.
2. Player X casts a series of speedy ice bolts.
3. Player X does three spins in mid air and jumps over the fence while throwing knives.

Godmodding
1. Player X is cloaked completely and cannot be recognized.
2. Player X stabs Enemy X to death.
3. Player X dodges everything.

Like I said.
Send the player a tell and inform them of their mistake and possibly what they could do instead. If they fail to do so, report them to a Game Master who will handle it.

This friendly reminder has been brought to you by bloodedIrishman & Co.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:09:20 am by bloodedIrishman »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Player Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:35:28 am »
Might I add provide a good example. They way many people learn is by observing others. They can't observe you if you aren't RPing around them.  ;)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:09:19 am »
this should be an announcement.

i swear, too many people are passive when they see trouble (even crimes irl). it's as if they expect someone else to do something (in this case devs), but if everyone else is like them then obviously no one will do anything. anyone hear about the dude in the pizza parlour who was harrassed by a woman and attacked by her boyfriend? the man was standing in line with at least 6 other guys, who did nothing but watch or look away. almost the same mentality.

if you see something, intervene. i know rping or virtual harrassment isn't as serious as that story, but being passive like that is disturbing and could develop irl.

</dr. sarras>

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 02:13:56 am »
Remember, you can petition and report, but don't spam it.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:53:36 pm »
Might I add provide a good example. They way many people learn is by observing others. They can't observe you if you aren't RPing around them.  ;)

I input several.

Vannaka

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:26:55 am »
Descriptions
1. "This male dwarf has invisible wings of an angel and casts demon arrows." Clearly, these abilities are out of settings.
Daemon Arrows are not out of settings.
Censorship FTW.

Rigwyn

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:30 pm »

If a player refuses to accept the possibility that they may become uncloaked against their will ( assuming the RP is valid ) then they should not be playing a shady character who relies on a disguise. This in my opinion is a risk that the player must accept and play though should it happen. For those shady characters who wish to operate covertly its a major blow however they should be creative if uncloaked and find ways to deal with the change ( ie. a bribe, a threat, pretending to become good  XD ).

Cloaks or disguises can be pulled off, burnt off, etc.. You just need to get the upper hand in the RP.

[ for clarity  cloaked == disguised ]

Oronec

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 01:18:29 pm »

If a player refuses to accept the possibility that they may become uncloaked against their will ( assuming the RP is valid ) then they should not be playing a shady character who relies on a disguise. This in my opinion is a risk that the player must accept and play though should it happen. For those shady characters who wish to operate covertly its a major blow however they should be creative if uncloaked and find ways to deal with the change ( ie. a bribe, a threat, pretending to become good  XD ).

Cloaks or disguises can be pulled off, burnt off, etc.. You just need to get the upper hand in the RP.

[Ah don't remind me.  I used to have disguising issues myself until I corrected it. Unless I still do.. *gasp* Either way, that's so true. Why avoid the main thrill of being cloaked?]

PhoenixRizin

• Hydlaa Resident
  • The end is important in all things
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »
ahhh yes..I've been uncloaked twice, which led to very interesting situations in both instances. to put it in perspective, how much would Scooby Doo suck if no one ever got unmasked? Once in a while you have to offer the good guys a payoff. However, good guys should know that they shouldn't ALWAYS be able to uncover the bad guy, nor should a good guy or bad guy be UNDEFEATABLE. Even Superman had weaknesses, even if he was almost invincible. Great villians are hard to find, thats why in other forms they keep coming back from the dead. Just keep a balance between the two and some great storytelling will happen.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:01:23 pm by PhoenixRizin »
"Just give me a wench an' a brew!" -The Remyl

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 04:11:24 pm »
Add a few to the list:

OOC spillover
1)
* X thoroughly defeats Y in a fight (without godmodding or anything like that)
* Y tells X: [you f***ing godmodder! f*** you! you can't m-f***ing do that!]
* X tells Y: [...eh? what?]
2)
* X insults Y (ICly)
* Y tells X: [f*** your mom!]

This is just plain bad.  I understand being somewhat attached to a char, but don't fly off the handle OOCly over IC issues, it'll just make you look bad.

Not understanding a character
I will speak from personal experience here, Kaerli is by far and wide a better fighter than your average citizen (in fact, she should apply for that job opening with the Sunshine Squadron :).  However, just because someone seems to be very strong and is beating you left, right, sideways, and upside down doesn't necessarily imply that the player behind him/her is a godmodder.  You might just be taking the wrong approach to the job!  (psst...yes, Kaerli is beatable, she traded injuries with Kanti, and is 0 and 2 going up against Alliva; don't forget about Marathal's freaknaut either xD :)  Also, the same thing holds true when it comes to personalities and behavior.  Don't assume that a character is going to behave in a stereotypical manner either:
* X dangles a dead rat in front of Y's nose, expecting her to scream
* Y laughs mockingly, throwing her head back "Oh, and that's nothing...ever gotten into an actual battle before?"

Not accepting advice
1)
* X tells Y [hey, you might want to ask a GM for a name change :) I mean...what sort of parent'd name their kid that?]
* Y tells X [go f*** yourself, and the GMs can do the same]
2)
* X: lolol :P
* Y tells X: [try using emotes and /me instead of smilies or chatspeak, you'll help the chatbox read and flow better that way :)]
* X tells Y: [shut up nazi, this is just a game, you don't have the right to do that]

This is, sadly, one of those cases where /report is the only option you have. :(  This is also, sadly, more common than it ought to be.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 04:20:31 pm by kaerli2 »

Mogweh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 11:13:21 pm »

I completely agree. Anyone who has tried to do anything sneaky will know, give the slightest hint of a clue and the Godmod brigade will prey. I just look at it as a mechanism so that can't happen easily. In the end all bad guys get their comeuppance - that's the fun of it, so we can lie our way out!

For myself, I'm trying to be more inventive with disguises, but sometimes due to time constraints the old {cloaked} comes out into the description.
Mogweh has left the building...

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 12:49:06 am »
Being disguised without reasonable amounts of hints and clues is godmodding.

Enough said.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:43:47 am »
I do believe Kull's been seen wandering around covered head to toe in a disguise.... at least, he didn't add much to the description when you asked to RP with Vakachehk, in your OOC request to jump him you made it clear you'd be completely unrecogniseable....

You can always use /me and /my do RP finding features: ie:
* Akkaido Kivikar looks carefully at the disguised figure, trying to ascertain what features the person has.

Response:

/my eyes are an unusual shade of blue, and my Enkidukai fur shows through orange around the eyes, and on my ungloved left paw, which has a scar/tattoo/whatever.

Descriptions aren't the be all and end all of RP... I often forget to read them if I've met the character before. I prefer Kaisa's method, a shortcut stating what the character is wearing to make things clear from the get-go.

Rigwyn

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:29 am »
[ odd this post somehow did not stick... please forgive if it shows up twice - reposting ]

The "and cannot be recognized" part is godmoding in that you are dictating to the other player that he cannot recognize you.

Being disguised, not leaving clues, and getting away with it is not godmoding - its just being very good or perhaps just lucky. Some of the more "shady" books in game actualy suggest being this sneaky and careful. I wont say which ones.

If your having trouble busting someone then just be patient .. they will eventually make a mistake and you may feel that much more gratified when you get them  ;D

Once the cat ..  er eh .. "Enki"  eats the mouse he can no longer play with it.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 11:21:09 am »
Sorry but if you are so disguised that no one can tell any detail about you then you are going to be to disguised to do much in the way of fighting or running and your victim should have an easy task to get away from you. In order to be that unrecognizable you are going to be pretty encumbered in material. Long flowing cloaks  don't make good things to be sword fighting in.  If your victim can't tell anything about the color of your eyes then you are going to be pretty blind yourself. There is also the issue of your voice. A cloak can't hide the sound of your voice. Even if you are trying to disguise your voice you are still probably going to have certain speech pattern and phrases that will tend to tip off who you really are. There is also the issue of certain smells. If the outlaw  also spends time crafting swords then there will get a smokey smell about you from spending time at the forge. Other crafting professions  will also have certain smells associated with them that probably hang around a person.

Sorry think I would have to agree in saying that you are so disguised that your victim can't tell anything about you yet you can move so well that you have no problem fighting or running your victim down should be considered god modding and not the type of person I'm going to be interested in having a RP with under those conditions.