Author Topic: Tutorial and sound  (Read 553 times)

Uffargh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Tutorial and sound
« on: March 09, 2010, 10:58:30 am »
I'm new to planeshift, but old to RPG's and MMORPG's So I'd thought I'd bite down hard and complete the torturial. I have some questions/thoughts about it tough:

Have you scripted it so the music volume go up when you "complete" these things? When I first found out that the tutorial NPC's had actual voices I turned the volume down so I could hear them properly.

What the voices say are often different than what the text says, and the text is slightly delayed to be in synch with the audio. I'm thinking that it could be my backwater connection acting up.

But when the NPC's start advisning MAC users via the audio, the text just keeps on going (at least the first 2 turtorial npcs does that). Thats extremely confusing. Even when such things doesn't happen it's really hard to follow the instructions.

It all concluded in a nice pandemonium for me, when I was learning to use the forge (I never found out what i needed to learn there) - I had the forge and my inventory open, and I chose to talk to the dwarf NPC  - Suddenly a voice speaks out - there's text which is delayed and incorrect - and the music starts off at maximum volume (which I had, at that time, turned completely off). ALL at the same time.

I'm not trying to point any fingers, hell I don't even know if this is bug or an actual complaint. But this is a really strange introduction to a game. Y'know if the turtorial is working this well, is the actual game worth my time?

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that I'd really like to learn more about Planeshift, but your tutorial wont let me.

Regards
Uffargh

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial and sound
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:27:51 pm »
Certain fixes to the text had to be done to accommodate changes after the release, the audio then becomes out of sync. Unfortunately this means re-recording the quest fully (which is very time consuming). This may very well have been too ambitious and therefore the audio may have to be removed.

Having recorded all of the male voices personally, I have next to zero inclination to re-record the whole thing until we get a text that's solid and stands the test of time.

I'd say pull the audio for now!

Uffargh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:05 pm »
I was thinking it could be something like that. I've never really tried anything made by non-paid and volunteer work of this magnitude before, so maybe I'm wrong thinking such things would've been removed ages ago...  :)

Hey, I don't think I ever owned a game that didn't acted up once in a while...

If I cancel all the audio in the chat options, will this decrease my experience of game later on? Or are most audio-files out of date as well?

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »

Having recorded all of the male voices personally, I have next to zero inclination to re-record the whole thing until we get a text that's solid and stands the test of time.

off topic but now im confused, some people say xillix is a guy some say a girl, id thin girls since the forum name but im really confused now XD
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:36:05 pm »
off topic but now im confused, some people say xillix is a guy some say a girl, id thin girls since the forum name but im really confused now XD

read the credits ;)

If I cancel all the audio in the chat options, will this decrease my experience of game later on? Or are most audio-files out of date as well?

most audio should work and isn't out of date.
however, some of the quest voices are. if you find those irritating, just mute those in the options and leave the rest unmuted