Author Topic: Planeshift Names?  (Read 874 times)

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Planeshift Names?
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:21:28 am »
Hey this isnt really a complaint but, do names in Planshift have to be unique. I mean if you name your character Paul Henderson or something, would that be illegal? Would a gm ask for it to be changed? and also why? I played 4 years ago and back then I don't think having unique names mattered. There was this guy running around and his name was Http, and also this friend of mine named Lavender. So i am wondering if it has changed or if it is necessary to have a unique name to get into PS now?

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Planeshift Names?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 06:17:37 am »
Paul Henderson rofl, that name sounds familiar  ???

And yes according to some random 'RP' rule real life names are not allowed in PS they must be 'unique'. But the name Lavender I would actually think it should be alright since there is IG a flower called Lavender (or something a rather) So really it's like calling someone Daisy.

But to be honest some of the greatest RP games such as CoTH let people use names such as Lavender or Paul Henderson. It's really a silly PS rule to try make the game more immersed.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 09:08:37 am »
"Real life" names are allowed; but they must not belong to a celebrity. People playing PlaneShift shall not meet a character with a name that makes then possibly biased of expecting a specific look, character, behaviour...

Wikipedia knows "Paul Henderson" as journalist (winning a Pulitzer Prize), cricketer, footballer, lead singer, sailor (in a Hall of Fame), Australian politician ... I believe that name, specifically, is quite famous, that won't be accepted.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Snowfaerie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • Siloria
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 11:48:57 am »
It's really a silly PS rule to try make the game more immersed.

I wouldn't say that... it makes me a bit annoyed if a game has 70 Hermione Grangers, Legolases and Aragorns running around the place. :)
When I am older, I shall wear midnight. But not today.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 12:01:08 pm »
Note there are problems when you have a character named after an object or item in game. For example a player made a drawing of Marathal and called the book the drawing was in marathal. The end result was we couldn't get the info for the GM character marathal sicne when you did an /info on marathal we got the book info not the character info. So having a character named Lavender when there are objects or items also named Lavender would create the same problems.

If PLaneshift is just going to copy what other game do then what is the point of creating PLaneshift? The idea is to have something different than what already exists out there. If you think other games is that much better because they have different naming guidelines then you are welcome to enjoy those other games.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:39:48 pm »
@Ligh Paul Henderson Is Vvallace.

@Maisent How come you use Vvallace name/chars in damn near all your posts? why are you so obssessed with him, is he your lover :3
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 04:10:24 pm »
@Ligh Paul Henderson Is Vvallace.

@Maisent How come you use Vvallace name/chars in damn near all your posts? why are you so obssessed with him, is he your lover :3

ROFLMFAO no, it's the first name i cam up with 0.0

Anyways,
Long time ago anyone could choose their own names and not have it changed, For example, there was this guy named 'Ulbernaut' and again 'Http'. I think I also added a 'Harnquist' to my buddy list but I am not sure if i added the NPC or if it was actually a real player.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 06:32:48 pm »
you added npc for both. the system never allowed duplicates to players (before not even to gm).
never seen an http in game i think you are talking of ezpcusa

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »
Note there are problems when you have a character named after an object or item in game. For example a player made a drawing of Marathal and called the book the drawing was in marathal. The end result was we couldn't get the info for the GM character marathal sicne when you did an /info on marathal we got the book info not the character info. So having a character named Lavender when there are objects or items also named Lavender would create the same problems.

If PLaneshift is just going to copy what other game do then what is the point of creating PLaneshift? The idea is to have something different than what already exists out there. If you think other games is that much better because they have different naming guidelines then you are welcome to enjoy those other games.

Esorono has it also  ;D Dannae made it.

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:41:24 pm »

And yet they are wondering why the player community is at a major low. I am not saying that they are better, I am saying PlaneShift is being a little stupid by thinking that having 'immersed/unique' names to make them sound more RP, when other greater RP games allow it. It really annoys me when people say that Sarva, I just said an opinion and you start telling me to leave PlaneShift...? How is PlaneShift going to grow if they can't discuss things that maybe interesting to see why they are set that way, it is still a beta game right?

@LigH - wouldn't that mean that the guild name, House Cheshire should really change their name? Cheshire is a name of a 'famous/well known' cat. I am not meaning they should, I am meaning according to LigH they should.

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 12:24:00 am »
you added npc for both. the system never allowed duplicates to players (before not even to gm).
never seen an http in game i think you are talking of ezpcusa

Weltall, i am talking about years ago, more like 4. I'm sure there was an Http and also i added harnquist and ulbernaut to my buddy list. There is also a screenshot of a person named 'Ulbernaut' shown online in one of the screenshots i wa slooking at. I can post the picture.

link:
http://www.thewarriorsguild.nl/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=126
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:29:05 am by Maisent »

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 03:25:34 am »
Vaka, the 'main' reason why people cant have the same names is becuase the buddy list, and the /tell system both go on first names, if more then one person had the same first name, you would end up adding 2 or 3 people when you meant to add 1, or you would send a /tell to everyone with that name..the point is the system cant work with it.

If you want to have a character with the same last name as another, as in brother/sister, you can get a gm to do it, otherwise, blame the system.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 04:27:25 am »
even with the system in place writing name and surname is extremely annoying to send messages.
As i've said above before you could add npc and no that's not a player.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 05:18:45 am »
Vaka, the 'main' reason why people cant have the same names is becuase the buddy list, and the /tell system both go on first names, if more then one person had the same first name, you would end up adding 2 or 3 people when you meant to add 1, or you would send a /tell to everyone with that name..the point is the system cant work with it.
I never said anything about having the same name...? And I know that, but what I am saying is I think it is stupid that you can't have the name Paul Henderson, and there reason is it makes it more immersed (for RP) when major RP games allow normal names like Paul Henderson.

If you want to have a character with the same last name as another, as in brother/sister, you can get a gm to do it, otherwise, blame the system.
Vakachehk Kivikar - Kivikar is also Akaiddo's last name so I already know that. Thanks to HaniX :)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 07:01:29 am »
@ Vakachehk:

Myysst Cheshire existed already so many years ago... I don't believe there is still much reason to change his name due to the "Cheshire Cat" from Alice in Wonderland: Lots of Game Masters will have noticed already, and not one of them already started acting. This name may have a little "oldbie honour". Doing it now would probably require a command from the top of the hierarchy.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty