Author Topic: Hosting an event outside the game  (Read 220 times)

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Hosting an event outside the game
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:20 am »
Hello hello all! I've come to pose another question to the masses in the hope of helpful feedback.

Soon (hopefully this weekend) the first part of the butcher RP will be coming to an end. (Weep weep  :'( ) However, in order to run the RP properly, I need to have to be able to control two characters at once.

I cannot do this. I can barely control one without crashing every five minutes. So, rather than deal with the crappy client/system/whatever, the idea is to host the roleplay elsewhere. A google+ document, IRC in a chatroom, et cetera. Hopefully that would make the entire experience be more fun and smooth, rather than having to wait to load for half an hour repeatedly and wasting gobs of time, as usual.

So I suppose there are two questions:

1. Who would be willing to go outside the game in order to accomplish this, so long as the setting was clearly established?

2. Which media would be preferable in hosting such an event?

Thank you kindly for your replies!

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hosting an event outside the game
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:49 am »
I don't think it's a bad idea considering the circumstances.

You know how I feel about google docs. It's an awesome tool, one that works quite well for roleplay. The only trouble with it is coordination, you would need all participants emails before hand to invite them to the doc, and they would need to register their email with google to be able to gain access to it, which maybe not everyone would be happy doing.

I am an ever increasing fan of IRC though.

Of course, either way, you lose one of the greatest elements of RP that the PS client provides, which is people randomly stumbling onto the scene. If you have a precoordinated group of players in an event, you remove the chance of wildcard characters, who could drastically change the outcome of the event.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:19 am »
Actually Aramara, I'd agree with that last comment. What I'm going to do is try to increase the "randomness" element by leaving "clues" behind, in game, on on character. Then, at a set time, I will host the event. Essentially because I've set the stuff in the game for anyone to find, I'm hoping that allows players to stumble upon it "at random," and then follow the instructions, etc.

Thanks for the comments.

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
It sounds like a lot of fun, and I'd love to be able to participate. It just depends on my RL availability between work and family. TBH, this weekend doesn't look too promising for me, sorry to say.  :'(

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:42:53 pm »
Find me on IRC :D
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »
Actually Aramara, I'd agree with that last comment. What I'm going to do is try to increase the "randomness" element by leaving "clues" behind, in game, on on character. Then, at a set time, I will host the event. Essentially because I've set the stuff in the game for anyone to find, I'm hoping that allows players to stumble upon it "at random," and then follow the instructions, etc.

it sounds like IRC is the way to go. Your 'clues' could contain the name of the channel to connect to in IRC, maybe have multiple channels for multiple areas.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 06:03:10 pm »
And maybe a password, with that being available to anyone who finds the hints in game. Just so JoeB0b141 Doesn't enter the room >.>
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:36:48 am »
Just as you mentioned google docs...might want to try http://piratepad.net/front-page/
Should have enough options for RP but doesn't need a google account. Though I think you are better off with IRC.

Also useful (for example to determine the places of characters in a battle): http://www.twiddla.com/

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 12:21:52 pm »
Might be able to. In Louisiana.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.