Author Topic: Spoilers in Gossip Channel  (Read 1277 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Spoilers in Gossip Channel
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:02 am »
Just so it's clear the rule against spoiling does apply to all public channels including gossip.

I have informed the gm team that in this time of diminished player numbers that going out of their way to enforce this rule may not be the best way to spend their time. However, if you, as a player, feel a particular instance of spoiling is very bad, feel free to report or petition the issue and we'll investigate it.

I would like to have the gm team focused on POSITIVE endeavors for the time being.

Please Enjoy PlaneShift safely.

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Spoilers in Gossip Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:18:38 pm »
Just so it's clear the rule against spoiling does apply to all public channels including gossip.

I have informed the gm team that in this time of diminished player numbers that going out of their way to enforce this rule may not be the best way to spend their time. However, if you, as a player, feel a particular instance of spoiling is very bad, feel free to report or petition the issue and we'll investigate it.

I would like to have the gm team focused on POSITIVE endeavors for the time being.

Very nice! I strongly belief that any kind of education (being with children or as a GM or in any other way) should be done, not by punishing bad behaviour (unless it gets out of hand or is plain illegal of course) but more by encouraging/rewarding good behaviour. For educating children this is considered to be the 'Right Thing To Do' and I believe it might also apply in other areas.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:32:27 pm »
All we need now is a way of making a chat channel private so you do not need to be in a guild to trade spoilers. As it is now all user chat channels can be considered public because you can join them if you know or guess the name. Are there any rules that would allow a channel creator to petition a gm to bar someone from their channel? Is that even possible as it stands today?

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:37 pm »
Not really bilbous. It is always possible to use tell. You can put in a feature request for private channels.

As I stated above, we're trying to focus our efforts on creating events rather than excessive policing.

bangoor

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:41 pm »
what is the exact definition of spoiling?

I could not find a definition on the forum.

Ingles

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:41 pm »
 Try this one in [MUST READ] Game rules and Policies  ^^ http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=31960.msg367027#msg367027

Or if that is not what you want try. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_(media)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:43:47 pm by Ingles »

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 04:07:26 pm »
The question becomes, where do you draw the line on what constitutes spoilers?  Obviously quest solutions are off limits, though asking if a quest is currently working would be acceptable.  What about questions like, where do I find [insert ore here] or where can I find [insert NPC here]?
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

bangoor

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:11:10 pm »
thank you Ingles.

The Wiki def is not really helpful.

The [must read] does not help either. No definition.

In general, Xillix said that 'something' is not allowed. But that 'something' is not really defined.

You see what i mean?

Additionally, there are 'instances of spoiling'. To me that increases the confusion.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:16:29 pm by bangoor »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »
The best way to not spoil is to give hints and not outright answers.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »
The question becomes, where do you draw the line on what constitutes spoilers?  Obviously quest solutions are off limits, though asking if a quest is currently working would be acceptable.  What about questions like, where do I find [insert ore here] or where can I find [insert NPC here]?

Indeed, but well, from what I know are ore and npc location spoilers aswell. Those are things you better ask someone you meet in the game.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:23:09 pm »
I think people are trying to make the definition of a spoiler to hard.  Before saying something on a public channel where everyone can hear it ask yourself this " Is this piece of information something someone might like to discover on their own? Think of spoiler information like giving away the surprise ending of a mystery novel. Some people like to jump to the the last few pages and read them first before starting the mystery novel and some people don't want to know anything about the ending until they get there. To help protect those people who don't want to know the ending till they get there don't give away any endings in public.

Personally I love spoilers so I really hate the spoiler rules but I understand those people who hate spoilers and don't want any information given away they might enjoy discovering for themselves. Yes there will always be grey areas as to what is and isn't a spoiler ( sort of like endless debates between people with different artistic tastes debating over what is good or bad art). Hopefully most people can agree that things like.

Riddle answers
Location of different mines.
Exactly which quests you have to do to achieve certain things.
Locations of NPCs

Would fit in the spoiler class. If you have any doubt if something is a spoiler or not then send the Info via a tell and not on a public channel.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:23 pm »
Are you serious?

A spoiler is any information that a player should discover on their own.  I don't want to mince words. People need to ask in private for such things as quest solutions, locations of mines, how to get into the winch, or any other element of the game that is supposed to be found through individual action.

Posting these things in a public channel reveals information that someone else may not want to have revealed to them, so it is out of bounds.

Again, I don't want this to be another long drawn out argument. It is pretty clear what a spoiler is. Please avoid asking for, or answering, questions of this nature in any public medium.

bangoor

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:19 pm »
Are you serious?  Y E S!

Thank you Sarva. You cleared a lot of ground.
That's sufficient. At least for me.

Well...
This is not so clear to me:
'...or any other element of the game that is supposed to be found through individual action'

This is no joke. The ramifications of violating the 'spoiler rule' could be severe. So i think it is beneficial to clear it up.
Also, if this leads to consistency, maybe we gained something. A healthy discussion should be allowed on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:16:00 pm by bangoor »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 08:45:38 pm »
A healthy discussion should be allowed on this forum.

;D No no no no no.... I'm sorry but all "healthy" discussions on this forum get infected easily. And the ramifications for that can be worse. If you really have difficulty telling try revealing as little OOC information as possible if you play on Laanx. Talking ICly helps greatly with not revealing spoilers.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 08:58:46 pm »
A healthy discussion should be allowed on this forum.

;D No no no no no.... I'm sorry but all "healthy" discussions on this forum get infected easily. And the ramifications for that can be worse. If you really have difficulty telling try revealing as little OOC information as possible if you play on Laanx. Talking ICly helps greatly with not revealing spoilers.

Indeed, but it's not always possible to do that especially if you field a lot of alts/your main isn't a townsperson + you can't multiclient :S