Author Topic: Assassins: The Play and Rejuvenation Thereof  (Read 668 times)

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Assassins: The Play and Rejuvenation Thereof
« on: February 14, 2004, 02:12:21 am »
It has increasingly come to my attention that even people that started playing 6 months ago do not know of the game of Assassins.  For this reason I propose a campaign to bring Assassins back to the people.  Next time you log on, try to form a group of like minded individuals and adventerous newbies to play a game of Assassins.  You can bring Planeshift\'s unofficial sport back into regular play!

What\'s Assassins?
Assassins is a game played by several players in which the goal is to be \"last man standing\".  Play is moderated by a \"game master\" or \"moderator\" that does not participate in play.  The game of Assassins is best played with at least 4 players along with a fifth to particpate as the game master.

Assassins is played as follows:

1) Every participating player searches for a hiding spot.  The criteria for hiding places is determined in advance, but is usually restricted to the city (that is not underground, not beyond the city walls).

2) Players indicate they are hidden and the mod begins randomly telling the partcipants their target (via secret /tell\'s).  The mod can issue targets at their will, but it is best if targets are not mutual (that is, one participant\'s target\'s target should not be the before mentioned participant).

3) Once all targets are issued by the mod, this fact is indicated to the participants.  Usually, participants are told to /greet themselves to show they do not have a prior target.  The mod then indicates the game has begun.

4) Once the game has started, the players begin searching for their target.  In order to eliminate a target, they must be /greet\'ed.  The mod then indicates to the players that a participant has been eliminated and issues a new target to the eliminating player.  Naturally, the eliminated is out of play.  Sometimes eliminated players are asked to head to some designated area so as to prevent confusion on the playing field.

5) The last surviving player wins.

Regulars: If I screwed up the rules of Assassins at all, please tell me and I\'ll remedy the error immediatly.

[edit]
I should mention that I\'m online starting from about Noon EST to some time in the immediate future on most days; and am usually happy to participate in a game.

I suppose this thread could be used to organize games of Assassins, but that would of course cause massive amounts of spam.  Perhaps with a Moderator\'s consent?
[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 12:30:23 pm by Grakrim »
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

Deddarus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 02:23:18 am »
sounds good

plus its something my gamblers guild (when the member count is a little higher) can help to facilitate by being the GM.. especially if bets are involved and the guild can take a cut

eg

10 players - each gives 1 ruby to the GM (one of the AGES guild members.. hopefully you will all learn that you can trust my members with this sorta responsability)

last man standing recieves 9 rubies, guild keeps 1 :)

everybody is happy (sept maybe the losers but hey.. they only loose 1 ruby :D )

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:39:42 am »
no can do...
with the free camera look, giving crystals isn\'t such a safe thing to do...
AKA Skald

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 02:45:26 am »
Indeed, there is far too much potential for cheatery; especially when there are crystals on the line.

The play of Assassins has really always worked on the honor system; you hope your opponents aren\'t using the freelook, but there\'s really no way to know.

Quwaar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 05:03:45 am »
I lost ya at step 2 :P

Ill read it again
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse

Cyrandir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 06:05:35 am »
Draklar: what about /buddy give? works fine and is announced in console so all can see the transaction.

\"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.\"    - Galileo Galilei

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 06:40:44 am »
hmm? no, I mean that someone can camp in one place and use freelook to \"assassinate\" his target. Nasty thing...
and /buddy give ain\'t seen by everyone btw.
as for 2nd point: It means the host  /tell\'s you who is your target and you can assassinate only the one who is your target. It makes funny situations like from my experience: I\'ve met another assassin who wasn\'t my target and there was possibility that I was his. So we just stood there staring at each other hoping there won\'t be /greet :D (I wasn\'t his target as well)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 06:45:32 am by Draklar »
AKA Skald

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 12:45:28 pm »
Second point streamlined, I wrote this thing at least 75% sleep-deprived.  I think I had a \"target target\" thing going on there.

And no, Cyrandir, /buddy give is only visible to the giving and recieving player.  Not to mention that there\'s a particularly nasty bug going around in which you can lose crystals mid-give.

Ah-ha, host! That was the term I was looking for!

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 06:47:02 am »
oh yea, there\'s also team version of assassins game.
In this case you use rules that Grak stated in first posts, but
2) from players that take part in the game two teams are formed. Your targets then are simply all members of enemy team.

5) The team that has only one member left alive - loses (this is to encourage a team play)

Also with this version there\'s smaller possibility that someone will camp in one place waiting for only one enemy to stay alive.

oh right, the ancient way to apply for the game was to /shout \'123\' :P
AKA Skald

shadowkhan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 12:00:11 pm »
I have a bit of an add on for the team assasins. Instead of just two groups, and if only one assasin is left, the team loses, i played a differnt version the other day. U can have multiple groups of just 2. The last team with a member is the winner. Its easier to remember ur partner when there is only one :)
U can accomplish anything with initiative, dedication, and an infinite supply of expendable labor.

jonmack

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 12:43:26 pm »
Aaah, now this is what I\'m talking about! Thanks Grakrim for this more thorough explanation. ( \"Rhogan\" in-game, you kindly explained a few things for me the other day ). So you have to play in first-person mode then? Only you didn\'t mention that in the starting post :) I\'ll look forward to playing this one day...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2004, 12:44:12 pm by jonmack »
jonmack

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2004, 01:13:18 pm »
actually third person is allowed as well...
In first person mode you just... lack some things that assassin should be able to do :P
AKA Skald

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2004, 01:25:07 pm »
Ah, so THAT\'S what brought on last night\'s game...this thread.  I must say, it was fun.

Although, when there are only a few players left, the game can drag on if they happen to be looking for each other on opposite sides of town.

I have to admit I did use camera mode a few times but I only read the rules now.  It didn\'t help anyway.   :)
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 08:56:22 am »
If we have time, we will try to add some direct support in the game for player-driven games like this.  Features for that might include:

- Prize escrow
- Game leader can set the game to not allow free cameras (hacks still possible, unfortunately)
- Giving groups names so they can be used as teams.

What else?

- Vengeance

Deddarus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 10:38:57 am »
things i would find uselfull

1. Player tagging -  this would combine with a party/team system... the player could be tagged by the game hoster for easy identification (might be an [out] tag or summin)

2. Secure trading window - this idea is kinda ripped from UO but.... drop an item onto a player = window opens with 2 halves + 2 checkboxes.. player 1 puts items in 1 half, player 2 in the other.. then when both happy they both click the checkbox and the items are traded

3. cards - im assuming it would be a simple script to randomly generate a card from a 52 card deck (if at this stage we cant get it so that the same card cant be drawn twice in the same game im sure players could just ignore duplicates)

4. betting slips