Poll

Which aspect of the game do you feel needs the most attention?

Graphics (models, textures, animation etc.)
Sound / Music
Settings (Storyline, quests etc.)
Mechanics (Training, Crafting, Combat etc.)
World exansion (maps, items etc.)
Other

Author Topic: PS SkunkWorks Project 01  (Read 5399 times)

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
PS SkunkWorks Project 01
« on: October 24, 2010, 05:20:08 pm »

The PlaneShift SkunkWorks department is off to a good start. I have great faith in the team that has come together already. We had our first meeting on Wednesday out of that meeting sprung our first project.

Phase 1 of the project is to identify a problem area. We would therefore like to ask you to vote on the poll above so that we can start our research as soon as possible.

As a suggestion, the SkunkWorks team believe that we should focus on the mechanics and the engine for our first project, as this appears to be causing the most grief at the moment. If you do not agree, it would be helpful if you could specify the reasons behind your vote. This will only help in finding solutions to the problems.

As an alternative way to gather information, I have set up a survey on our website. Please fill it in if you have the time.

It's time for players to have their say as to how PlaneShift is developed. Please, use this opportunity and help us take PlaneShift into a brighter future.

- Eliseth

Please have a look at our website for details and updates on our progress. The SkunkWorks team will do their best to stay open and transparent.
https://sites.google.com/site/planeshiftskunkworks/home

If you would like to join us, please go to the recruitment thread for details on how to apply.
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=38274.0

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PS SkunkWorks Project 01
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 07:38:44 pm »
character models... pleeeeeeeeeease!

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:52 pm »
I voted for graphics.
Grass would be nice to be implemented, changes in the character models so that they can wear cloths :)
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:33:55 pm »
more importantly, models for all the races

Ruya

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:38:46 pm »
I wish we could vote for two!   I'd like expanded graphics, but I'd equally like more settings info.

Overtherainbow

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I see you lookin' at mah rainbowz.
    • View Profile
    • EBONWUMON DOT COM
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:58:36 pm »
Settings.

Also, why have I not been added to the team. I expect you shall quickly rectify this situation.

ncfbn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 11:46:23 pm »
I agree , character models simply because of how disappointing it is to new/potential players when they choose a race and see there is no model for it yet. Also I think having models for all races will lead to a more diverse population.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:59:31 am »
I voted for graphics.
Grass would be nice to be implemented, changes in the character models so that they can wear cloths :)
Having grass on lawn is already implemented (regarding technology and art), but has been deactivated. Was available on the Laanx Temple green and around Harnquist's forge but caused a lot more lag. Was avaialble in the East Passage too. Xordan once developed a massive speedup, but I am not certain if it was ever implemented in that way.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jacula

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:10:37 am »
Public settings, without a doubt. They don't have to be the most epically written nor a full books worth, just a solid foundation to create a specific ambiance in the game, if you will.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:30 am »
*laughs*

Okay...I take my reservations about this project back...there is a good chance it succeeds as it doesn't look like anything new at all...just some people pointing out things that are obvious anyway without the will to try anything new. So sorry...I have a lot of respect for most people in this group...but maybe that is what made me expect a bit more of you.

Better Graphics and more models? Okay, no idea here..it might draw some more people to PS. Still I would argue that this isn't one of the most important things to deal with now. PS just got a new part of Ojaveda...is it used that often?

Settings improvements mean more quests? So in the end nothing will change and the only way to get some infos about PS is doing boring quest? What about releasing even unfinished settings work for players to discuss? What about updating the mainpage? What about giving NPCs in general more knowledge about Yliakum?

Mechanic improvements? Ahm...isn't that the field with most progress in PS within the last two years anyway? So many new skills, recipes, combat improvements, mounts....and what for? The player count getting lower and lower?

Luckily at least the rest doesn't seem to get any votes (yet).

The PlaneShift project has always prided itself on being free and open source, open for anyone to contribute to. The reality is, however, that many players don’t really believe that it is. For a portion of the playerbase, the project seems closed to a large extent and not very open to community contributions.
So, what about this? You think the opinion of the playerbase will change by introducing even one more step between them and the PS team? Maybe I got the intentions wrong...but for me it sounded as if the Skunkwork team wanted to improve the communication between the players and the PS team...not only collect ideas and hand them over. What about some out-of-the-box thinking and suggesting some real changes to the PS team in order to make the development appear more open. What about suggestions allowing players to submit stuff they did for PS more easily? What about coming up with ideas how to make the whole developing process of PS more transparent and giving players a voice in it? For example it's really nice to see that weltall and RlyDontKnow take themselves more time lately and actually explain why some suggestions can't be done or won't be included very soon. But both can only talk about coding issues...every department of PS could do much more PR work like this. And sure...I hear it already...there isn't enough time and manpower for this. Great..and you think a lot more people will apply to the PS team with the current players attitude towards the team? There is really so much more that the Skunkwork team could do than just collecting ideas and hoping that one day the devs will look into them.

In the end it appears this initiative won't bring many people back to PS or attract new ones. Lot people left because the changed hardware requirement and I seriously doubt this team can convince the devs to remove the shader support again (and also don't think it would be a good idea at all). And a lot people left because the game turned more and more into a bad copy of some mainstream mmrpgs...and almost all options in this poll only suggest this should be carried even further. Does anyone really believe PS can compete with most free mmorpgs out there? People will download it, look at it for half an hour then go back to some other free-to-play game.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:32:55 am by Aiwendil »

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 06:04:19 am »
Aiwendil repost this to the Wish List  and the Complaint department,add more details and we would do anything posible so your voice is heard.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 07:30:22 am »
Haha...I bow to you Catlemur..beat me in sarcasm there.

My voice doesn't need to be heard..I'm not part of this community anymore. So just take it as a hint to not repeat the same mistakes the PS team did in the last years also with the Skunkwork team...so that you might save one or two people who are like I used to be from leaving.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:11 am »
I voted setting, because we're totally lacking some roleplayable quests. Graphics worry me though, an improvement to make these crappy graphs less demanding would be perfect. It makes no sense to ask people to have a top notch computer to play PlaneShift...
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 12:55:11 pm »
Aiwendil. Glad to see you're still lurking around. Hope all is well with you. I realise that your experience gives you little faith in what I'm trying to achieve. Thank you for raising your concerns, I will take them to heart and do my best to be an exception to the rule. For clarity's sake let me reiterate what this team is attempting to do.

We are trying to gather information about what players would like to see in the game, various problems that prevent them from enjoying the game fully and then coming up with new and innovative was of dealing with the said problems. We then take the solutions directly to Talad, who will then pass it on to the team for implementation.

Now I realise that a major concern is that Talad is not going to approve anything that's not his idea. I don't believe this is the case, I think he realises that PlaneShift is in need of fresh ideas. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yes similar attempts have been made in the past and have failed. It does not necessarily mean that this is also going to fail. Give me a fair chance to prove it, please.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »
I'm torn between voting for character models, and training/combat mechanics...

However, the imbalance of different armor types, weapons types, and uneven training levels lend too much voice to the side of mechanics

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=37912.0

That's just my thoughts, and specific complaints on the knives and daggers skill, the others make good reading as well....

Please, for as much RP's sake as for anything else, fix weapons and the dreadful imbalance of the current combat system...

Regards, and good luck!
~CD
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.