Author Topic: Really slow movement going down steep slopes  (Read 491 times)

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Really slow movement going down steep slopes
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:06:03 pm »
Hope this is in the right place....

A lot of the steep slopes in the game slow my character to a crawl when going down them. Going up them is impossible, since they're too steep. But going down, the animation switches to walking (even if I had run on at the time), and the actual movement speed is even slower than that. Reaching the end of the steep portion where my character then resumes moving normally I receive a health hit as if I had fallen the vertical height of the segment. Which makes sense, since my character should be falling down these segments. I don't mind the damage, but is there anything I can do to my client to fix the issue? I've searched the forums and the bugtracker and my search isn't pulling anything so I wonder if this is isolated to my client.

Mac OSX client, Intel MacBook Pro, OS 10.4

Ralleyon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Protector in the Survivors of Vaern
    • View Profile
Re: Really slow movement going down steep slopes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:35:25 pm »
I have seen this behaviour under Linux and Windows (XP/Vista) so it's not an OS issue. This might be intentional, because of the code which handles "stuck" characters in walls and other things.

Before this was implemented, when you went down a steep slope you had a much bigger chance to fall and die from that fall. Strangely enough, I think the current system makes sense. If you go down a steep slope, would you run like mad and break your neck, or walk very very slowly?
To see the world in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

[William Blake - Auguries of Innocence]

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:47:17 pm »
If you go down a steep slope, would you run like mad and break your neck, or walk very very slowly?

Except I'm walking very very slowly and still getting my neck broken ;) The thing is that I'm still taking the same damage as if I had taken the full fall, so if it's to prevent death by falling it's not working. If the code's to improve stuck behavior then I can't say anything about that, since I only remember SB (I had a character under CB but only played that, probably a total of 1 hour)

Prolix

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:15:59 pm »
it is a consequence of traversing invalid ground.You get the same effect walking along a cliff from left to right or even on an angle upwards in some places. The damage you take is directly proportional to what you would take free-falling the same vertical distance. If it is short you take no damage, if you end up on higher ground you take no damage.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:18:40 am »
A while ago, you would easily fall to your death, even on not so steep slopes, such as the stairs in hydlaa. When that was changed, you would just get stuck on anything steep. More recently, this was changed again to let you slightly move in places where you would previously get stuck (and /unstick did not help, as you were in a steep slope). Unfortunately there were some errors in computing vertical movement, which result in you getting damaged anyway. I cannot find the bug report right away, but I know that several things are fixed for this, and should be available in the next release.