Author Topic: Event Challenge - 30 Events in 3 months  (Read 250 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Event Challenge - 30 Events in 3 months
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:40:32 pm »
I would like to propose a challenge. 30 Role playing events in 3 months.

You don't need to be good at role playing, just willing to give it a shot. If you need he;lp or advice or have questions along the way, ask here and you will get it. I, and others will gladly help if asked.

These don't need to be huge events, they can be short 3 hour events if you like. From experience, I would suggest setting aside at least three hours per session.       

To qualify, simply come up with an idea for an event, and get started in-game. Once you've started your first session, start a thread under in-game role play events, and post the thread title here ( A link would be better )

You don't need to write out long stories, just post brief summaries or logs if you prefer. Kudos to those who include screen shots \0/

Good luck, and Whisper Bless!

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Event Challenge - 30 Events in 3 months
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »
I can definitely support the spirit of this challenge. DEaD has some things in the works, and I'm sure I can whip my sisters in DoX into shape ;P

I want to mention, not every event needs to be meticulously planned, there's a lot to be said for spontaneity.

Also, maybe after so much darkness and plagues and murders, it's time for some cheer? It's springtime afterall. Some arts festivals, poetry contests, for instance. One thing I know has been discussed often but I don't think has ever been tried is doing an ingame theatre performance.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:06:23 pm »
Excellent ideas, and I agree, events don't have to be planned or whatever.. The spirit of this challenge is to encourage RP.

A while back, there was some interest in making a theatre for plays in hydlaa. After a lot of debate, the RCD was opened and a stage was made inside. ... but there's no reason why people can't assemble and have outdoor performances on the lawns, in the plaza or where ever.

I agree with lighter themes too..  I remember seeing DOX do some sort of spring festival once - I forgot what they called it.... A whole slew of them assembled in Ojaveda and had a procession afterwords.. that was cool  8) ... For those who are unfamiliar with DOX's .. er eh.. *warmth* towards fellow members, it can be quite an eye opener ;)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:06:40 pm »
Amdemnier has a really cool amphitheater sorta thing.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:40 am »
I agree with lighter themes too..  I remember seeing DOX do some sort of spring festival once - I forgot what they called it.... A whole slew of them assembled in Ojaveda and had a procession afterwords.. that was cool
The Unodin Welcoming Celebration

It's springtime afterall. Some arts festivals, poetry contests, for instance. One thing I know has been discussed often but I don't think has ever been tried is doing an ingame theatre performance.
Sorry, I can only provide links to the offical event threads in -this- forum. There are discussions threads for each of these events pointing out possible problems and  suggestions on how to do it in the RCO forums. Ask Dannae to give you access if you are interested in those (she might have to move the event threads back from the archive to the RCO area though).
Amateur evening/Art evening
Poetry Contest
Theater play

Also the old RCO thread has links to other RCO events in one of the last posts..might give you some ideas nice ideas what to do.

Now allow me a few words on not planning events. Yes, this will work fine and should be even preferred for many types of events. But as there was the theater play example...mhh, the problems already started trying to find a time where all 6 actors could be online. Then of course we were lucky as Orgonwukh already wrote this play a year before. But even this way we needed some organization in advance as of course all actors had their own little ideas how to play their "chars" in the play and wanted some changes to the play. Oh..and this reminds me..We used this to create the bad words filter out of the theater play. Might be handy for other events with some scripted parts. So in the end, sorry, no, I don't think you can run a event like a theater play without some planning in advance. But as I said...there are plenty of other events that work out and probably should be even done without much planning.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:01:05 am »
Aiwendil,

Thanks for your input. Your events have always been highly successful and have attracted a large number of players. The work that you, Lhaa and others have put into it these events is unparalleled...  its funny how to the casual observer, the work done is not noticed. One sees a party, play, or gathering but not the weeks of coordinating and arranging that goes into it'. You make it look deceptively easy :-)

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »
That's why I pointed to the RCO forum. There is plenty of input and event ideas from a large number of people (if I remember right including you Rigwyn ;)). Just thinking it would be a waste of time to reinvint the wheel if you can make use of others work already (A lot of the ideas there aren't exactly events itself but general games/performances/hints that could work well in many events). There should be a whole thread just with possible events. For some of them we just never found the time (and later the motivation) to do them, others were not really suitable for the Den but would work out perfectly fine in other locations.

For the "You make it look deceptively easy"...haha..thx, but as some forum mods might tell you it is not true. Just as we weren't allowed to express our frustration in public as "privileged players" the relation between events and some rants might have slipped by unnoticed. ;)

Edit:
Ugh..okay, bad me. Of course I could only think of "our" resource base for events and forgot another, very important and successful one. The Stonehead forums also contain event ideas and general roleplaying ideas.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:24:43 pm by Aiwendil »