Author Topic: make stats (str, agi, etc) a prereq for skill training  (Read 271 times)

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
make stats (str, agi, etc) a prereq for skill training
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:43:22 pm »
Seems like an "obvious" suggestion, but couldn't find it on search, so here goes.

I think that each level for each skill should have stat level prerequisites to be able to get training from an NPC, which go up as skill levels do. For example, you should need more strength to learn the more advanced techniques of axe combat. Even just learning advanced dagger handling should require high agility, otherwise you can't even practice those skills. When you try to train without the prerequisite skill, the trainer would say something like, "Well, I can teach it, but you don't look like you have the dexterity needed for these advanced lessons. Come back a little later, when you're more agile."

Some skills would require a combination of stats: swords would be a medium-dexterity and -strength skill, for example, and blacksmith requires agility (to control the hammer blows) and intelligence (to determine where to strike with the hammer); you don't really need strength, you can compensate with more hammering.

I don't know any details of how the skills system is coded so I don't know how much extra complexity this would be for the coding team, but I think it would bring another level of complexity and (I hope) interest to the skills progression system.

sgtkwol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: make stats (str, agi, etc) a prereq for skill training
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:41:40 pm »
The coding for implementing this could be fairly complex.  But, I see another issue.  Unless the skills trainers are sending you to the stat trainer (giving a name and general location) to get training, it could become too complex for the player to understand.