Author Topic: Brightness control for the PlaneShift client  (Read 1768 times)

Giraut Mawhrin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Brightness control for the PlaneShift client
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:30:15 pm »
Hello everybody,

I've always found the PS maps to be too dark since the switch to lighter2, especially since the server always restarts at midnight game-time each time it crashes, so I've grown tired enough of the darkness to do a quick-and-dirty something about it. I figured other people would find it useful as well, so I'm posting it here.

It's a patch to the PS client that adds controls to adjust the brightness of the lights in the current scenery. With this, you can turn night into day, and day into a Cote-d'Azur-sunny sort of day. It's not optimized or anything, but it works well enough for the purpose. You can grab it here:

http://myspace.voo.be/pcoupard/planeshift/planeshift_brightness_correction_patch.tar.gz

I hope you'll like it.
Take care y'all.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: Brightness control for the PlaneShift client
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:11:27 pm »
first is not allowed to use mods on the official server, and 2 planeshift does not use cvs anymore so all of what you posted is incorrect for a correct start, start here http://planeshift.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/planeshift/trunk/docs/compiling.html

Cebot

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 06:24:50 pm »
Good job so far, but I have to agree with caarrie, PS uses SVN now, therefore you should read the compiling guide and adjust your README and make sure your patch is compatible with the latest stable svn branch.

As for the not allowed part. I think since this patch is to help users to solve the brightness issue, Talad and Acraig won't have anything against it, however, you should make sure that they are OK with it by asking them on IRC or by PM or email.

I would also post that patch on the bugtracker as feature request with "patch included" and see if Talad approves it, if it gets approved it can be merged into the official source. Heck, thats a very useful patch, imho, really good job!
So why do I love when I still feel pain?
When does it end, when is my work done?
Why do I fight and why do I feel that
I carry a sword, that I carry a sword through a battlefield?

VNV Nation - Joy

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:40:49 pm »
http://www.hydlaa.com/flyspray_upgrade/index.php?do=details&task_id=1401

FYI only testers and devs can mark bugs "patch included" just simply posting a comment with the patch in svn diff format is enough to get a tester to review it, but talad does not like people working on feature requests before they are approved, but you have done that before you knew otherwise.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »
Let's allow Talad to review it, I agree it is dark out there.

Giraut Mawhrin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 07:11:20 pm »
Sorry for the README, it was a copy-paste from another older patch I had made. As for what it patches against, I only make patches against stable, because I don't really care about trunk. This was for people to use on Laanx, which of course Caarie, you are right, is not allowed and I forgot. My bad, I've pulled the tarball.

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:34 pm »
since you have taken the time to make it post it to the tracker with an svn diff and see if your hard work gets ingame.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:10:27 pm »
I haven't tried it, but I still want to say THANK YOU!!!  I love PlaneShift, but this darkness issue has been a real problem for me, Here's hoping your patch makes it in.

neko kyouran

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:14 pm »
Going to move this to the fan art section to put it with the other threads of mods and what not types of things.  :)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:55:42 am »
i had saved a copy of the patch and it is now submitted to the feature request with a few small modifications, seems talad has approved it so once the devs review it you can look foward to seeing this ingame in the future. Thanks Giraut for taking the time to add this feature.

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 12:34:48 pm »
IMO, you can temporarly give everyone nightvision ability. Because if it is too dark for people and they wan't it lighter, maybe as light as it is in rainy weather(probably not in PS yet) at day, then a night needs to look different.
I imagine nightvision as avarage lightness but with very low saturation, so every color is barely distinguishable. Is it that?

When we can have lanterns, magic, people could light up some larger area, so not everyone would need to have nightvison.

In general i believe a dark night when you can barely see anything is very immersive. Annoying, but adding to the game. Though if people don't want their characters go resting at a night and still see everything easly, maybe change the setting and let the Azure Sun shine all the time, or something? - that paragraph after we have light sources.
Sorry, about writing about the same issue yet again.

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 06:29:32 am »
the code that was provided and slightly modified has made it into trunk and will be in the next release/update of the official client.