Author Topic: Trading  (Read 2182 times)

armills

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Trading
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:20:39 am »
I was a long-time player of EVE Online. One of my favorite aspects of the game was the vast economic structure of that world.

I understand Planeshift is still in development, but I was wondering on how player-to-player trading works in this world. I found this section in the player guide (http://www.planeshift.it/guide/en/guide-trading.html#guide-trading-selling) which says that player-to-player selling seems to only be in a "trade" style window.

I've found quite a few forum posts where people are setting up markets, or there is a market day where people come to set up shop. Is there an alternative "AFK" method for selling items, or is it always done by hand?

Thanks for your help

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: Trading
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
it needs someone coding it.

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:59 am »
Hello hello! There are market days, but most everyone is willing to trade something; usually raw materials or finished goods. A typical day in the main city offers a good chance to trade with players; provided you have the materials they're after.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »
Trading is done in person. I should hope we never develop an 'AFK' trading system. WHY? Because we're here to Roleplay, and trading in person gives us a chance to roleplay the situation in character.

Planeshift is a medieval fantasy setting, and to think that anything completely automated exists within the world would only destroy the settings.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

armills

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »
Trading is done in person. I should hope we never develop an 'AFK' trading system. WHY? Because we're here to Roleplay, and trading in person gives us a chance to roleplay the situation in character.

Planeshift is a medieval fantasy setting, and to think that anything completely automated exists within the world would only destroy the settings.

That was my guess, since the focus is on roleplaying, and that makes sense.

I saw in the description of one of the market days a request to limit how many items you have on display, to limit lag. It seemed like based on that description there was a way to put items up for sale. I'd like to create a merchant type of player, that can trade and move around goods, etc. It seems reasonable to be able to set up a market stall, with items listed for sale, and items I'd like to buy; however, I can also understand the desire to keep all aspects of the game RP'd.

I actually found a better description of the current economy here (http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/pswiki/index.php?title=Dynamic_Economy#How_does_the_economy_work_in_PS_today). I think the current system is pretty good. Merchants can provide low-quality items, but the high-quality ones must be player-made.

To me, one of the most appealing aspects of EVE was the fact that nearly everything you could buy had to be made by a player at some point, and as such the entire economy was player-driven. It seems like this made the game much richer, knowing that there was this whole supply chain supported by actual players to provide the items, although their system makes transactions completely impersonal and wouldn't make sense here.

Thanks for your help

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 12:44:15 pm »

I hope we develop a trading system anyway (soon or later). Why? In the latter months I happen to be able to log when very few people are playing (usually 20 or less) so there are very few opportunity to roleplay and trade as well for those of us who are not playing in the US timezone. Also an offline "postal service" of sort could be handy as well.
unfortunately I am unable to help coding at the moment.

armills

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:57 pm »

I hope we develop a trading system anyway (soon or later). Why? In the latter months I happen to be able to log when very few people are playing (usually 20 or less) so there are very few opportunity to roleplay and trade as well for those of us who are not playing in the US timezone. Also an offline "postal service" of sort could be handy as well.
unfortunately I am unable to help coding at the moment.

I'll be trying Planeshift out soon myself. I just recently graduated, and I'm not sure how busy I'll be during my job. If people want the feature I'd be more than happy to give the coding a try. However, I don't want to break the atmosphere of roleplay.

To me it seems the bazaar model from EQ seems like a fair compromise. You setup your character so that he acts like an NPC merchant. You have items to sell and items to buy, and players can interact using the same interface.

It's less personal than the current model, but it still requires the same level of interaction as an NPC merchant instead of just a completely arbitrary searchable market. Also as noted by Eonwind, sometimes there are just physical constraints like timezones that need to be overcome, and given the choice between automated player-to-player interactions or none at all it seems that this is a better setup.

ether

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:14:42 pm »
That was my guess, since the focus is on roleplaying, and that makes sense.

I saw in the description of one of the market days a request to limit how many items you have on display, to limit lag. It seemed like based on that description there was a way to put items up for sale. I'd like to create a merchant type of player, that can trade and move around goods, etc. It seems reasonable to be able to set up a market stall, with items listed for sale, and items I'd like to buy; however, I can also understand the desire to keep all aspects of the game RP'd.

Consider setting up a stall and hiring some players to run the shop while you're out in the real world?  Good RP chance there.  =P

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:40:35 pm »
Have your character pick something to make, though. (Me stating the obvious because I can.)
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.