Author Topic: IMPORTANT: EZPC server migration.  (Read 2778 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
IMPORTANT: EZPC server migration.
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:03:34 am »
Hi,
the Ezpc server started as an experiment in 2009 to separate the roleplayers and the non roleplayers. The idea was to keep the two groups separate and also use ezpc to test new features. The experiment has not been very successfull because the ezpc server has an average about 5-8 players these days (on a total of about 300 active players), and the vast majority of the players are using the rp server.

The GM team is focused on the main server, and so the service to new players on ezpc is not really up to the standards we would like to have. All events are run on the main server (including guildhouse auctions and meet the devs), so ezpc players cannot benefit from those at the moment. In addition many new players just try one of the two and if they end up on ezpc they find a very empty and not populated world, so they quit. Ezpc is bad advertizing for us in terms of having an empty server, and not enough players.

After about 3 years of experimenting this idea, I consider the experiment closed and I want to reconsolidate the players into the main server. If the player base will grow significantly, we may think to open a separate server again, but probably in that case will be for different languages or regions. The benefits will be to provide more GM time and more events to all players, and to ensure new players find a populated and lively community.

The transition will be done in steps:
1) remove the ezpc register link on the main page, all new players will go to zeroping. [DONE]
2) migrate all the active accounts and characters to the zeroping server.  Active means all accounts and players logged in in the last 3 months and with more than 6 hours of gameplay. [DONE]
3) remove the ezpc server from the client
4) convert ezpc to a server where devs and contributors can test new features. The server will still be open to "curious" people if they want to connect anyway, but there will be no guarantee they chars will stay intact, as we may wipe the server at any time.

Data which is ported to the zeroping server:

Accounts (including passwords) which have been active in the last 90 days
    Characters which are linked to the accounts above.
        Skills
        Stats
        Items
        Glyphs
        Spells
        Quests
        Money
        Faction Standings
        Bank/Storage Items
    Windows and shortcut settings (this is client side)

Data which is NOT ported to the zeroping server:

Buddy List
    Marriage
    Pets
    Mounts
    Guilds (will have to be reformed on the zeroping server, we can manually change the creation date if you want to keep it)
    Guild membership
    Guildhouses keys
    Alliances
    Items guarded but on the ground, or inside guildhouses

Special Cases

If the same account exists on both servers the account will not be copied over
    If the number of characters on both servers exceeds 4 the ones exceeding will not be ported (ensure to delete the ones you don't needed and keep just 4 total BEFORE the migration)
    If a character name is not acceptable (ex.: KingOfAllPies) the character will be renamed automatically by us.
    If a character name is the same between ezpc and zeroping, the char on zeroping will be kept and no migration will happen for this char.

Roleplay
Players can follow the style of play they prefer, with the note that players not very keen on roleplay should always approach new/unknown players in a roleplay way, while they can keep their own style with existing friends/buddies they know they have their playing style. We are thinking to add a flag to distinguish players who are willing to roleplay (for example in the /who command) to facilitate the creation of groups and roleplay events.

FAQ

Q: Should chars migrated from EZPC roleplay on Zeroping?
A: See Roleplay chapter above.

Q: I cannot login with my migrated account, it says user/pass are invalid.
A: If the account was present on both servers, please note that the password to use is the one you had on zeroping server, not the EZPC one. If you still fail to connect, just go to the recover password page.

Q: I cannot login with my migrated account, it says account not verified.
A: If the account was present on both servers, please be sure you had validated the account on the new server. To validate it just to go to the reset password page, and select : "resend verification email". This will validate the account on the new server in case this has never been done before.

Q: My char or my account has not been migrated.
A: Read the rules above of what is considered an "active" character. Only accounts with active characters have been ported. Only active characters have been ported.

Q: Is there a way to request a migration of a char even if it was not "active" up to today?
A: Visit us on IRC and we will see what we can do. But please remember we have limited resources to do this.

Q: I lost my mount, how can I get it back?
A: Mounts have not been ported, please wait 14 December 2011 and then redo the quest related to mounts. We will remove the quests on 13 December from all migrated chars, so you can redo it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:09:47 am by Talad »

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: IMPORTANT: EZPC server migration.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:54 am »
I have concern that those coming over from the non-RP server will continue to chat in main in a non-RP way. Though you haven't said it, I suspect that this will not be allowed. If my assumption is correct, I'll help educate and integrate these players into the community. Will there be a way to know who these people are?

Keep up the good work.
Miomai is currently sane.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:38:01 am »
Just about all the currently active people on EZ belong to the same guild there. I've talked to the leader there and the leader of the guild plays on both servers and said he will talk to his guild about respecting the players on Zeroping and things like OOC in main. I'm sure there will be a period where old habits will be hard to break but hopefully there can be some understanding and tolerance during the adjustment period from everyone.

Tlok

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:41:24 am »
Roleplay
Players can follow the style of play they prefer, with the note that players not very keen on roleplay should always approach new/unknown players in a roleplay way, while they can keep their own style with existing friends/buddies they know they have their playing style. We are thinking to add a flag to distinguish players who are willing to roleplay (for example in the /who command) to facilitate the creation of groups and roleplay events.

As one of the players being moved (and I started on the RP server first because I want to RP, but created the non-RP account after I realized I couldn't figure out the game on my own and was worried that my questions would disrupt the role-play of others) I think a single binary flag is insufficient. Some people may want to stay in character 100% of the time and any OOC breaks the magic for them, while others may like IC but are happy to mix in OOC, and still others may not want to bother with IC at all. I think my "happy spot" is probably around 2/3 RP, 1/3 OOC, but at my current knowledge of the game I'm not ready yet.

So having that flag/level/marker user adjustable would be a great feature too. And maybe give us novices a way to see the flag as part of the floating name - so we could avoid people we might needlessly aggravate, or focus on people we know would not be put out by our inexperience. We could turn off that view when we are more comfortable with the game and feel we can make initial contact sufficiently IC.

Just like "/advice on" lets you see who needs help, "/showflags on" would let you see who is offering help and make the RP server less intimidating.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:06:21 am »
How about the players whose mains are in Zeroping but do have a few chars in EzpcUSA to play while the main RP server is under maintenance or down? Some of them are named after our characters in Zeroping, and that might arise some conflict. Will the players with this kind of characteristics be informed with some kind of generic message or what will happen?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 11:59:48 am »
Miskha, I've added it to the special cases.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 07:20:02 pm »
Who can I send a list of accounts that can be deleted instead of transfered? I recently logged into most of them to update the password hash but there are none there that do not have other accounts associated at Zeroping.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »
Just delete the chars present in those accounts, and will not be migrated. We migrate only accounts with active characters.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:45:57 pm »
MIGRATION IS NEAR !!!

Please help us to make the migration as smooth as possible:

- Delete all chars you don't want to be ported from ezpc (if those have less than 6 hours of gameplay will be ignored anyway)
- If you don't want to port your ezpc account, just delete all the chars it contains and it will not be ported.
- If you have 2 chars with the same name in ezpc and in zeroping, please delete the char you don't want to keep.
- If you have more than 4 characters total between zeroping and ezpc with the same email, please delete the excess ones

shrapnel

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »
Okay, I've got an account on both servers, with only one character on EZPC, and fortunately one open slot on Zero Ping. Admittedly my EZPC character hasn't had much time in-game (<6 hrs). It would still be nice to see the character brought over so I can get a feel for that character in a more populated environment.

[For those who are in charge of this transition, BOTH ZeroPing and  EZPC accounts use the same email, and that is the same email linked to my forum account here.]

If there is special instructions I need to follow to see this done, please let me know as I probably missed them.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:00:04 pm by shrapnel »

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:31:01 pm »
if it's less then 6 hours it will not be ported. Connect for few hours more and he will.

NoriMori

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:31:18 pm »
I actually like this. I've never played on Zeroping, so while I was aware that Ezpcusa had way fewer players, I've never had any experience with how many players there are on Zeroping. Now I'm excited about it, maybe I'll have more fun on Zeroping and I'll start playing this more often, instead of not coming on for weeks at a time.

The only thing that bothers me is the whole roleplay dilemma. I really, really don't like roleplaying, except for some very rare cases where I'm feeling in the mood for it. It's kind of ironic... If Zeroping had as few people as Ezpcusa it probably wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be talking to people very often. -_-"  But now there will be more people and I might find myself in more situations where someone talks to me in a roleplaying fashion... DX

Ah well. I'm sure I'll live. :P  I'm a little freaked out, but it's not a bad feeling. :)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:22 am »
I'm a little freaked out, but it's not a bad feeling. :)

Anytime you'd like to some hunting east towards Ojaveda just look up Venorel at Gugrontid. A comprimise of an OOC Group Chat could be opened for the hunt.  ;)

- Nova

KayKay76

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:19 am »
Hello. I just saw the news today-the 10th and read the migration info! My
question is, have all player characters from EZPC been transfered? I have 2
characters on EZPC and one on ZEROping. And I use the same  e-mail address
for both and the forum. I haven't been in game on either site or forum,
because of time and computer issues. I just popped on today. Have all transfers
been made? Is it too late for my EZPC characters to be moved?  Wish I
would have had a e-mail notice sent.  Thanks for any reply.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »
Migration will happen today!!