Poll

Which aspect of the game do you feel needs the most attention?

Graphics (models, textures, animation etc.)
Sound / Music
Settings (Storyline, quests etc.)
Mechanics (Training, Crafting, Combat etc.)
World exansion (maps, items etc.)
Other

Author Topic: PS SkunkWorks Project 01  (Read 5397 times)

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: PS SkunkWorks Project 01
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:13 pm »
  @ Eliseth, "good on ya, mate"  (old Australian expression.... :)

@ Caraick, and the forum.... "what he said."

What I say/add:  please, remember the original purpose of the game.  Have fun.  Not work so hard you think you have become a *gasp* PL'er. Just to get to lvl 7 in cooking.

My three tria.
my name is Sanrai ;)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 01:25:00 am »
Mechanics is the most important, in my opinion. I can't enjoy new art, settings, whatever, if the client doesn't. Freaking. Work. As for balance and skills and all that jazz, still important, but not as much as making sure people can actually run PlaneShift without having to jump through hoops to get the client fired up and then put up with incessant crashes. I'll admit, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be on my computer, but every time I see there's a new update, I still wonder if I'll be able to get in after it's done.

Settings would be the second-most: Complete the settings, make them publicly available. Making more quests can wait; it's probably better to complete the settings first to avoid all the retcons you'd need to do if you did quests first anyway. The rest - graphics, new areas, and sound, can also wait, though it would admittedly be nice to have all the race/gender models.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 02:34:42 am »
Mechanics is the most important, in my opinion. I can't enjoy new art, settings, whatever, if the client doesn't. Freaking. Work. As for balance and skills and all that jazz, still important, but not as much as making sure people can actually run PlaneShift without having to jump through hoops to get the client fired up and then put up with incessant crashes. I'll admit, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be on my computer, but every time I see there's a new update, I still wonder if I'll be able to get in after it's done.
that won't be fixed with skunkwork or any complain get to code and fix it. we can't reproduce these problems so we can't fix them. Most of the crashes doesn't even come from ps code but from cs code only on some particular hw configurations.
Do you want to have it fixed? start building the client. plus what is your hw? the list of players with hw not able to play games here is quite high.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 10:33:36 am »
I think it would be far more beneficial to tackle playability snarls than the superficial stuff like graphics. Things like the insanely complicated and troublesome cooking process, which oddly enough got tweaked into the mess it's in rather than starting that way. However, part of that problem is that it got changed by people that don't actually use the mechanics for it. It might look better in code but it is so not worth it in terms of cooking anything efficiently. Or coming up with plans like preventing players from equipping weapons in a city to drive home the point that the guards exert influence whether a GM is actively playing them or not, or refining Dakkrus curse to nail repeat offenders rather than nail everybody when it could have been a /die to unstick when a GM wasn't around.

@Weltall, chances are that the SkunkWorks group won't suggest anything that can be simply fixed by bringing up the issue. The whole point is just identifying problem areas if I understand right. Very few things will be conceptual problems that a committee can come together to rethink. And on the hardware issue, PS is in no position to expect people to have hardware like is required for other games. It doesn't remotely have the content necessary to justify straining people's computers... and to be honest, PS runs worse on less than required hardware than a lot of other more complicated MMOs. The problem is that PS needs to be streamlined and it doesn't have the people to do it.

However, this attitude is the kind of stuff that made me quite trying to get a group to find solutions to problems. It's not my group wasn't working. They did great, but what's the point if the few devs that are still around are mostly coders which have the "no!" mentality (Although I will give RlyDontKNow credit for doing better about that these days). It's not that you expect a magic wand to materialize and fix stuff but at least if a problem is identified and accepted it might be one day be fixed. But turning your head and acting like there is no possible solution is part of what keep PS running in circles.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 10:41:17 am »
* Elvicat agrees to this and wishes he could actually do something about it without just whining

:whistling:

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 11:53:53 am »
I think it would be far more beneficial to tackle playability snarls than the superficial stuff like graphics. Things like the insanely complicated and troublesome cooking process, which oddly enough got tweaked into the mess it's in rather than starting that way. However, part of that problem is that it got changed by people that don't actually use the mechanics for it. It might look better in code but it is so not worth it in terms of cooking anything efficiently. Or coming up with plans like preventing players from equipping weapons in a city to drive home the point that the guards exert influence whether a GM is actively playing them or not, or refining Dakkrus curse to nail repeat offenders rather than nail everybody when it could have been a /die to unstick when a GM wasn't around.

@Weltall, chances are that the SkunkWorks group won't suggest anything that can be simply fixed by bringing up the issue. The whole point is just identifying problem areas if I understand right. Very few things will be conceptual problems that a committee can come together to rethink. And on the hardware issue, PS is in no position to expect people to have hardware like is required for other games. It doesn't remotely have the content necessary to justify straining people's computers... and to be honest, PS runs worse on less than required hardware than a lot of other more complicated MMOs. The problem is that PS needs to be streamlined and it doesn't have the people to do it.

However, this attitude is the kind of stuff that made me quite trying to get a group to find solutions to problems. It's not my group wasn't working. They did great, but what's the point if the few devs that are still around are mostly coders which have the "no!" mentality (Although I will give RlyDontKNow credit for doing better about that these days). It's not that you expect a magic wand to materialize and fix stuff but at least if a problem is identified and accepted it might be one day be fixed. But turning your head and acting like there is no possible solution is part of what keep PS running in circles.
maybe because i don't swim in the sky?
Let's analyse it then.
The current engine team is composed of me and rlydontknow + 1 prospect, we both have our duties which come to priority as it's obvious and we both have computers which works well with ps. The prospect didn't give any trouble with the engine too.
So what you are asking us to do? find a ghost issue no one here can reproduce? supporting cards here no one has (provided you need also skills in writing shaders which are a different topic than generic programming)?
Do you want to do something useful provide some crash backtrace else your claim is unexistant as it's not possible to investigate on it "i've a crash somewhere in this one milion lines of code (sum cs and ps) i'm sure you can find it" - i'm sure we can't find it. (i think this well explains how it works: http://imgur.com/jacoj ) Do you think i should go and write hate posts in the gnome bugtrackers as they don't fix multimonitor support since 2003? (yes it's still broken in many ways).

Also the stability of the client has increased a lot  but the macosx client is hindering any possible release. shall we drop it? i don't think so even if i wish it daily it's not possible so what? hope someone will be able to build it before the next year.

Have you seen the server? the crashes on it are rare if not almost absent. why? we have ways to see when it crashes what happened and so we can fix it. Right now the crash we have are exotic things like a gm reloading an npc while someone is storing an item on it and clicks in the same exact instant the store button. and this got fixed too quite fast.

yeah i'm too realist... but trying to put up as a problem something which is evident to anyone like some hw crashes (and sorry but an nvidia 7600GS is not so a great piece of hw it's quite crappy but works well. you can't even play at decent framerate a game like oblivion on it while ps works quite well, here we are talking of people wanting to play with intel cards or things which are almost as old as the game itself).
Plus another thing people like to do around here is comparing apples with oranges yes they are both with a circle shape just like both directx and opengl are used to program graphic hw to make something which barely looks like a real world image but opengl wasn't supported by many vendor decently till some years ago like with ati), intel support is called crap in linux even for simple 2d graphics lately and in many cases it's at the level of opengl 1.x: they are complaining about it even to show some wobbly windows in kde, nvidia does up and downs sometimes. directx is the most well supported api but it works only on windows and anyway today it wouldn't be possible to switch to it without rewriting an huge part of the game. Likewise those stating we want to be back to crystal space 1.4 that won't happen. It took almost a year to do the transition and no one is going to convert it back, plus support for cs 1.4 is quite limited: just the other day someone was tryng to build it on a windows machine and it didn't build correctly. I don't know if he was able to figure it out but almost no one could help him as all the development effort is geared toward 1.9 which will become 2.0 and the architecture of the both is changed in a lot of ways.

There is no point in people pointing out that the client crashes and they should be fixed, i complain myself about it more than you think but if there is nothing of the above then it will stay like this because there is no workforce nor  a reproduce-able scenario.

Do you want us to work like any major game or software producer?
ok  -we will work on it-

glad now? PS: it works like security flaws in windows.
i was just told the bootloader of my arm embedded system is broken and i won't see anything working till december and even then i could lack functionalities if all goes well. let's see if they will respect even what they said. ah the revision of september worked flawless... and we are talking of a thing which could make a  business fail and it's supposed to be supported by giants of the computer industry.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:04:15 pm by weltall »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 12:18:53 pm »
It's not that you expect a magic wand to materialize and fix stuff but at least if a problem is identified and accepted it might be one day be fixed. But turning your head and acting like there is no possible solution is part of what keep PS running in circles.

And this is why I gave up... not lack of substantial RP (even though it bothered me greatly), not bugs, not loss of friends in game... but the fact that progress is almost sure to be hindered and working to improve the game is often met with the same mindset by the same people. Shame that it gets cold shoulder long before it gets to Talad even. For all anyone knows, the group could work together to isolate the cause of individual crashes and suggest ways for devs to find it so it can be fixed. Bringing up a problem does not guarantee that it is only a statement that the problem exists.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »
because if talad knows the client crashes a bit too much it will be magically fixed? i doubt it strongly. Considering also he knows perfectly it too. Suggest ways? done above and it's ignored. I think i didn't get a backtrace from anyone in months. plus it seems the only thing we got out which would allow it to be streamlined was received as a monster and wished to be removed.
So what should be done? which group also? we have 2 testers and they even have better hw than me. you've a slight idea on how many crash are handled internally and get fixed because we have backtraces? i think not.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 12:43:02 pm »

Let's turn this frown upside down. It could be used in character development.

A young female Stonehammer walks slowly through the north gates of Hydlaa for the first time. She has come here struggling spiritually; the greatest challenge to her faith is His lesson of Patience. She sighs and asks the absent minded guard the direction to the Temple of Gugrontrid; fearing she may have missed a turn.

[ The story continues.... ]  ;)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
I rest my case... This Eliseth is why I have my doubts. Not because it is a bad idea to get people together but because regardless of how hard you work, anything that you say, well...

... it's ignored...

Eliseth

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Spiffirific
    • View Profile
    • Eliseth's Journal
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 01:43:11 pm »
Ok, our next meeting is tomorrow and our thinking caps will be turned on high as we go into much more specific research. Thanks everyone for you contributions, keep them coming.

It seems to me that there is a definite root problem that is not being addressed. The SkunkWorks are meant to think completely out-of-the-box... and so I was doing just that. By thinking completely creatively about issues, one tends to come up with radical ideas. Ideas that may rattle quite a number of boats.

Please read the SkunkWorks blog and give me some feedback either there or here about it.

https://sites.google.com/site/planeshiftskunkworks/blog

If you're at all interested in what we're doing it may be a good idea to subscribe to the RSS feed.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 01:55:21 pm »
I rest my case... This Eliseth is why I have my doubts. Not because it is a bad idea to get people together but because regardless of how hard you work, anything that you say, well...

... it's ignored...
let me fix your quote

... it's ignored by who has the problem...

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »
A game should be playable by people with minimum computer knowledge, thus knowing how to build the  client should not be a requirement for being able to comfortably play the game. Thus one reason why player count is lower than it need be, players would rather play a game that just works rather than one that you have constantly tweak yourself... That's kinda why most games whether they are commercial or independent try to make stuff just work. ;)

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 02:28:25 pm »
If this was a completed game then your statement would apply Illysia. The fact that this game is still in development and not any where near finished means that the people playing it should have some ability to tweek things or expect that everything isn't going to work perfectly. Normally people with minimum computer knowledge aren't the best beta testers, or really people who get upset and frustrated over things not working correctly aren't the best people to be beta testing new software and that is basically what all of us are doing when we play Planeshift.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 02:33:11 pm »
great! i'm sure you've a deep plan as even withstanding opensource projects fail at this like the great 2.6.36 linux kernel which breaks some marvel ethernet devices and someone who has nothing to do with kernel development fixed (ps it's still not released as the first revision is still not even started), some revisions ago which makes intel ethernets go dead forever. Or X.org problems with just making a third screen work without using specific multi - internal -- card configurations. or xinerama crashing the entire xserver if two different cards are used, or the opps i got two days ago which made my third monitor power off and had to reboot or crashes in firefox each time i press x to close a window or or or. we can continue the list forever there is nothing which just works not even windows linux macosx the last mainstream game or even openoffice ( i remember they still didn't fix dual screen presentations without using xinerama after 2 and 4 months). Or broken lightning, crashes when using dual monitor setups or when entering a door with proper permissions on the game files in amnesia, Or cars going under the road in burnout 4 making it unplayable and frustrating (wait i see something similar). or all those issues in windows since ever. ah just to say windows 2000 has a serious security exploit which they said won't be fixed *ever*. everything just works eh? games with a lot of money and work force fail at it, software with a lot of money and workforce fail at it, opensource fails at it and planeshift is no exception.

the samples i brought were all release not beta alpha w/e software things marked as STABLE for work! planeshift is a beta as i thank sarva for pointing out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:35:52 pm by weltall »