Author Topic: Lost some items -- will I be barred from some quests as a result?  (Read 511 times)

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
From the beginning: I spoke to an NPC who said they had something really heavy they needed transported. I could just barely lift that weight, so I went somewhere to hide my inventory. I finished the quest, went to pick up my inventory but it was gone -- apparently I didn't hide it well enough, or rather I probably should have used an alt.

I was aware of the possibility, which is why I kept the things I considered irreplaceable with me -- my crafting recipes. Other non-purchasable items brought me over my limit and weren't central to my character -- glyphs, a certain ancient sword, a certain note i got as a quest reward.

My question is, will not having these in my inventory hinder me in acquiring quests? I don't mean not being able to finish a quest because I needed an item which was a previous quest reward, but not being given a quest because I did not have a particular item on me. I already figured that certain quests are pre-requisites to others (even not from the same NPC), but I read a thread somewhere that suggested even the presence of certain items might be significant.

Could someone in the know comment on the issue, and if it's true, is there anything I can do to un-block myself?

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Re: Lost some items -- will I be barred from some quests as a result?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 03:12:46 am »
Nope, there's no such thing as "special item needed". But it's true that some quest rewards are needed in later quests as prerequisites.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22:03 am »
You could make an alt, and run the quests to get the "quest items" that you lost.

That is the only way that I can think of to make sure you don't have problems with quests in the future.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 04:38:16 am »
Hello,

is it now safe to leave items on the ground? That is, no upgrade, shutdown, crash, instance and map will make items getting lost?

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Mythryndel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 11:28:43 am »
I cannot say for certain, but I was truly shocked the other day when the server crashed (back up in under 5 minutes), and my items I had dropped were still on the ground when I relogged. This was the first time I had ever seen a crash/reboot of the server NOT wipe all dynamic data. It was very nice!!

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 02:40:26 pm »
Nope, there's no such thing as "special item needed". But it's true that some quest rewards are needed in later quests as prerequisites.

That's good to know Thom, thanks for the info. Would getting those quest items back via an alt work, or are those items "keyed" to the char they were originally given to?

Peanuts

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:47:08 pm »
is it now safe to leave items on the ground? That is, no upgrade, shutdown, crash, instance and map will make items getting lost?

I think it might be generally safe in the sense you're talking about, but it's not a great idea anyway.   Players with slower connections can have crippling lag if someone leaves a pile of junk near them, unless I'm mistaken.  Also, other players may pick abandoned items up.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 04:17:21 pm »

I think it might be generally safe in the sense you're talking about, but it's not a great idea anyway.   Players with slower connections can have crippling lag if someone leaves a pile of junk near them, unless I'm mistaken.  Also, other players may pick abandoned items up.

Yes, good thoughts.
I also hope(d) for some dev or similar to tell if they know something definitive. By trial and error I'd say it's safe (though my experience is mostly within guild house) but it would be nice to hear if someone really knows something about this.

Thank you nevertheless for your reply Peanuts.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!