Author Topic: Divine Intervention  (Read 265 times)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Divine Intervention
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:59:42 pm »
So here's my dilema. I have two infected characters, which is an enjoyable thing to play and I don't have an issue with it. But I'm also playing as an alchemist who is working on a cure. One of the infected characters is going to perish, but the other, Mariana, I don't really play on all that frequently (in favor of trying to finish the butcher RP.) However, never one to cope out of a good chance for character development, the idea is this:

Mariana is a self-proclaimed agnostic. Would it not be interesting to have her walk into the Garden of Xiosia...and experience a miracle?

I ask for opinions on this, and also someone to perhaps participate in such an RP. I think it would be interesting, and have ramifications on my character. Ie, make her come face to face with her own hypocrisy. So I suppose the real question is, who's brave enough to take on the mantle of Xiosia the goddess, in whatever form? I think the Daughters of Xiosia would be an interesting group to include of course. Could be fun. My only problem with it is that it makes my character seem far too "important." Why would Xiosia help her? Randomly? Especially when so many others are sick?

Unsure. Your thoughts?

Tanosn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Intervention
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:10:01 pm »
There have been instances where one of the gods (I think it was Xiosia) had given players skills. I wasn't at the supposed event, so that is merely hear-say. I would have no personal problem with Mariana merely being cured by Xiosia, it is just another gift that she would be giving out. At the same time, Xiosia could be gaining a follower, as well as other infected flocking to the goddess for aid.

Now, this should probably be cleared with who ever would be in charge of Xiosia's actions, just to make sure we are not breaking the atmosphere of the game, since the general rule is that the gods do not get involved. :)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 06:21:33 pm »
Xiosia is within. If She 'cures' Mariana, it will only be because Mariana has realized the divinity within herself and within every other living being. If you're looking for a deity with ulterior motives for healing someone, look to one of those lesser Gods.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:49:18 pm »
Yknow, except for Xiosia being an entity thats been seen in the flesh more than once. But sure, that works too.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »
@ Tanosn: I've thought about that, too. It would create an influx towards the goddess I guess.
@ Aramara: I disagree, I'm afraid. Seems like it takes on a lot of IRL religious views, maybe close to buddhism. Divinity is everywhere, a spirt in the rock or tree, etc. I'm not sure, what religion is that exactly? Anyway, I don't think the settings are concrete enough to make such a CONCRETE statement. Also, I've heard of her healing people before ICly, Caraick to name one. And she turned Ardoin into a Kikiri. I don't think an internal spiritual change is necessary.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »
Divinity is everywhere, a spirt in the rock or tree, etc. I'm not sure, what religion is that exactly?

that's every religion.

I'm not speaking against your idea Mari, or the idea that Xiosia can appear to anyone. Xiosia is the Spirit of LIFE, so She is inherit in all living things. You asked a very good question, why would She heal Mari but not the others? Not only is she the Goddess of Life, but she is the Goddess of balance, her love is equal for all living things, she wouldn't favor one over the other. But since Mari has for the greater part of her life rejected the gods, and the disease was enough to accept them, or at least one, into her heart, Xiosia would do it as a sign of love and faith. The spiritual awakening and the healing would be one. The healing would manifest both spiritually and physically.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:14:59 pm by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Tanosn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »
No it's not. *Edit: This referring to the statement that there is spirit in every rock and tree, and this being in every religion. it isn't Anyways, irrelevant!

And lets not go there, otherwise things could get ugly.

So! opinions on Mari being cured by Xiosia? Yes? No? Perhaps at a cost of some sorts?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:48:33 pm by Tanosn »

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:28:01 pm »
No it's not.

Second.

And I dunno about it, but there IS an alternative if a decision cant be reached on it. Have someone from the DOX get ahold of a cure or somesuch (it'l probably turn up anyways. Several people already had miracle cures, which is mostly bullshit but to each their own) but due to the hallucinations caused by plague, THINK its Xiosia.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:31:38 pm »
No it's not.

Thirded, very incorrect statement, but not relevant to the discussion.

Anyway, I suppose I could go with that, Trav, or I'll probably just have Evi use her painful weeks long treatment on Mari in the background to heal her, as I can't actually double-log, unless something else comes up. That's a third option. I was planning on, if a spiritual healing happened, having Mari struggle with the reprocussions and try to deal with the novel idea that the gods actually do something other than watch and stay out of everybody's business. Thanks for the statements, all!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:39:26 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »
I like the concept of Mariana having a spiritual dilemma.  Perhaps, after whatever mechanism of healing is chosen, she could have a heart to heart with the DoX girls?

I really admire the way you are looking into the future ramifications of your character's growth and change.  It's far too rare to see people who actively allow their characters to grow and mature.  I suppose there's always that attitude of others that views change as being fickle on the part of the player, but I disagree.  It's only rational to let the character change based on who and what they encounter. 

[And as a total aside back to the side topic... the concept of the circle of life/spirit within all is predominantly in Pagan-based religions i.e. those which originated in the folk/rustic communities, encompassing many of the Far Eastern, Tribal, Native American, Ancient Egyptian and the Celtic, Norse and Hellenic older religions.  It's not quite as common in the non-Pagan religions, such as Christianity or Judaism, but they do allow for the concept of creation, and by creation a sense of uniqueness and connection to the Creator of all living things.]

Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 07:53:06 pm »
I also like the idea of giving Mariana something to wrestle with in terms of her worldview. Whether it's Xiosia or whoever, it would be an interesting thing for her to come to terms with. And like Tessra said, it's good to have characters develop and grow with new experiences. I mean, isn't that a big part of RPGs, experience?  ;)

[Edit - Addendum] What if Mariana experienced what was obviously a divine healing, but it was left ambigious as to WHO was responsible for the healing? She would then be left trying to figure out which of the gods or goddesses to thank... Sort of a divine whodunnit.  :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:54:44 am by Timil Deeps »