Author Topic: Oh the stickiness  (Read 493 times)

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
Oh the stickiness
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:27:18 am »
I can fight Ulbers and jump from dizzying heights... but god help me if I accidently run into a wall. :P

Here's the problem. Right I know in the previous versions of planeshift getting stuck was an annoying occurance that happened every so often. But with the new version its become a way of life. Before, if a slope was too steep to climb, I would hop harmless up and down at its base... now... I get stuck. I fall off a flight of stairs and smack into a wall before I hit the ground... I get stuck. I a slightly nick a slanted wall while running in the dungeons... I get stuck.

But my main problem is that /unstick doesn't always work. Once I was on the way to the bronze door region when I hit a hill that was slightly too steep, I get hooked and travel along the slope untill I can't move anymore, I type /unstick and I get transported another spot in the same wall and I'm still stuck. /unstick becomes useless, I /die and have to start from Oja again.

My question... is this a big issue or can it be solved in the next version or maybe update?

Nilrem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Oh the stickiness
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:32:57 am »
The only thing I can tell you is this is under investigation:

http://www.hydlaa.com/bugtracker/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2284&pos=18

Although not a certainty, I would bet that this would be solved for the next version, and if not, its effects not as big as now.
Are there any MoonSeekers left?

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:52 am »
Yup,  noticed that too, that /unstick often fails lately. But often /die-ing can be avoided by hitting sit/unsit or autorun/un-autorun. :sweatdrop:

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:57:57 am »
Yes, especially the /unstick not always working is very annoying. It seems to occur mostly when you slide over a dangerous area, when you finally get stuck /unstick will only reset you to another piece of the dangerous area. I did get stuck in a tree once, so I got stuck immediately, and I couldn't do anything. I had to kill myself.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:09 pm »
There is something to remember about the /unstick command. It doesn't do any magic, it just moves you back to the last saved position. The position is saved on the server once every 10 meters, so there is a possibility that the last saved position is already bad, or you moved too far that the last position doesn't help you either.

When you see that you may get stuck, use the /unstick command as soon as possible. Don't wait until you have moved too long distances along the hillside (happend to me too) and never logout when stuck or you won't have any saved positions for the /unstick command to work.
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"