Author Topic: Mine Indicators  (Read 2084 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Mine Indicators
« on: December 12, 2016, 10:45:14 pm »
Could mines get a few items placed around them to indicate that they are mines? While exploration is a hallmark of MMOs, the days of people wanting to spend all day pursuing a single task are waning. Fewer players will want to have to /dig across a whole map to find a mine. Also, many people like to be autonomous early on in the game then ease into social interaction. A lot of people may be too shy to ask for locations in game, at first. I think a little accommodation might help to retain these kinds of players.

Something like pickaxes; a tiny (individual person sized) mining camp; or maybe a miner corpse or two, around the more dangerous mines, could help players to find where the mines are faster without putting out a blazing "Gold Mine Here" sign.

I think Planeshift should work towards making itself more friendly for new players coming from commercial MMOs where more of these kinds things are done. I don't think PS should do exactly like commercial MMOs, but I think some nods to what those players are accustomed to should be made.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Indicators
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 11:39:29 pm »
Maybe for iron or coal, but there are quests that show where some of the mines are . ie. copper, tin and zinc if I remember correctly.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:30:05 am »
Some slight sparkle effect was already in discussion, long ago... but remains of broken equipment may also look quite credible.

I believe all of your similar proposals would belong best to the Wish List, after all.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:33:24 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sirial

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:28:33 am »
Maybe for iron or coal, but there are quests that show where some of the mines are . ie. copper, tin and zinc if I remember correctly.

There are quests for almost every mining resource, the only needed thing is to find them.  ;D
Aniroho Aimirrel (Researcher in Knowledge Seekers)
Terelen Honoro (Captain of the Iron Claw)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:40:36 am »
When I started as a prospect and then Dev I very much though with the POV that 'In Character-ness' was more important than 'playability'. Over the years working with players and Devs on implementing things this view has basically totally swapped, but there are limits to what I'd do if to break immersion too much.

This idea would greatly increase the ability for a player to find a mine on a map themselves so I would be happy to trial something. I have been working on developing some droppable effects, after the next update I will drop a rock pick and effect at some mines some of you guys can then tell me if you think it works as a mine marker well.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:16:07 am »
When I started as a prospect and then Dev I very much though with the POV that 'In Character-ness' was more important than 'playability'. Over the years working with players and Devs on implementing things this view has basically totally swapped, but there are limits to what I'd do if to break immersion too much.

This idea would greatly increase the ability for a player to find a mine on a map themselves so I would be happy to trial something. I have been working on developing some droppable effects, after the next update I will drop a rock pick and effect at some mines some of you guys can then tell me if you think it works as a mine marker well.

We could do the same things we do for harvesting: the server has the ability to spawn a few items in the mining zone. For mining areas this capability is disabled for reasons Venalan has explained very well. However I can't see why not make them more visible; we could spawn 1 or 2 ores just to point out the mining place, this without even relying on special effects (or a slight special effect could be added to the ore items itself).

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:43:01 am »
I'd totally forgotten about that feature. That would certainly work and we wouldn't need to add anything else.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:47:18 am »
I'd totally forgotten about that feature. That would certainly work and we wouldn't need to add anything else.

Ok, I will work on it. No promise it will make it for the coming update (few days) but it won't certainly take a lot of time.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 09:49:11 am »
I think Illysia has played too much WoW...

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 09:56:01 am »

There are quests for almost every mining resource, the only needed thing is to find them.  ;D

True, but like was shown in the review, you can't just start those quests right away.

If you don't mind showing exactly what kind of mine each one is then spawning ore is great.

However, I've never played WoW Avocado, I just know that most MMO players, which PS needs to attract, are accustomed to far more obvious indicators than PS usually gives.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 09:57:52 am by Illysia »

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 10:53:23 am »
I've always been in favor of better signage.  Actual signs, not those sign-posts you have to click on.  A nice little banner over the arena tunnel stating "Hydlaa Arena {arrow}".  But maybe that's just me.

Again, such things would be map art and that's not likely to be added any time soon.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 11:07:33 am »
Is it just an art issue?

Sirial

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 11:08:59 am »
I've always been in favor of better signage.  Actual signs, not those sign-posts you have to click on.  A nice little banner over the arena tunnel stating "Hydlaa Arena {arrow}".  But maybe that's just me.

Again, such things would be map art and that's not likely to be added any time soon.

Wait isn't the Arena a place to get lost and run around forever before finding the exit? This is a surprise!  ;D

Jokes apart i'd be very happy to see a something telling how to reach the tunnel leading to Hydlaa from the central room.
Aniroho Aimirrel (Researcher in Knowledge Seekers)
Terelen Honoro (Captain of the Iron Claw)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 11:23:22 am »
Is it just an art issue?

Art and the decision that it's ok to do so.  Maybe a long time ago someone decided it was better to have signposts one has to click on.  *shrug*
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 11:31:38 am »
Having one sign post as an item is far easier and more flexible and easier than fixed map art, would be my guess. Though for things like the area fixed art would be good. We actually have plans for additions to the arena which should make it (at least a little) easier to get around.