Author Topic: Dev Q&A 23/10/2017  (Read 560 times)

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
Dev Q&A 23/10/2017
« on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:03 am »
Attendees from the team:

Talad (Leader/Founder)
Mordaan (Settings)
Uadjet (GM Team)
Emaline (GM Team)

Migg says: What a cute little gtoffel!
Damola giggles slightly at the small, cute Emaline game master
Dilihin says: Heyt
Dilihin says: Afk
Mordaan says:  I've poked Talad, not sure if he's available or not.
Mordaan says:  Otherwise, I suppose we can get started.
Mordaan says:  Any questions, you can line up...most of you have attended meet the devs, you know the drill. :)
Damola says: Hi. I have several related questions, but I will start with one…
Mordaan says:  Hi
Emaline says:  Go right ahead Damola
Mordaan says:  Hi Damola, go ahead
Damola says: … I am coordinating the Stonehead Tavern team and we decided to go by donations. Now… some guests are quite generous. But were to store all the tria? No container I have tried allows me to store tria inside. Not even a jewelry box. And for our guild bank I have other uses as well.
Emaline says:  Tria being placed inside a container is something I'd have to bring up with a dev to see what those posibilites are.
Emaline says:  How possible that would be or how hard it would be.
Mordaan says:  Yeah, the only banking is either individual or guild.
Mordaan says:  As to physically keeping it in game, sounds...risky.
Migg says: still tria in a container can be stolen as easily as without
Damola says: We sure can RP around that limitation, but it would add to the immersion and realism to actually be able to store tria without adding to the lag by hiding stacks of circles behind a potted plant
Emaline says:  Can just keep a book logged with the donations and which char has them, like bookeeping?
Mordaan says:  You may just have to keep it personally and have trust the treasurer.
Migg says: there are some doors in the stonehead, could one of these be turned to a portal leading to a guildhouse?
Mordaan says:  *just trust
Mordaan says:  Yes, there is a pantry there
Migg says: then it could be locked and used for storage
Emaline says:  there is a pantry already there Migg for that.
Migg says: ah
Migg says: is it lockable?
Mordaan says:  yes
Damola says: Sure we can and for now we may do something like that… still it would be nice to have at some point to be able to store tria. Yes, there is a risk, but its also realistic. Ideally one could have a jewelry box with a key, but box without one would do as well, especially in a room that is guarded by a guild house ock
Damola says: *lock
Mordaan says:  Do you have access to the pantry?
Emaline says:  there is no one behind you Damola so go ahead with your next qusetion
Emaline says:  She does.
Mordaan says:  k
Damola looks behind her
Damola shrugs and starts with the next question
Mordaan says:  Rare occasion, you don't have to requeue. :)
Damola says: Well, the next one is related to that: Economy is kinda broke in PS. Damola doesn´t know where to store her tria and many other chars I bet are stacking millions of tria easily. So I like that there is plenty and I won´t vote to totally go into scarcity, but right now regarding earning and spending tria there is no real balance in game.
Damola says: *not store, but what to buy with her tria
Mordaan says:  True, there has been some conceptual discussions, but nothing has been decided on it.
Damola nods "I bet the topic has been brought up before"
Mordaan says:  Maybe when eonwind gets back, we can start a conversation on ideas.
Talad says:  Hi
Talad says:  sorry for the delay
Damola says: For Stonehead Tavern I have the idea that Belcor may ask for a rent of some kind *hint* *hint* [We could sort something like that out Emaline]
Karmilla says: I think you should charge for engravings and name changes
Mordaan says:  The change in training threw everything out of whack.
Emaline says:  Thats a great idea
Gonger says: What about paying some money for using the smithy, for example? Right now everything is running there just like that.
Damola says: Talad, current question is: Well, the next one is related to that: Economy is kinda broke in PS. Damola doesn´t know what to buy with her tria and many other chars I bet are stacking millions of tria easily. So I like that there is plenty and I won´t vote to totally go into scarcity, but right now regarding earning and spending tria there is no real balance in game.
Ossifus says:  We do charge for engravings, but not a lot. Players who've been around a while won't even notice the cost.
Ossifus says:  We dont' want it to be so expensie that new players can't afford it though.
Emaline says:  I think a lot just RP the amount they actually have
Mordaan says:  It's a big conversation that will involve some thought and a good plan.
Migg says: people who are not maxed don't assimilate tria easily
Ossifus says:  Oh, and I'm Uadjet, for those who don't know. Came right from the market.
Damola says: That may be an idea. RPing an amount.
Migg says: Gender chande...
Migg says: *change
Mordaan says:  Disguise
Karmilla says: But some things have to be expensive, or no point. People should have to save up for an engraving.
Mordaan says:  an incredibly good disguise. :P
Migg says: fooled me ;)
Damola says: Still some kind of expenses and realism might be nice there. You said… Eonwind be better part of the discussion, so I am willing to hand to the next one.
Emaline says:  Hello Aeghiss go ahead
Aeghiss says: So here is a simple question about contributing.
Aeghiss says: Would it be possible to have a to-do list displayed on the official website so that people willing to contribute know what the devs would like most ?
Emaline looks at Talad
Mordaan says:  Sure, that's a good idea. It may even be a good idea for the devs to compile such a list...for our own sake.
Aeghiss says: I've got feedback that there are way more people willing to help than it appears at first glance but most seem not to do anything for the sole reason they are clueless about what to do.
Emaline says:  ^
Aeghiss says: (whoops sorry Emaline)
Emaline says:  it's okay I think everyone knows I was agreeing with Mordaan
Damola nods "I think it could lower entry barrier for new contributors. Maybe even a list of junior jobs for newcomers."
Talad says:  at the moment the todo is mostly Unreal Engine related
Talad says:  for current PS version, the tasks are new quests and bosses mostly
Talad says:  also we want to work on a main plot
Damola says: There could also be content todos. As… well Unreal Engine will take a time and fresh content can help to keep the current codebase alive and can be taken over to unreal then.
Talad says:  to connect all quests and events in history
Talad says:  Mordaan and Venalan are working on this
Talad says:  its a fairly large project as it involved changes to some of the quests
Talad says:  and new ones
Talad says:  but I think it will be very beneficial at the end
Aeghiss says: That's good to hear.
Talad says:  as it will show to the players why they are in Yliakum
Emaline says:  Sorry guys, gotta bounce, keep asking your questions! Even if you don't get an answer here I'll post the logs on the forums for discussion and try and poke the right devs to get the answers ( I won't forget to post this time-oops!)
Talad says:  and how they arrived
Ossifus says:  There are items without models. Food and armor items, for example.
Talad says:  3d models are always welcome to fill in the placeholders
Talad says:  also we can easily reuse those in Unreal Engine
Talad says:  as those are simple models
Ossifus says:  There we go.
Mordaan says:  heh
Damola giggles "A GM dropping a GM… crazy world of Yliakum."
Migg says: meta-GMing
Gonger says: Greetings to all!
Gonger says: Speaking of the PS website, on the starting page the Bug Tracker Updates have not changed since 07.08.2016. This could give a very bad first impression to people visiting the website. So what would it take to be more up-to-date there?
Mordaan says:  hmm, good spot. I didn't notice that.
Mordaan says:  We'll have to look into fixing that.
Gonger says: Thanks!
Damola says: I also have a question about the website. I also have a kind of preliminary announcement.
Talad says:  I will take a look
Dilihin says: back
Damola says: The forum. Its still on an IP address. Since a long time already. Any time frame to put it back onto a real domain?
Mordaan says:  I have it on hydlaaplaza.com
Damola says: Ah, then the link on planeshift.it is not up to date
Talad says:  andrew was supposed to send me the backup of the forums to move it
Migg says: lots of internal links still point to the IP
Talad says:  but he didnt yet
Talad says:  I will remind him
Talad says:  we need to move the forums somewhere else
Damola says: planeshift.it/Forum links to IP address
Damola nods
Damola says: Okay.
Talad says:  that server is not reliable and not fully managed by us
Mordaan says:  this has worked out...these are mostly questions for Talad. :)
Damola says: As to the announcement. There is a change in sponsoring. The CEOs of the company I work for sold it to a larger company. It is called Proact Deutschland GmbH. The good news is: We continue the sponsoring. As a next step I will provide new company logos. There may be a domain change for the server at some point, but this may take a while for us to sort out a name.
Talad says:  We are very grateful of the sponsorship
Mordaan nods
Talad says:  also on the fact it continues
Gonger says: Good news, indeed.
Talad says:  so we dont have to redo all documents and trust new people
Damola says: At some point I may ask you for a kind of announcement of the company name change. I will coordinate this with our marketing team. It has been extremely busy.
Damola says: So I think for the next steps just the logo change.
Talad says:  sure
Damola nods
Damola says: I am also happy we continue the sponsoring.
Dilihin says: uih, what i missed?
Damola says: Well there is a mistake there: Our company is now called Proact Deutschland GmbH. Our new mother company is located in Sweden.
Mordaan says:  Questions about the Stonehead and storing tria, a master to-do list for prospects, and some issues about the website.
Mordaan says:  And overall economic balance.
Damola says: Jup.
Dilihin says: in game economic balance i take it?
Mordaan says:  yes
Damola says: yep
Dilihin says: right
Damola says: Any news of devs?
Aeghiss says: If there are no more questions I have a few thoughts which may be worth being discussed here. It's more of feedback and ideas than questions, though.
Mordaan says:  sure, Aeghiss the floor is open
Aeghiss says: Well, it's still about interactions between the dev team and the community.
Aeghiss says: I don't think a game made by non-professional devs can advance without active participation of the community. Unfortunately PS' history seem to validate this.
Aeghiss says: And, the fact is, devs meetings aside it's complicated for the community to interact with you.
Aeghiss says: This is no blaming, uh.
Weruun raises a brow
Damola says: What do you suggest, Aeghiss?
Aeghiss says: I think that trying new ways of communication and not settling for IRC and the devs meeting could help PS progress.
Aeghiss says: Things like Slack, for example.
Mordaan says:  Sure, we can be open to new ways of commnication.
Damola looks doubtful "I don´t think a new chat system would solve much."
Aeghiss says: I think it could make the devs more reachable to players and thus encourage them to actively get involved in PS
Mordaan says:  What we can use, is a PR department, which has been missing for years. That includes anything about relating PS to the community.
Dilihin says: I don't know, IMO irc is most reachable as it is but wouldn't hurt i guess
Mordaan says:  or at least 1 dev dedicated to that.
Aeghiss says: @Damola : IRC has a great flaw : it has no history, and thus players can't interact with the devs if they aren't both before their computers at the same time.
Mordaan says:  step 1, get a dev dedicated to that. :)
Mordaan says:  Want to volunteer, Aeghiss?
Aeghiss says: @Mordaan : Can you explain PR please ? I'm no native and I doubt I'm the only one who didn't understand that.
Mordaan says:  public relations
Dilihin says: Mordaan i can volunteer
Mordaan says:  just that, getting PS out into the world and keeping it there, as well as anything to do with the relationship between PS and the community.
Mordaan says:  Another example would be moderating the forums.
Mordaan says:  so things like that
Dilihin says: @mordaan i do have few ideas related to these i might suggest later.
Aeghiss says: Well, I am more busy than I had thought I'd be before my year started, but I guess it would still be better than nobody. If Dihilin is more available I'll leave him the seat though.
Dilihin says: or maybe Aeghiss working on it together? ;)
Mordaan says:  Yes, was just typing that.
Aeghiss says: Well, why not.
Dilihin says: less stress for both,eh?
Aeghiss says: Surely. ^^
Talad says:  I read the discussion, but I dont see the suggestion of what to use instead of IRC and meetings
Talad says:  what are you suggesting?
Aeghiss says: Not necessarily instead.
Talad says:  IRC has history anyway if you are logged in
Aeghiss says: Especially I don't want to replace the meetings which are something great imo.
Talad says:  you can enable logs and it will write all logs to files
Dilihin says: most clients even have logs as default on
Dilihin says: *many not most
Migg says: IRC is an old protocol and clients are available on most anything
Damola is concerned that adding another chat system would just split the community. "There are already people on discord."
Aeghiss says: It's not that I want to criticize your choices, but... Don't you think IRC is a bit rusty ? It's almost 30 years old and it didn't change much.
Damola says: So one key aspect of a new chat system would be that it has an IRC bridge if you ask me.
Dilihin says: I actually would want to say that we shouldn't get arried away with this since this can easily escalate to big,long conversation
Mordaan says:  It's like anything, we can experiment and if it takes then great. If not, it was still worth a try.
Damola says: Well dev q&a is coming to an end anyway.
Dilihin says: but i just say that people have different needs, for example i myself only use irc actively so
Dilihin says: also concerning splitting the community, worry not.
Damola has always on IRC using quasselcore server
Dilihin says: we can try bridgeing but i won't comment on it for now so
Aeghiss says: About IRC, I especially think contributors would take advantage of something more suitable for teamwork.
Mordaan says:  Food for thought, and I like the idea of having someone to take on things like this.
Aeghiss nods
Dilihin says: Yeah
Mordaan says:  Like I said, it's a role we used to have that has been vacant for years. And it's probably among the reasons overall visibility of PS has fallen off.
Aeghiss says: Sounds logical.
Dilihin says: Indeed
Dilihin says: Maybe we should discuss in more detail after the meet, no?
Aeghiss says: Sure
Mordaan says:  yeah
Mordaan says:  If there are no other questions, our time is up. Thanks for attending!
Weruun says: Thank you!
Mordaan says:  once again, good questions
Dilihin says: Indeed, indeed
Migg says: Thank you all, bye!
Karmilla says: Bye all
Talad says:  bye
Edico says: Bye Karmilla
Gonger says: Aeghiss, Dilihin, are you still there?
Dilihin says: yes
Dilihin says: Need something?
Gonger says: Well, you mentioned further discussion of PR work.
Dilihin says: Indeed
Gonger says: It is something I am also interested in, and I planned to volunteer for the team as soon as I have some RL trouble sorted out. Which took / takes me longer than I hoped, unfortunately.
Dilihin says: I see
Dilihin says: we are having some discussion about it, feel free to join #planeshift-prospects on freenode
Dilihin says: actually my ideas doesn't only limit to PR, but this would be very very long conversation so not starting it right now.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:58:34 am by Emaline »
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Q&A 10/23/2017
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:29:35 pm »
I have but a simple request. Given how these forums are international, could you please use an international date format? Like DD/MM/YYYY? Or DD/Mon/YYYY? It's intuitive with dates such as 10/23, but what happens when it's 06/07? Is it 7th of June? 6th of July?

Thanks for sharing these. It's neat to keep them at hand and know what has been said and asked before to avoid repeating ourselves.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Emaline

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Game Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Q&A 23/10/2017
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:06:26 am »
I have but a simple request. Given how these forums are international, could you please use an international date format? Like DD/MM/YYYY? Or DD/Mon/YYYY? It's intuitive with dates such as 10/23, but what happens when it's 06/07? Is it 7th of June? 6th of July?

Thanks for sharing these. It's neat to keep them at hand and know what has been said and asked before to avoid repeating ourselves.
It would be the 7th of June cause all of the other dates would have been month/day/year.
But I changed it. 
Although the way you requested is not, in fact, the international way to write the date, but simply the European way to write it. ;)

Since 1996-05-01, the international format yyyy-mm-dd has become the official standard date format, but the handwritten form d. 'month name' yyyy is also accepted.
I'm very responsible, whenever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Any Event idea find us on IRC #ps-event
Problem Ingame use IRC: #Planeshift-gmtalk

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Q&A 23/10/2017
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »
By the way, the issue of the bug tracker pane on the main page not updating has been resolved.  Thanks to Talad.
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.