Author Topic: awareness  (Read 466 times)

tybrus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
awareness
« on: January 15, 2004, 12:49:06 pm »
I have an idea that can possibly balance the playing field on the PK issue

The basic concept of my idea is the use of a skill or statistic that allows your  character to have more knowledge of other players around yourself.  (an Awareness stat or skill)  This would allow for Pking to still be executed in the field, but give the character being attacked a better chance to defend himself.

I have yet  to think of a suitable idea of how this could be executed in game (radars, like those on FPS have no place in a MMORPG).  

The idea came to me from a completely asinine location (Spiderman?s Spider Sense ability) so it may have no place in the game at all. Just idea.

Thanks
Death is but a door. Time is but a window.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 01:09:07 pm »
While this idea is not all bad, the ?radar? how it affects PK is a mystery to me. You have perhaps an extra second to run, or the sneak thief type (that does not appear on your radar) hit?s you with a strong poison so you die a few steps after running away.
-Paxx

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 01:46:15 am »
The radar idea has been implemented in Shadowbane.  

I have mixed feelings about the idea.  It can help cut down on hacking and griefing, but it also reduces role play and emersion .  Hacker programs will give players \"radar\" and present it in a easy to see format.  If the client program already has this feature, then there is little need to make a program to do such a thing.   I am thinking about Everquest here.  On the Red server using the hacker program \"show EQ\"  you had a disadvantage to players that used the program.  What this means in a PvP game is that you know how many, from what dirrection, and how healthy your enemy is.  The element of surprise and terrain advantage features are gone.  Griefers like to use game quirks and lag to attack players that are sure kills.  If you can see them comming in time you can run away, teleport, recall, summon friends, hide, or what ever you think best.  Invisiblility can be made to defeat radar, but that encourages hacker to make programs that show invisible players.

MMORPG gamers can be subdivided into two groups ( I am sure other subgroups can be made), players who ignore moral standards while in game and those who despite being in a vertural world still live by some moral code. Some MMORPGs favor those players who are ruthless while online.  I am actually thinking of the old UO and EQ\'s red servers and not SB.