Author Topic: core i3 integrated graphic problems under Ubuntu (shaders)  (Read 1879 times)

Bazu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
core i3 integrated graphic problems under Ubuntu (shaders)
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:30 am »
Hello I have a problem running PS under my Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick).

I have Intel HD graphic integrated on chip (core i3-540)

I have the implemented graphical drivers (i wrote more about it further)

When i load the game with more than lowest shaders (other settings do not change effect as far as i know (i tried full/nonfull screen, various resolutions, AA, AF, i have all effects (shadows, grass...) off)) then the game get horrible stucked (especially in arena and when casting spells). It moves only each 20 sec. for just a bit - cant nothing to do. I must reset the comp. With lowest shaders its fine. But the main problem is that i cant see some objects - i think i cant see any items on the ground (i tested with mushrooms, fish, keg, and so on) when they are on the ground (inventory is fine), i cant see them. I must locate them with (/target next item). Its okay with objects that i know about, but when i am searching for some new, its really problem.

I cant see some other objects too - eg signposts - i can see them with shaders on medium and higher level. But in this case i dont see the texture - i just see the contures of the object and the inside is fuzzy and transparent. In addition it  heavily distorts the objects in front (from my point of view) and behind it.

I dont know what to do with this. I described all major problems, because i dont know if they are connected (i think so), but the major issue for me are the invisible objects. It really breaks the game.

I was searching for precompiled drivers from intel (here they say to use precompiled (i havent managed compilation yet) http://intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html). And i found that on ubuntu there should be this drivers already integrated in installation(??).

Or is the problem with the Intel graphic?? I thought its not fast but surely faster than Geforce 4 (which is recommended) and have new technologies implemented (as far as i know)?? So i dont get why are there such graphical bugs,

((I tried some basic commands recommended by ubuntu to test the 3d acceleration and it looks good (some rotating objects and some commands).))

Many thanks for help.

Bazu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: core i3 integrated graphic problems under Ubuntu (shaders)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 05:30:16 am »
I removed shadecache by the way...

Bazu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:36:10 am »
one more thing: i tried Regnum online before PS and it refused to start because there is no 3d acceleration. I thought it can be that the game does not support intel graphic, but it can be the failure of my graphic.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:03:31 am »
Hi there

Integrated graphics, especially from intel are mostly crap. So keep the shaders low like us other fellow laptop-users.  ;)

And about the invisible items:
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=37400.0
11. Invisible/Black Items:
This has gotten a rather common issue lately on lower end graphics cards. To fix it add the following line to your planeshift.cfg:
PlaneShift.Items.Instantiate = false

Good luck   :)

Minks

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:58:46 am »
Better get some more or less decent Nvidia. Even not the most recent one would be better than what you have.

Bazu

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »
Thank you. The command to fix the invisibility worked. I will think about buying better video card.

qwertymc2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 07:02:47 am »
I tried latest version on Windows 7 with latest Catalyst and my HD3870: with everything set to very high if I use the torch it becomes very slow. It's a 3 years old high end card! Planeshift shaders implementation just sucks.
With Gentoo and open drivers I have to set shaders to low otherwise: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?33116-What-s-wrong-with-planeshift-and-shaders-set-to-gt-medium.

Fortunately R600g can now run Planeshift with S3TC on and everything set to very high except form shaders.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:31:50 pm »
well it works perfectly with 4 years old mid end from nvidia using decent drivers and not opensource.
as for the lights it's dynamic lights what did you expect whooping performance?

qwertymc2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 01:53:42 pm »
Doom3 does support dynamic lighting, it has much MUCH better graphic and it runs at 60 fps with 6 years old cards. It works even with open drivers, so I think it's quite strange that planeshift does not have good performance with an HD3870 under windows.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:55:29 pm by qwertymc2 »

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »
then write better ones.