Author Topic: Mine Indicators  (Read 2138 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Indicators
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 11:38:30 am »
Well, maybe smaller signs--different models--would help.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 12:04:02 pm »

Does this help?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 12:12:48 pm »
Nope.....

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 01:33:54 am »
i never understood the mining situation. Mining should be taking place underground, in a mine shaft or such. Rarely would a payload vein be found at the surface. Digging at the surface is for prospectors, looking for signs of ore deeper beneath the surface. I think an actual mine shaft structure that you can enter into makes the most sense. There would still be a sense of having to search for the entrance if it is placed out in the wilderness. NPCs can give verbal directions without there having to be roadsigns or visual cues on the map.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Sirial

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 02:17:26 am »
i never understood the mining situation. Mining should be taking place underground, in a mine shaft or such. Rarely would a payload vein be found at the surface. Digging at the surface is for prospectors, looking for signs of ore deeper beneath the surface. I think an actual mine shaft structure that you can enter into makes the most sense. There would still be a sense of having to search for the entrance if it is placed out in the wilderness. NPCs can give verbal directions without there having to be roadsigns or visual cues on the map.

Did i mention the whole Yliakum is underground?  :whistling:
Aniroho Aimirrel (Researcher in Knowledge Seekers)
Terelen Honoro (Captain of the Iron Claw)

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 02:45:03 am »

You know, as far as i know planeshift is not a real life simulation, so not everything should be excactly like in real world.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 09:27:38 am »
Not to mention PS doesn't have an art Dev right now. Nevertheless, some of PS' veins were underground. However, surface veins are a playability convenience. If you make things too much like real life then people will avoid the game for the same reasons they don't do things in real life.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:49 am »
I'm all for mine shafts and visible ore veins.

Wait. I want to play Minecraft.

Never mind.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 10:03:00 pm »
* Aramara Meibi plays minecraft on the regs, but hasn't touched PS in years

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 10:42:59 pm »
Aramara Meibi is a creeper!

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:03 pm »
SSSSSSssssssssss BAM!

Can-ned Food

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Many ask what The Can contains, but few will know.
    • View Profile
    • an OpenDocument Spreadsheet for planning your character's stats profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 01:25:09 am »
Among my list of things to attempt with UE4 is to develop a module which marks sites on the terrain where a player has discovered a vein.

I haven't been discussing this with any of the devs as of yet, because I only recently formulated it.  Unless UE4 PlaneShift is planned to allow add–ons for the interface in the same way that some other MMOGs do, it would require first exposing that functionality.

I personally think that some veins could be more obvious than others, but I do like the obscurity of most:  that way, the whole procedure is rather like exploring and prospecting for lodes.  You can also follow other miners to see where they go.

What the devs ought do is to ensure that sites for mining aren't placed haphazardly:  they should be clustered in such a way as would make sense if there really was a larger lode underneath the exposed veins.
Gedundk Kokro, kran
Ailela Belair, nolthrir
Hwokmar Cmar, ynnwn

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2018, 03:02:56 am »
Pretty much the same for plants: Some spots are not at all related to mentioned places in their descriptions (e.g. White Oak should be on top of hills, and Red Mangrove should be more or less inside lakes or close to them).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

albert I

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 04:00:27 pm »
Among my list of things to attempt with UE4 is to develop a module which marks sites on the terrain where a player has discovered a vein.

I haven't been discussing this with any of the devs as of yet, because I only recently formulated it.  Unless UE4 PlaneShift is planned to allow add–ons for the interface in the same way that some other MMOGs do, it would require first exposing that functionality.

I personally think that some veins could be more obvious than others, but I do like the obscurity of most:  that way, the whole procedure is rather like exploring and prospecting for lodes.  You can also follow other miners to see where they go.

What the devs ought do is to ensure that sites for mining aren't placed haphazardly:  they should be clustered in such a way as would make sense if there really was a larger lode underneath the exposed veins.
I write in this old post, because it's about digging and mining. And now metal mines and jewelry are much to be improved.
What will the excavation look like in the new engine? Can we find old tools, rubble ...? or it would be like Minecraft. Where can we dig for the richest veins?

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 02:12:31 am »
You may find the mines in game to be somewhat improved in Unreal: