Author Topic: AFK Indicator  (Read 327 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
AFK Indicator
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:14:32 pm »
Could some kind of a visual indicator be added to characters that have not moved, posted to chat, or interacted with a tool or container for a long time, maybe and hour or so?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: AFK Indicator
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:28:53 am »
Something like (the 'zZ')? Or possibly rather an effect like slowly popping dream bubbles.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:37:33 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 02:50:45 am »
There is an /afk feature you can use in game. But that only works to send an auto response to players who send you a tell.

I don't think the idea is to encourage people to log on and go AFK for over and hour.
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 02:57:06 am »
No, the idea is not to discourage the newcomers trying to talk to an AFK character and waiting for hours for a reply, or not to discourage a slow typer because impatient people run away before the reply was sent.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:28:09 am »
(I'm using this standard response today) This would fall into to the realm of nice ideas which need server and client work so can't be done now. Things like this would be nice once we get into UE4.

I think it would be nice to have some indicator a player is unlikely to respond to you, an afk tag by the name would be a way I like.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:27:58 am »
some games do even better ... they kick you from the server after you've been inactive for some minutes  ;D

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 08:25:02 am »
Something like (the 'zZ')? Or possibly rather an effect like slowly popping dream bubbles.

Well i would say that the indicator should be far more neutral than . It implicates too much that the char is sleeping. Just my two trias.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:00:03 am »
I like the idea of maybe graying out the name or something but if this is something that needs to go in UE4 then alright.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 10:22:35 am »
I'm in favor of either changing the label color or maybe making it italics.  This can be triggered by the player OR by being idle for a specified period.  Of course, there are those that prefer to play without labels displayed.

Like Venalan said, it would require a code & client update so not likely to be done any time soon.  Might be one to add to the UE4 demo wish list.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 01:23:30 pm »
Be careful what you wish for... This would also allow GM's to spot AFK trainers easier ;-)
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »
So in the future AFK trainers are able to mark they are away? Excactly the feature i need!  :whistling: