Author Topic: Traininig in metallurgy.  (Read 949 times)

yoredensano

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Traininig in metallurgy.
« on: May 05, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »
Hello everybody.

Yesterday, iĀ“ve reached level 30 in metallurgy, and i thought i could already smelt some gold ore into stocks, but i cannot do it still.

Well, this is not the real problem i wish to explain here. The real problem comes when i go to the NPC trainer, i buy skill to gain a new level, i go mining some copper and some tin, and what a surprise!!! When i go to the furnace and the stock casting, i see i cannot gain any metallurgy points melting bronze.

I donĀ“t know if this is a bug for me and i have choose to write it in the wrong forum, if not, i donĀ“t understand why i cannot continue on training with bronze, as when i kill rats, i gain training in sword and in armor, or i gain Crystal way points whenever i cast a 3 realm spell or a realm 1 spell.

If anybody can help me with this iĀ“ll be very grateful.Just let me know your experience with that.

Thanks a lot.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Traininig in metallurgy.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »
For Met you have to work with more difficult metals in order to keep getting practice. Cooking is like this also. As you get to higher levels in Met you have to work with more difficult to work with metals to keep getting practice in Met.

sgtkwol

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:36:09 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a certain metal learned at level 5 keep gaining all the way to 50+?  I didn't want a spoiler, if it's fine to post what the metal is, I will edit and change it.

Bragan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 01:17:54 am »
Not that I've found, though I certainly haven't tried all those metals. But I haven't found any metals that allow you to continue improving indefinitely. Mine something that's just slightly less valuable than gold, and practice on that until you can smelt gold.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:27:32 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a certain metal learned at level 5 keep gaining all the way to 50+?  I didn't want a spoiler, if it's fine to post what the metal is, I will edit and change it.

no, there are several "levels" of materials. once you mastered one material class, you have to proceed with the next and don't gain any practice for continuing working on the former

and as Bragan mentioned: you practically cannot train indefinitely as you'll have mastered all materials at some point

mudd

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:46:43 pm »
you don't get skill in melting it. you get it in casting the metal

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:42:40 pm »
I honestly think it is rather stupid... you have not 'mastered' it, as at level 30 you cannot master bronze, by mading a 300Q stock, or ingot. I think that once you have made a 300Q of something then you cannot go any higher with that metal unless you are below a certain level. To prevent a bug in which someone randomly made a 300Q Iron ingot at level 1 they can still carry on till level 5 so they have another metal to work with. I think it is fair, and makes more sense then just some random level in which someone could of only made less than a 120Q which is definatly not mastering anything, in my own opinion.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:02 am »
I believe that steel should be the most difficult to master. That and other alloys. Silver and gold are pieces of cake.
I also believe that high quality should only be reached at high level, for any metal (keeping some more difficult than others though).

What would be good is a game process that would let the players take risks for rewards, i.e. produce standard quality metals by default, but allow people to try making higher quality stocks, significantly increasing the required time and the chances of wasting the minerals.

Same thought for all crafts, btw.

Vieg

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 08:54:03 pm »
I don't do metallurgy but it is pretty stupid at the moment, I think if the devs want PS to be 'realistic' then they are just going to annoy people, the devs need to look at other games and steal their ideas to create PlaneShift, and so that PlaneShift won't be a game that annoys and wastes everyone's time but be a really enjoyable realistic and fun game.

Boaal

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:39 am »
Games and 'realism' are not to be in the same room together.

Games and 'believability' are.

Believability is key.

Realism is destructive.