Author Topic: Quitting  (Read 1008 times)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Quitting
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:32:22 am »
Hey. So yeah, this will be somewhat difficult to write, as I in no way actually want to quit planeshift. Sadly, I don't have much of a choice. It seems I cannot get much of a sentence in any longer without crashing spontaneously, no matter what magical technological trick I try to fix the client. I had hoped to at least finish up some role plays beforehand, but the issue of trying to get the client to even load, which itself takes about half an hour on bad days, and then having it crash instantly, is becoming increasingly aggravating.

So, no. I don't want to quit. But I feel that I don't really have much of a choice anymore. I used to be able to run multiple clients, up to three, at the same time without any hassle at all. Now I can not even run one for any length of time. And yes, I have tried multiple reparations. A special thank you to Sasigher and Rigwyn and all those others that have tried to help me so many times on IRC to get the dang thing running. I'm sure talking a tech-idiot like myself through such things was incredibly annoying, but your effort was most certainly appreciated.

I've met a lot of really neato frito folks on this game. It's a unique community, and I think that's it's main draw, really. A powerful pull. You make friends both Icly and Oocly, and that's something that's pretty rare when you're just playing some MMO. I learned a lot from a lot of people, (considering I was horribad at role play when I joined, having never ever done it before,) and learned even more about writing. It was a unique tool, really, and I hope that when I try to write a book it'll help me out, especially in the way of character development. Thanks to the Adani Order for all of their help as well, and inviting this nooblet into their guild. I'ma miss all the zainy personalities in there quite a bit, though they all know where to find me if they still want to chatter. ;)

I am sorry I didn't get to finish the role plays that were running. Lots of interesting stuff was occurring. Maybe if sometime in the future PS gets the client more stable I'll try again, but in the meantime I simply can't justify the hours it takes staring at the black screen of death to get the game to load. I may try to start some forum role plays in the future if anyone might be interested in it, and I'm perfectly willing to role play on the IRC chat for those who are up for it. If folks would like to seek out a continuation of the Butcher RP via that method, just send me a PM.

And...that's about it, folks. I love ya, have a good one, and have fun gaming. Peace out.

Sincerely,

Barsidious, Rhianon, Rheyai, Evirea, Ziljhi, Cezote, and a bunch of other personalities that you don't get to know just in case the player gets the gusto to try fixing the client again.

Edit: Found another computer to run it on for the week I'm on break, so I'll try to finish some role plays, and possibly get it to run on mine. I make no promises, though. I will at least finish the Butcher (barsidious) part of the RP so it's not a big ugly IC scar with no end.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:55:48 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

SAristo

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Quitting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:35:25 am »
Bad news, sorry to hear it. Appreciated your positivity and sense of humor in posts and had been looking forward to meeting your char/s - don't think it's happened in game yet - and now, it's my loss. Hope you find that mother of all client fixes.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:49:16 am »
Hey,
its sad to hear you are quitting like this :(
If in the same system you could run 2-3 clients you can't even load one there must be something really wrong, it can't be normal for the client. Maybe you should try to open a ticket on the bugtracker filling in as much information about your system as possible... Or check if there is something wrong with your system in general, especially if you have other programs running slower too (its common for viruses or spyware to deplete your ram). Anyway, when you are up to trying to fixit again I guess. :)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 04:03:49 am »
Although not as bad as things sound for Mariana, Hydlaa has become intolerable for me to bother playing much as well. It is less likely that virus or spyware is the culprit on Linux.

- Nova

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 04:28:40 am »
Computer problems suck... we have them now and then. As I said offline, sorry to hear about how these problems have affected you. Hopefully in the future the client will work on your computer. Until then, stay in touch.. IRC rp is just as fun.  :sorcerer:

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 05:05:23 am »
Guess it's too late to offer help to getting the client to work for you...So enjoy the summer and get out a bit. ;)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:24:12 am »
I'm sorry to hear it - I'll miss you in guildchat! Keep in touch though; I'd like to hear about your writing.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:37:49 am »
* Aramara Meibi throws herself onto Mariana's funeral pyre.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Citira

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 07:58:55 am »
I happened to read this and made an account especially to say goodbye.

I only met you recently but I have really enjoyed RPing with you and I will miss you, if you want to keep in touch send me a forum PM and I can give you my msn or something. Take care of yourself Mariana and I hope you manage to get the client working again out of my selfish desire to RP with you more :P

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 09:32:14 am »
Well, if I wasn't such an idiot with computers I'd try and help you. Maybe it has to do with graphics?
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:33 am »
Say it ain't so! :'(

Totally understandable, though. Perhaps if you get a shiny new computer sometime in the future you can try again, yesno?

I will miss you and all of your characters (and your vivid, detailed posts) very much, but as you said, there are other avenues of RP and of staying in touch, so all is not lost.

Thank you for lots of fun and frequent moments of brilliance.  :thumbup:

~Timil, etc.~

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 07:35:03 pm »
* Mariana Xiechai walks over and pulls Aramara off of the funeral pyre. "Anybody got some salve?"
@ Knightspark9 considering that the computer I'm running it on for this spring break week has a lower end graphics card, somehow I doubt that's the issue. It's most certainly the client, I've just got to figure it out. I'll give it a go as I have when I have the free time, I simply don't have much of it. So, no promises.
@ Timil:  :-[ You're far too generous.
@ Citira: Well knowing me once I get done having a hissy fit about how glitchy the client is I'll try again, but for the moment...eh.
@Candy perhaps, if I ever stop being lazy and actually write something. :P
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:46:56 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 09:07:24 pm »
* Tessra slinks in, a delicate porcelain pot held in her hand.  She looks over at Mariana, and smiles sweetly "Don't ask where I got it or what's in it."

Personally.. I think this is a serious overreaction to not wanting to have your promotion ceremony.  Sheesh! you could have just talked to me or trav, we'd have forced car to back off! As to the rest, well, here's hoping you can get things sorted out, but you ain't getting rid of me simply because of a wonky client!  :love:
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »
First of all, you are not quitting. I won't allow that. You are merely on a temporary leave.  Second of all, you are going to have to be around on IRC at least.

Okay?
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »
First of all, you are not quitting. I won't allow that. You are merely on a temporary leave.  Second of all, you are going to have to be around on IRC at least.

Okay?

Since Zalya was the one with enough guts to say it...Yeah, you're simply on a temporary leave.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.