Author Topic: Idea: Community Art Contests  (Read 338 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Idea: Community Art Contests
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »
So I was thinking, the devs are overworked already.  And it seems to me that they're not really utilizing their largest asset - the community.  As a way to speed up development, what if the devs made a list of artwork that needed to be worked on but they haven't gotten around to.  Then every once in a while they could start a contest on the forums for the community to design one of the missing pieces.  It could be as small as an inventory icon for a quest item to as large as a new cave/dungeon.  When the contest is over, the devs can check out the winner to make sure it meets their quality standards and doesn't conflict with settings in any way.  If everything checks out, it can be added to the game.

As for rewards, I would think the satisfaction of seeing one's own artwork in the game would be rewarding enough.  Also, contest winners could have their names put in a special thanks section of the credits.  As a bonus, it might be nice for first-time winners to receive a special artist cap in-game or something, but that's not the point.

A couple of rules:
1. Artwork must be completely original
2. Contestants must agree that if their work is chosen, it can be released under PlaneShift's art license.  Sorry, but from everything I've seen/heard this is never going to change.

Please, please, PLEASE do not turn this into yet another thread complaining about PS's art license.  Please.  I'm begging you.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Idea: Community Art Contests
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:00:41 am »
Thank you for "re-inventing the wheel"... ;)

The participation in the first one I planned, "By the Gods! - How do they look at all?", was rather average, and the reaction of the development ... marginal.

Good luck in getting more attention. :thumbup:

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:12:03 am »
Well... there aren't many active artists...

tman: the idea is good, I would also participate, if there weren't 2 problems keeping me from it.
1. I can't use blender. I tried, but don't have the patience to really learn how to use it
2. I only do traditional arts or whatever you want to call it, using pencil and a paper. Why I don't do digital one? Simple... I don't have the tools for it. Drawing with the usual mouse on a pc is simply stupid...

Though I have been considering for a while to change that so I can try my hands on digital arts as well. But I couldn't decide until now if I should do it or not. And then if I should get a graphic tablet or a tablet. My brother has been using his tablet as a graphic tablet and it seems to work fine for him...

MellasFenixxes

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Melly on DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:11 am »
2. I only do traditional arts or whatever you want to call it, using pencil and a paper. Why I don't do digital one? Simple... I don't have the tools for it. Drawing with the usual mouse on a pc is simply stupid...

Just -had- to respond to this. I used a mouse for every digital drawing I've done so far D: Don't underestimate the mousepower!

As for the idea, I like it alot, and I think Planeshift should definitely give it another try. Now that they've made a DA group I think they have a chance at more publicity as well, and as such more entries. :) Also, as you know, timing is important, people tend to have much more free time during the summer vacations.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:04 am »
1. I can't use blender. I tried, but don't have the patience to really learn how to use it

It wouldn't have to be just 3d art.  It could be 2d art for item icons, loading screens, the web site etc. or even other art like in-game music and sounds.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:46:50 pm »

Just -had- to respond to this. I used a mouse for every digital drawing I've done so far D: Don't underestimate the mousepower!

As for the idea, I like it alot, and I think Planeshift should definitely give it another try. Now that they've made a DA group I think they have a chance at more publicity as well, and as such more entries. :) Also, as you know, timing is important, people tend to have much more free time during the summer vacations.

Yeah, regarding the point on the mouse, some people can do freakin' amazing art with one. Takes a ton of talent and makes me incredibly jealous, too. ;D
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa