Author Topic: Death of an Atheist  (Read 9024 times)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Death of an Atheist
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2009, 01:36:06 pm »
Of course, all who wanted to play Klyros could go around saying 'bless this and that' and not mean it, but that just seems stupid.
That's what everyone is doing though.  Worship in PlaneShift is a matter of utility, not belief or lifestyle.  People worship gods because of the rewards they get.  Morality isn't a factor, nor is believing the god is good.  There are exceptions, but they're a minority.

The settings might change of course.  And new settings might be revealed to us that change how we understand the relationship between the people in Yliakum and the gods.  But as things are, this is how it is... you worship a God because it would be foolish not to do so, since so many survival benefits come from worshiping a God.  The settings tell us that Yliakum is such a dangerous place that our characters are obsessed with survival.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2009, 01:44:35 am »
I was meaning leave it to the devs to decide how penalties/benefits should be applied in game.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2009, 02:10:50 am »
I was meaning leave it to the devs to decide how penalties/benefits should be applied in game.
Absolutely.  It's silly to argue over something we haven't had a chance to test yet.
Immaturity is FTW.

BlueScreenJunky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2009, 03:18:26 pm »
Of course, all who wanted to play Klyros could go around saying 'bless this and that' and not mean it, but that just seems stupid.
Isn't that called roleplaying ?
I mean of course the player doesn't believe in any PS deity (or if that's the case, (s)he should get some help IRL ^^), but if his/her character talks and acts as a believer would, then there's nothing wrong with that. You can roleplay a character whose beliefs are totally different from yours, you just have to roleplay it consistantly.

Besides, I don't see a reason why we couldn't give some advantages to believers if that helps to maintain a good believers/atheists ratio. After all, a believer has to spend some time praying etc. and is restricted in his actions, so (s)he chould have some kind of a reward since an Atheist will have more time to do other things (working, mining, training...) and have more freedom of action.
Besides, the situation is different from the real world : IRL the gods either don't exist, or don't care about us, or interact with us through very subtle touches. As I see it, gods in planeshift interact more directly with the mortals, so it would be easier for a character to believe in them than it is for a player.
sig removed, it was kinda big ^^

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2009, 07:54:55 pm »
I think everyone in Ylikaum believes in the Gods.  The key concept is worship.  In planeshift, there are no atheists in the sense of people who believe the Gods don't exist.  Rather, atheist in Yliakum is a word used to describe people who believe in the gods, but do not worship them.

This is my current understanding.  I've been working hard to understand this issue but I'm always open to correction.
Immaturity is FTW.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2009, 05:12:44 am »
@Zanzi
that sounds about right, gods being a natural part of life in Yliakum, denying their existance is like saying there's no crystal or there is no such thing as a Kran, but there will always be those that don't or refuse to worship them.
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947