Author Topic: [COMMUNITY] We're Remaking the tutorial so it’s fun and interesting thread  (Read 2882 times)

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
I will only add one thing: we've revised all practice and experience scripts to make sure *almost* every skill can be equally trained at the same speed. This will make some of them easier to train than before (and hopefully will remove some grinding as well in the process). Also experience gained by practicing a given skill will give enough PPs to train its next level. This was already true with some of them but now we polished the system extending it to most skills.
These changes took a lot of time but we hope it will make it easier for new players to train some skills.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Just a note on my progress.  One of the purposes of the tutorial is to point you in the right direction to get started in quests.  In particular, the "intro" quests.  I have updated most of those, adding some additional Q & A, particularly for Introduction to Crafting and Introduction to Science.

Consequently, a big part of that is how quests are chained.  So this has been a good opportunity to start the restructuring of quest chains, which has been a goal of mine for years.  Crafting has gotten the biggest change, with branches for each crafting area (mining, metal working, blades, armor, and general crafting quests).  In the intro quest, Harnquist will now explain how and where to get started in each craft.  I've also redone science, arts, and seeds of wildwood.  And changing the order of the quests is no good without dialog to properly direct you, so I am working on that now.

So it's a huge project but I'm making good progress.  I'll get as much of this done by the time the tutorial is released, but it will be ongoing.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
 \\o//   \\o//   \\o//
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
I look a quick look. Here are some first impressions:

* It looks nice - like you are walking through a street market.

* I like the fact that Abelia does not shout at you like a desperate car salesman the moment you arrive. You have some time to look around before getting messages in the NPC tab about Abelia being the starting point.

* Silaces greeted me. This is a very nice touch, however it would be better if she could respond to some basic things that a newbie might say... like:

Hi
Hello
I'm new
Who are you
Where am I?
I am MegaCthuluzon Prime, twisted guardian of the eight dimension and personal saviour of deformed puppies and three eyed kittens.

Even a blanket answer that pre-emptively answers a few questions might be better than "This npc has no quest for you but may be able to answer other questions"

If she is going to greet noobs, then why not make her offer a very basic quest?  Just something to think about.

bilbous

I was annoyed by her greets every time she walked by. I didn't even try to engage with her. I did not see a need for her at all.

Now that i think on it the tutorial world is like a prison and she is the one keeping the trustees (the NPCs offering quests) in line, the players being the prisoners getting released into the real world. I'm sure it is just a passing conceit on my part and nobody else would think that without prompting. :)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Now the tutorial is released can all comments please go here [COMMUNITY] Now we've made a new tutorial, what do you think?